-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Heavy Traffic -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Shout Factory MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,388 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ralph Bakshi's Heavy Traffic, was a adult-orientated animated gem when it arrived in 1973.  Actually, somewhat mixed media, its colors literally jump off the screen today on this Blu-ray, as they did forty years ago in theatres.

Not for all tastes, definitely eclectic, and with great personality, this is very much an early '70s film.  Possibly the Easy Rider of the animated genre.

Heavy Traffic is a beautiful Blu-ray from Shout Factory, via MGM.

Image 4.5

Audio - 5 (2-track)

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 12 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,704 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 07 2013 - 11:55 AM

Nice to see this one was done right. I picked it up dirt cheap for a new release, plan to watch it this weekend.

#3 of 12 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 05:15 AM

Glad to see it on Blu-Ray DVD at last, even if it's by way of Shout Factory under license from MGM.

#4 of 12 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 10:28 AM

I would have loved a commentary or other special features but I'm just glad it turned out looking as nice as it did. I love Bakshi's films. Too bad the DVD of Coonskin has the colors blown out. I'd really love a decent Blu-ray of that one.

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#5 of 12 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,057 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 03:05 PM

This was originally rated "X," and later re-rated "R." l am wondering if this involved the cutting of any footage, whether the ridiculous MPAA simply changed their minds, or whether enough time had passed so that relaxed censorship guidelines allowed for this re-rating. Anyone know? 

#6 of 12 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 09:06 AM

The standards were relaxed by then. The film wasn't cut.

#7 of 12 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,057 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 05:38 AM

Now we need FRITZ THE CAT.

#8 of 12 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 05:51 AM

Yes, bring on Fritz the Cat.

#9 of 12 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,057 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:01 AM

Also, as a comment to go along with my thread about the latest Disney animated Blu-rays, the Blu of HEAVY TRAFFIC runs rings around them. Yes, an American-International film released by SHOUT! has ten times the picture quality that any of the last three Disney releases has, with I am sure a fraction of Disney's financial resources. Pretty pathetic on Disney's part. Nice job, Shout!...you bested The Mouse!

#10 of 12 rdimucci

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted October 15 2013 - 11:20 PM

This was originally rated "X," and later re-rated "R." l am wondering if this involved the cutting of any footage, whether the ridiculous MPAA simply changed their minds, or whether enough time had passed so that relaxed censorship guidelines allowed for this re-rating. Anyone know? 

The standards were relaxed by then. The film wasn't cut.

The online MPAA ratings database seems to disagree.  It says that HEAVY TRAFFIC was "Edited for re-rating" to its [R] rating in 1974.

http://www.filmratin...ic&x=-955&y=-42

Edited by rdimucci, October 15 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#11 of 12 Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 02:44 AM

The database says that about MIDNIGHT COWBOY, too, which I think is incorrect.

#12 of 12 Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 08:32 PM

I had read that a few seconds were cut from a sequence showing animated nudity that was inadvertently left in on the DVD release. I'll bet it is on the Blu-ray as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Shout Factory, MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users