A Few Words About

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,432 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 04:04 PM

That Touch of Mink, Delbert Mann, 1962, is a dirty picture.

It wasn't in 1962, although it had it share of possibilities, none of which came to fruition.  But today, yes.

Dirty.

The Olive release is quite decent looking for the body of the film.  Dupes are faded, and need to be attended to.  Minus density is an embarrassment of riches, for those who love minus density while viewing their Blu-rays.

Wonderfully entertaining film, without many layers of detail.  Just fun watching the incomparable Mr. Grant, and the generally entertaining Ms Day make faces.  I'm a sucker for Calamity Jane.

Been waiting for this on Blu for decades, and now that it's here...

Same old, same old...

Image - 3

Audio - 4.5

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 16 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 06 2013 - 04:16 PM

I found Doris Day's remembrances of Grant in her book to be quite illuminating...

"Our relationship on That Touch of Mink was amicable but devoid of give-and-take.  For somebody who is as open and right out there as I am, it was hard at first to adjust to Cary's inwardness.  Not that he wasn't friendly and polite - he certainly was.  But distant.  Very distant".

Day goes on to describe how Grant brought objects from his own home to dress the set, and even his input into the clothes Day wore in the film.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3 of 16 Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 301 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted August 07 2013 - 07:11 AM

I saw this last night, and I have to report that it is LIGHT YEARS BETTER than the DVD.  There are artifacts, of course, and Mr. Harris' keen eye (and much larger screen than my 37-inch plasma) certainly picked up on more problematic elements that keep this from being what it MIGHT have been.

The DVD is horrifically dirty.  This Blu Ray of the film is not horrifically dirty.  It's on a par with, if not a little better than, the Twilight Time release of "Demetrius and the Gladiators" in terms of quality of the print they used.

One wonders what it might have looked/sounded like with a little restoration effort.

#4 of 16 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,432 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 07:40 AM

I saw this last night, and I have to report that it is LIGHT YEARS BETTER than the DVD.  There are artifacts, of course, and Mr. Harris' keen eye (and much larger screen than my 37-inch plasma) certainly picked up on more problematic elements that keep this from being what it MIGHT have been.

The DVD is horrifically dirty.  This Blu Ray of the film is not horrifically dirty.  It's on a par with, if not a little better than, the Twilight Time release of "Demetrius and the Gladiators" in terms of quality of the print they used.

One wonders what it might have looked/sounded like with a little restoration effort.

No need to wonder.  Main title would not have appeared faded, and the image would be significantly cleaner.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 16 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 919 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 05:37 AM

"I'm a sucker for Calamity Jane."

Me too, RH.  The DVD is not without flaws, but decent.  The TCM broadcast the other night was okay for their so-called HD.  Ever think we'll get a proper remaster for blu-ray? 

I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#6 of 16 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,998 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 08 2013 - 08:00 AM

"I'm a sucker for Calamity Jane."

Me too, RH.  The DVD is not without flaws, but decent.  The TCM broadcast the other night was okay for their so-called HD.  Ever think we'll get a proper remaster for blu-ray? 

With the proper aspect ratio?

#7 of 16 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 919 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 05:47 PM

With the proper aspect ratio?

It was shot full-frame (imdb lists AR as 1.37:1), so I'm not exactly expecting Cinescope.

I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#8 of 16 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,998 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 08 2013 - 06:13 PM

It was shot full-frame (imdb lists AR as 1.37:1), so I'm not exactly expecting Cinescope.

But it was suggested to exhibitors to screen it at 1.75:1.

#9 of 16 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,235 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 08 2013 - 06:33 PM

Having seen it on the big screen several times here in L.A., I can't imagine it at 1.75:1.

• Lromero1396 likes this

#10 of 16 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 919 posts

Posted August 09 2013 - 02:41 AM

I suppose preference would depend on whether the image is cropped at top and bottom or opened at the sides.  I wouldn't mind a FF image, just so long as the three-strip resoration is on par with, say, the new release of Niagara.

• Lromero1396 likes this

#11 of 16 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 09 2013 - 03:04 AM

I keep forgetting this thread is about That Touch of Mink.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#12 of 16 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,489 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 09 2013 - 03:55 AM

I keep forgetting this thread is about That Touch of Mink.

Thank you!  I'm going to watch my BD of it this weekend.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 16 KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted August 11 2013 - 06:17 AM

I watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. An amazing quality jump from the DVD. I thought the colors looked great. It does have some dirt and speckles, and a few scratches here and there, but it really looked like film to me.

• davidmatychuk likes this

#14 of 16 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,235 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 11 2013 - 10:35 AM

I was expecting an unmitigated disaster based on prior releases, but was pleasantly surprised.  It was okay.  Could have been much better, but also could have been much worse.  Sad when you compare it with the Pillow Talk blu, but of course, that's a different animal with different work involved.

Hopefully, Young at Heart will fare as well, or (hopefully) better, and not be a tremendous disappointment. 

As far as the film goes, the cast is in great form.  I'd forgotten how funny John Astin was in this.  "Muscatel... for my lady's pleasure!" :lol:

Edited by JohnMor, August 11 2013 - 10:38 AM.

• Mark Walker and davidmatychuk like this

#15 of 16 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:54 PM

Watched 'That Touch of Mink' last night and was pleasantly surprised at how well it had been been cleaned up. Strange though how the screen goes fuzzy every time there's a close-up of Doris Day ... I wonder by how far sales of vaseline fell off once she retired!

#16 of 16 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:04 PM

Once again, Olive has provided a watchable Blu-Ray of a Cary Grant movie that was never remotely watchable on home video before. I hope this doesn't discourage Olive from trying harder, because we all know they could do better, but watching "That Touch Of Mink" the other night was a wonderful treat. I thank them for it. And now, dinner at the Automat!

• KPmusmag likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users