What's new

Does anyone have an opinion on Yamaha Rxa 2030? (1 Viewer)

jackbur23

Agent
Real Name
Jackie
Just need some feedback on what you like/dislike about it....is it worth the money and if you've experienced any issues with video from your tv, thanks.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I can share my impression of the 3010, the older big brother of the 2030.

I think its the most user friendly and reliable AVR Ive ever owned. Not once have I ever had a video problem, not a single handshake issue ever. Thats a feat that has not been accomplished since a Marantz 8002 was at the heart of my home theater system. Onkyo couldnt do it, their warning in owners manuals on maximum recommended HDMI lengths applied to me. The Sherwood Newcastle 972 was a HDMI problem child from the moment I unboxed it, back and forth I went from input to input until it locked. But the Yamaha 3010 just laughs at my projector and plasma displays, switching is fast and stable every time.

For dual display systems the Yamaha is a dream come true. No HDMI output selecting as both my connected displays are fed at all times even with the AVR in stand by. Switching displays is as easy as turning off one display and turning on the other, or the reverse, whichever you prefer lol. Changing sources while in standby is as easy as selecting a source, I love it. AVR power on is completely optional and its a killer feature. For example if Im playing a Civilization Revolution marathon on the 360 and know I wont be needing sound I simply select video 3 on the remote, power on the display I wish to use, and grab my 360 controller, done.

Dual subs are also right at home with this line. Not only are they independently calibrated but there are settings in the AVR for either a left/right or front/rear sub configuration, very cool and bass control is top notch. Speaking of control you have a full frequency EQ for each channel if youd like to do roll-your-own room calibration. This goes way beyond simple level and distance controls that youll find in other $2000 AVRs and certainly not something Ive seen in a long time.

The Android app is awesome and its free. I can select any one of 4 zones and fire up music without ever touching a remote and not once have I ever had a problem with streaming. Pandora is in regular use in my home, even by the wife, thanks in large part to the Android app and the usability of the Yammy.

Sound quality is very close to the Marantz 7001, Marantz 8002 and Emotiva UMC1 that I have previously owned, and that says something. The different DSPs are amazing. The effect of "Dialog Lift" (using presence speakers) rivals the power and performance of the Trinnov room correction system only found in the Sherwood Newcastle R-972, that also says something. Theres something to be said of seemingly simple features like power-on volume and maximum volume, I love these kind of features and Im glad they are there for whomever might use my system. While I would imagine these specific features will become more common in future entry-level AVRs it's still a feature I had previously only found in the Onkyo line, luckily this Yamaha line has both these valuable features.

There are some misses. A poor remote. Onkyo's included AVR remotes work great but Yamaha let me down on this one. Matter of fact how you can spend $2000 on a flagship AVR and still get a piece of crap remote is beyond me but Yamaha (like so many other manufactures) still manages it to this day. Luckily my Home Theater Master SL9000 works great but thats really not the point, now is it? The simple low rez overlay OSD doesnt do justice to such a fine AVR, its only volume and mute but come on. The amp assignment screen is a little confusing, it took me some trial and error to get my three-zone system working right.

I got a killer deal on this AVR, when I bought it used, but even at full price I can easily recommend the line. User friendly, flexible and great sound, priceless.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since I'm the "Onkyo guy"...

I also design theatres. Last year 50% of my designs incorporated Onkyo/Integra. 30% were Yamaha Aventage(usually the 20X0/30X0). Denon/Marantz made up the majority of the rest.

Yamaha's advanced GUI(when it debuted on the Aventage XX00) leapfrogged Onkyo in usability. Now we are on the XX30 models...Onkyo caught back up.

I echo what Type A said. Yamaha's always work right out of the box. You still have to read the manual to get everything to work...but you have music 10 minutes after opening the box.

Onkyo is more deliberate(on the $1200+ AVR) in that certain things have to be done before there is music. But an Onkyo can be figured out, up and running on 90% of its "feature set" without ever cracking open the manual. Try that with a Yamaha...I dare you.

Build quality of the Aventage line(even down to the 730) is ridiculous.

The only thing missing with Yamaha is "wide". Maybe they are still on their high horse of "We thought of height first"...

jackbur23

Agent
Real Name
Jackie
I have to agree with both of you...I just bought and installed the 2030 and it is a dream come true! Especially after trying for 8+ hrs to get a denon to work for me....this unit had crisp clear video and top notch audio...I heard my surrounds fire off for the first time today. Couldn't be more happy with this purchase...it does an exceptional job with blue rays...just stunning....WOW!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks