What's new

Help with eQuipment for 5.1 headphones (1 Viewer)

frostfrank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Ford
First some background:Me - Retired (73), computer programming background, limited AV knowledge, on a budget.------------------------------------------Present AV equipment -TV = JVC SP55M-CReceiver = Yamaha RX-V495DVD Player = Panasonic PV-D4732Speakers = low buck 5.1As you can see the receiver and DVD are both old and low buck.No HDMI on either.No advanced Dolby on either.Both have Digital Audio - Optical. This is used from DVD to Receiver.I output video via component.--------------------------------------------The problem:I am VERY hard of hearing!My wife is not!Speakers don't work for us both.---------------------------------------------What I want to do:I can live with the video we have.I can live with the speaker/audio.I want to add (one) 5.1 headphone with volume control.My wife wants to use speakers.----------------------------------------------Questions:Can I do that with present equipment?If not what is the minimum equipment needed?-----------------------------------------------I have tried to research this but have ended up more confused then when I started.I can't tell if any of the receivers or DVD/Blu-Ray players output to 5.1 headphones.Could be age.Blu-Ray would be nice but not essential (price).Make/model recommendations appreciated.I will be glad to supply additional info.Thanks for any help,Frank

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

frostfrank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Ford
Thanks for the reply.
Given that I can get some headphones what do I need to drive them?
Frank

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those need nothing. Your DVD player(how do you get broadcast?) goes straight to these, just like it goes to the Yamaha. These do NOT connect to the Yamaha.

You need one of these (not necessarily this one, this is merely the first one that comes up searching "toslink splitter" on Amazon. Buy one based on your budget/quality preference)
http://www.amazon.com/Wholesale-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Splitter/dp/B000I97G4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376162051&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+splitter+1+in+2+out

Edit:

I just found a 495 on Ebay, there is no reason to involve the 495 with these headphones...unless you wanted to listen to AM/FM or cd's.

Those headphones have one toslink, one digital coax and an analog. You "could" connect your tape out(on the back of the 495) if you wanted to listen to anything from the Yamaha(that was also connected analog...your three digital inputs will not exit the tape out).

frostfrank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Ford
Thanks again,I like this because it does not require a new DVD or receiver.
I know it's hard when I am asking for a low cost option.I see how this works but I have three questions.1 - This dosn't seem to give me volumn control.2 - I would need a less expensive headphone option.3 - Is there a headphone amp with volumn control for the DVD optical out (inxpensive)?I know that I am asking a lot of people to do my research but I really do appricate the help.Frank

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. Yes it does. It is wireless with onboard sound controls.
2. 5.1 headphones aren't "cheap". They only get down to the $250 range.
3. You'd have to lose the 5.1.

frostfrank

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Ford
Sam,
I think that this is all I need.
You have been a hugh help.
Not only do I know what to do but
I understand the system much better.
Thank you very much for your help and patients.
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks