Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

AbFab/Keeping Up Appearances remastered--no Blu?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted August 10 2013 - 12:12 PM

TVShowsOnDVD.com has announced that both Absolutely Fabulous and Keeping Up Appearances will be remastered (the former only the first three series) and re-released as complete series sets on DVD. Why, if they went to the trouble of remastering these shows, are they not being released on Blu-ray as well?What a missed opportunity.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 10 2013 - 01:22 PM

The first three series of "AbFab" were done on videotape (as was the whole of "Keeping Up Appearances", I believe), so those wouldn't look as optimal on Blu-ray.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted August 10 2013 - 02:02 PM

If we've learned one thing over the years, the two most ambiguous words in home theatre are 'remastered' and 'restored' .

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,203 posts

Posted August 10 2013 - 03:59 PM

I got the Keeping Up Appearances DVD set for my folks a few years ago, so why is this being re-released, unless there is new material to be included as part of the remastered set...anything to make a quick buck nowadays, I guess.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 10 2013 - 04:00 PM

Probably some new extras material but that is about all...  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 10 2013 - 04:03 PM

Extras according to TVShowsonDVD:

[*]Outtakes
    [*]Classic interviews with Patricia Routledge and Judy Cornwall
    [*]Retrospective pieces: "Comedy Connections" and "Funny Women: Patricia Routledge"
    [*]"Kitty Monologues" - Clips of Patricia Routledge as "Kitty," another brilliant character
    [*]A newly commissioned featurette about eccentric British style
    [*]A newly recorded interview with Patricia Routledge
    [*]

[*]

[*][color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, 'SunSans-Regular';font-size:12px;]Taken from:http://www.tvshowson...4#ixzz2bc8hRqO0[/color]
    [/list]

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,598 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 10 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hopefully season 2 of AbFab will keep "Wheels on Fire" as the theme; seasons 1 and 3 did, but season 2, inexplicably, did not. I think there were other minor music-related cuts I hope will be restored.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,105 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 10 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hopefully season 2 of AbFab will keep "Wheels on Fire" as the theme; seasons 1 and 3 did, but season 2, inexplicably, did not. I think there were other minor music-related cuts I hope will be restored.

Although possible, if the BBC make music-related cuts or substitutions, they don't usually reverse them.

Even though the shows were shot-on-tape, it's possible they're having actual restoration to make them look better. After multiple releases, the BBC did so some actual restoration work on the most recent sets of Fawlty Towers and Blackadder, and those shows have never looked better (I think in the case of Fawlty, some or all of the original film inserts still existes and were cleaned up and re-inserted, as I recall, as has been done with some of the Doctor Who DVDs).

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted August 11 2013 - 02:28 AM

The first three series of "AbFab" were done on videotape (as was the whole of "Keeping Up Appearances", I believe), so those wouldn't look as optimal on Blu-ray.

But in the case of AbFab, the recent reunion specials were shot in HD, so it would be nice to view them in the highest possible quality and an SD downgrade.

If Poirot could be released on Blu (I know, different studio) surely these two could be as well.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,598 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 11 2013 - 02:26 PM

Did either of these shows have film inserts? IIRC, the exterior scenes were on tape.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 11 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm not sure - perhaps not.  The location-based portions always looked like tape to me.  

Edited by classicmovieguy, August 11 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted August 11 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yes, most infamously, the cut of Edina quoting "Like a Prayer" and the "new" theme song obscuring end credits dialogue. Later, in Season 5, they lose a segment where the cast spoofs Chicago. And weren't the musical performances featuring Marianne Faithfull edited out of Last Shout?

Yeah, why was it OK for S1 and S3 to have the original theme and well-known songs (You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and Jackie appear in episodes, for instance), but not S2?  Never got that. 

I won't replace the "white" set of S1-3 until someone comes up with an unaltered version (and didn't WB release the original Ab Fab sets, actually?)  Plus the original series is the one I care about the most...the others were never the same, and Saffy...I wish someone would throttle her because of how she acted from Series 4 and up! 

As for KUA...I wish someone would have done a tribute to Mary Millar, who MADE the Rose character and is one of the few replacement Scrappies who were not actually Scrappies. 

Edited by JMFabianoRPL, August 11 2013 - 04:48 PM.

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 11 2013 - 04:53 PM

All those edits aren't an issue in the UK and Australian sets... I've always wondered why the "Chicago" spoof was cut from the American release.  Is it because the Broadway revival of "Chicago", which is still running, prevents any other televised performance?

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted August 11 2013 - 05:36 PM

I don't think they cut any music from KUA...they did a lot of show tunes which seem intact on the old dvd.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,105 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 12 2013 - 04:55 AM

I don't think they cut any music from KUA...they did a lot of show tunes which seem intact on the old dvd.

Maybe he was referring to AbFab instead?

#16 of 36 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,935 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 05:49 AM

All those edits aren't an issue in the UK and Australian sets... I've always wondered why the "Chicago" spoof was cut from the American release.  Is it because the Broadway revival of "Chicago", which is still running, prevents any other televised performance?

I don't think it has anything to do with any current production. It's just that the legalities in America are different from Europe. The same thing happened to a Doctor Who episode where Ticket To Ride was on the UK release, but cut from the US release.If I recall correctly, in Europe, they negotiate an all-encompassing usage right, while in America, each and every song has to be negotiated individually

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 08:54 AM

Maybe he was referring to AbFab instead?

I wasn't responding to another post; I was chiming in on KUA because nobody'd brought up its music as of yet.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,105 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 12 2013 - 02:05 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with any current production. It's just that the legalities in America are different from Europe. The same thing happened to a Doctor Who episode where Ticket To Ride was on the UK release, but cut from the US release.

If I recall correctly, in Europe, they negotiate an all-encompassing usage right, while in America, each and every song has to be negotiated individually

This is even true of DVD releases of American shows. The edits/substitutions of '50s pop songs that plagued the US releases of Happy Days had no effect on the UK releases, which were able to keep them.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yes, most infamously, the cut of Edina quoting "Like a Prayer" and the "new" theme song obscuring end credits dialogue. Later, in Season 5, they lose a segment where the cast spoofs Chicago. And weren't the musical performances featuring Marianne Faithfull edited out of Last Shout?

The musical performances with Marianne Faithfull from The Last Shout have not been edited from the American release of those episodes. However, the theme song was replaced with the instramental version. Also there is a song that is edited out of The Last Shout. It's the scene where P.P. Arnold is signing The First Cut Is The Deepest.Also there is a minor edit in the episode Gay (the New York Special). The Gay episode, season 5 and White Box all had the original opening theme replaced with the instramental version of Wheels on Fire. The anniversary specials (when released in America) completley replaced Wheels on Fire with Sweet Dreams by the EurythmicsI have all of the edited pieces from Absolutley Fabulous and have managed to re-insert them in the appropriate episodes. I just haven't gotten around to assembling my 100% complete and uncut version of the series.

Edited by Brian Himes, August 12 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,105 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 13 2013 - 07:34 AM

The editing for AbFab sounds about as bad as Only Fools and Horses. Glad I'm not a fan of the former. Still holding onto my VHS tapes of the latter given the sorry state of the show's edit history on DVD (all regions having somewhat differering bits left out and/or changed).

Edited by AndyMcKinney, August 13 2013 - 07:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users