Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Digital media to overtake TV in viewing minutes this year

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 2,085 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:33 PM

Research from eMarketer is reportign that the average time spent with digital media per day in the US will surpass that of TV viewing sometime this year.  By the end of 2013 US adults will be spending a total of 5:09 hours on digital media each day compared with 4:31 on TV viewing.

To show this trend over the last two years 2012 the split was 4:31 hours to 4:38 hours respectively and in 2011 the split was 3:50 hours to 4:34 hours.

What digital devices garner the most media being consumed?  Not on the PC.  The research found that US adults will spend an average of 2:21 per day on phones and tablets — longer than they will spend online on desktop and laptop computers, and nearly an hour more than they spent on mobile in 2012.

I guess I'm not one that fits into the survey results.  I rarely watch streaming media and even less on my smartphone.  Maybe the age range of "adults" is lower than me...

Anyone watch streaming media that much per day?  Anyone watch video content that much per day period?  Who has that kind of time PER DAY?

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 03 2013 - 09:52 PM

I stream a Netflix movie almost every night. The only "TV" I watch are TV shows on disc and Netflix. The only thing I watch live on TV are football games.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   huskerbear@frontier.com

huskerbear@frontier.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 04:18 AM

Besides live sports and the news, we stream most of our TV viewing here.

Edited by huskerbear@frontier.com, August 04 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 793 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:47 AM

In the article "Digital Media" means download as well as stream. I watch my downloads more than a stream from one of the netflix like services.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#5 of 9 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm not certain, but I think the survey includes more than just 'watching'. I think it also includes social media and other Internet activities.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted August 06 2013 - 12:22 AM

Most of my tv watching is news, wrestling or documentaries. Most tv and movies are all on DVD and anything else i watch would be on my laptop.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 06 2013 - 04:50 AM

So...which way is it counted if your computer is connected to the TV?

I've recently gone back to the beginning of The Walking Dead on Netflix, great show...

Ironically(and I've said this before on other threads) Netflix tends to not have the movies I want to watch as a stream. Out of every 10 movies I look for there, I get 3 or 4 "DVD only". Which typically prompts me to buy it.

I bought a DVD the other day (3rd party used) for $7.25 + $3.99 shipping. Amazon had it listed(when I went back to track delivery) to buy it for $8.59*. That just shows you how far in left field my movie watching is.

*Amazon's WH deal "super-saver" price is $18.75(when I last looked).

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, even though we haven't been downloading/streaming at all, we rarely watch anything on "TV" the traditional way anymore, and now, we're finally trying streaming (for some TV shows, maybe a sporadic movie rental and such) via Amazon Prime.

Still much prefer owning discs for anything I care all that much about, but can't realistically own (and shelve) everything we'd ever wanna watch, LOL... not that I've had enough time to catch up on my huge backlog of yet-to-watch discs anyway... :P

And disc rental seems pretty dead now.  No Redbox near us, so that's not an option although we still seem to have one or two Mom&Pop rental stores nearby -- had thought they all went out-of-business.

_Man_

Edited by ManW_TheUncool, August 22 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted August 22 2013 - 11:30 PM

eMarketer’s estimates of time spent with media include all time spent within each medium, regardless of multitasking. Consumers who spend an hour watching TV while multitasking on tablet devices, for example, would be counted as spending an hour with TV and an additional hour on mobile. 

Based on that, they seem to be intentionally skewing the results toward "digital media." If someone sits down in front of the TV for a show and picks up their phone or tablet a few times to check an email or text, the digital side gets credited with the same amount of time as the TV side even though it probably only accounted for a fraction of the time in comparison. That simply makes no sense.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users