Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS/PHE Press Release: Family Ties: The Complete Series

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,575 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 08:32 AM

FAMILY TIES: THE COMPLETE SERIES (11/5)

The complete  set of the beloved American TV sitcom, including the recent release of Season 7!In Family Ties Steven Keaton (Michael Gross) and Elyse Keaton (Meredith Baxter Birney) are products of the 1960's and have become open-minded parents. To their surprise, their children have become conservative and capitalistic growing up in the 1980's. This highly successful comedy series follows this unique American family as their views on politics and life clash to give us humorous family moments.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 08:34 AM

Interesting...hope they pull a Fugitive and restore the missing music and PROPER closing logos.

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#3 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 05 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'd be more happy with restoring the music cuts, but even that's wishing for the moon with this company.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#4 of 20 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'd be more happy with restoring the music cuts, but even that's wishing for the moon with this company.

This.  CBS = biggest disaster ever to happen to the integrity of classic TV on DVD.

• Ron1973 likes this

#5 of 20 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 05:34 PM

POPULAR

What would we do, baby--without cuts?

• Jonathan Burk, MatthewA and derosa like this

#6 of 20 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 06:34 PM

Is this an actual press release from Paraount, why is there no link posted?! 

The final season will be released this month, I don't think they would come out with a complete series set so soon after?!  More likely this is just all 7 season sets packaged together in one big bundle.

#7 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 05 2013 - 08:47 PM

What would we do, baby--without cuts?

I'm still petrified at what version of the last episode they'll use. On Netflix, it's the edited-into-two-22-minutes-for-syndication version, but on NBC it was 70 minutes (with commercials; I'll have to get the tape from Mom's house and time it without) and had a curtain call at the end before the credits.

#8 of 20 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 08:59 PM

If there was edited music before then I think everyone realizes it'll be edited this time, too. Tra la la la ....

Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#9 of 20 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 02:48 PM

I think TVShowsondvd.com has some information in scope with regards to this show and cover art for the complete series set...http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/18810

#10 of 20 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 05:47 PM

I think TVShowsondvd.com has some information in scope with regards to this show and cover art for the complete series set...http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/18810

Good ol' TVShowsonDVD, love that site!

I am surprised to see a complete series set released so soon after the final season is being released.  I don't think you will see any changes as far as music goes, this is CBS we are talking about here so expect the content to be the same.  Anyone know how much music was actually removed, is it significant as far as the show goes or are we talking about background music in a scene?!

Edited by TVonDVDJunkie05, August 06 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#11 of 20 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 08:09 PM

I am surprised to see a complete series set released so soon after the final season is being released.  I don't think you will see any changes as far as music goes, this is CBS we are talking about here so expect the content to be the same.  Anyone know how much music was actually removed, is it significant as far as the show goes or are we talking about background music in a scene?!

It's not like we're talking WKRP in Cincinnati here, but they removed background music in scenes; they removed at least one whole scene early in Season One (as I foggily recall) when the kids were playing songs at a house party. I forgot which episode...

90210 had pretty much everything removed...I only know of one scene removed, but it's like a whole new show. Melrose Place was known for playing a current pop tune over the opening helicopter/credit shots. Gone; all gone.

#12 of 20 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,291 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 06 2013 - 08:12 PM

"Daria" was also the victim of many, many replacement music cues.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#13 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 06 2013 - 09:07 PM

To their credit, they did keep "At This Moment."

That box looks nice, but would it kill them to do a box set that can fit in with the rest of my DVDs and Blu-rays?

#14 of 20 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 07:43 AM

It's not like we're talking WKRP in Cincinnati here, but they removed background music in scenes; they removed at least one whole scene early in Season One (as I foggily recall) when the kids were playing songs at a house party. I forgot which episode...

Background music is one thing but if they removed an entire scene then that is something else altogether and unacceptable IMO.  The same thing happened with WKRP in Cincinnati & The Fall Guy (removal of entire scenes) which is why those releases did terribly and rightly so!  The scene you are referring to might be the episode where Jennifer has a 50s themed birthday party and they rent a jukebox and play all 50s music.

A complete series set is primarily aimed at hardcore fans of a series and collectors so you would think the studio would go the extra mile and give fans the best possible release which means including original uncut episodes and as much music as is possible but the 'suits' at CBS apparently couldn't care less about appeasing their customers- $$ is all they care about.  :angry:  They slap everything together, throw a few special features in there (probably whatever they can find at first glance), price it a a premium and then put it out for people to buy.

Times like this that I really wish Paramount Home Entertainment had continued as the distirbutor for TV on DVD instead of giving that business to CBS who put out low quality crap.

Edited by TVonDVDJunkie05, August 07 2013 - 07:46 AM.

• Ron1973 likes this

#15 of 20 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 05:37 PM

I am surprised to see a complete series set released so soon after the final season is being released. 

I always thought it was more common for studios to release a complete set of a show on the same day the last season has been released,or shortly(as in a few months) after. Not like,say,Universal who do it several years later. They must be desperate for shows to release.

#16 of 20 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 05:52 AM

Background music is one thing but if they removed an entire scene then that is something else altogether and unacceptable IMO.  The same thing happened with WKRP in Cincinnati & The Fall Guy (removal of entire scenes) which is why those releases did terribly and rightly so!  The scene you are referring to might be the episode where Jennifer has a 50s themed birthday party and they rent a jukebox and play all 50s music.

A complete series set is primarily aimed at hardcore fans of a series and collectors so you would think the studio would go the extra mile and give fans the best possible release which means including original uncut episodes and as much music as is possible but the 'suits' at CBS apparently couldn't care less about appeasing their customers- $$ is all they care about.  :angry:  They slap everything together, throw a few special features in there (probably whatever they can find at first glance), price it a a premium and then put it out for people to buy.

Times like this that I really wish Paramount Home Entertainment had continued as the distirbutor for TV on DVD instead of giving that business to CBS who put out low quality crap.

This.  I don't remember the music issue getting bad until CBS took over with their revisionist ways.  AND PHE was starting to keep the classic logos, even retaining the Red Split Box Paramount at the end of Happy Days S1 (which hasn't been seen since perhaps the original ABC shows!  Syndicated reruns had the Blue Mountain, and later airings the Viacom Mountain). 

Oh add Laverne and Shirley (the latest one) as a series with missing scenes due to big bad music lyrics. 

I still wonder if CBS has it out for programs that were hits on the other networks, and take it out on them by being so shoddy?  (Seems the ABC and NBC shows have it worst)

Edited by JMFabianoRPL, August 08 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#17 of 20 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 08:36 AM

Well, Dynasty's music has remained intact as far as I know.

#18 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 08 2013 - 11:58 AM

This.  I don't remember the music issue getting bad until CBS took over with their revisionist ways.  AND PHE was starting to keep the classic logos, even retaining the Red Split Box Paramount at the end of Happy Days S1 (which hasn't been seen since perhaps the original ABC shows!  Syndicated reruns had the Blue Mountain, and later airings the Viacom Mountain). 

Oh add Laverne and Shirley (the latest one) as a series with missing scenes due to big bad music lyrics. 

I still wonder if CBS has it out for programs that were hits on the other networks, and take it out on them by being so shoddy?  (Seems the ABC and NBC shows have it worst)

I don't think it's a question of personal grudges, but an idea that they can maintain profit margins by cutting corners here.

#19 of 20 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted August 08 2013 - 12:01 PM

I don't own any of the Bonanza sets but I believe those have been done properly music wise.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#20 of 20 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,291 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 08 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think it all depends on how much money each music cue will cost.  If a show is heavily music-based, like "Daria" was, all those combined cues will wind up costing a lot of money.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users