What's new

General Question - Frequency (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hey all,
I am still in the process of setting things up, and even though I already purchased some speakers, I have a question about frequencies.

Electrical Total Frequency Response 55Hz - 25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 24 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 65 Hz

When reading this, what does Upper and Lower db limit mean? How does this affect the total frequency response?

Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Upper and lower range means that the speaker is capable of producing those frequencies.

-3(some even go -2) is the norm used. 3db is "twice as loud". So...

-3 at 65hz means it is "half as loud" as its mean point(usually somewhere along 1khz).

Unless a manufacturer provides an actual graph(or you create your own with sine sweeps) it isn't of much help, other than setting your crossover in an AVR. Which this speaker could be set at 65 or 70(depending which choice your AVR gives you)...or left at 80.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Electrical Total Frequency Response 55Hz - 25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 24 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 65 Hz
The only thing that does not describe is the standard deviation from 65hz to 24khz. We know it is -3 on the ends but are there any large valleys in the response somewhere in the middle or any large peaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks