What's new

Why get a receiver instead of just a very good HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Eliot Tow

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot Tow
Hi - We are remodeling our house and going to buy new home entertainment. My question is VERY basic and I am sure answered somewhere:
Why get a receiver instead of just a very good HDTV + speakers?

If this is not too general a question, could somebody provide an answer or link me to an explanation.

Also, does anybody know of a decision tree type site that would ask questions that lead to decisions on home theater?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Eliot

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Eliot, welcome to Home Theater Forum!

An HDTV is not intended to drive speakers. That's why you need a receiver plus speakers.

Even HDTV's with "good" speakers in them pale in comparison to a decent receiver plus speakers.

Yes, there are "sound bars" that you can plug into TV's, but their sound quality is generally not as good as a receiver plus speakers.

As for "decision tree" sites, I don't know of any, but there are a lot of good people here at HTF who will answer your questions. Fire away!

Eliot Tow

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot Tow
Thanks much Steve. I know I am not providing much detail about the space for my system. The room is about 15x25, with seats about 6’ from the TV, but with flexibility.

I need to walk the line between quality/complexity and simplicity. My wife wants something as simple as possible, and as neat as possible - not a whole lot of wires.

We certainly appreciate good sound, but we are not aficionados who can distinguish between very good and great sound. So I am thinking HTiB, which I know any expert usually does not favor. That said, I am wondering if the highest end HTiBs might work for us (just us two).

Of course we don't want to spend more than necessary, but budget is not really an issue. We are thinking 60-70", with Wi-Fi, Netflix and browser, and speakers. We are not too worried about DVD/BR because we stream our movies, but I am sure that would be included in any quality HTiB.

If you have any suggestions or links, I would appreciate it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no quality HTiB. I call them "craptastic HTiB"

If you have Ipads or android phones, Yamaha and Onkyo have apps for both where your 80yo grandma could watch Murder She Wrote from Netflix in less than a minute.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Audio can add a lot to the movie experience; however, if you've heard a good system and your reation was, "meh", then you might be a good candiate for a sound bar. You can get a high-end sound bar if you want to maximize the format. You can also get a soundbars that independant channels and are driven by a receiver. Those improve the discrete channel reproduction, which is especially useful for the center channel.

Like most who belong to a home theater forum, it's not what I would do (although I have one in my bedroom). If complexity is making you hesitant, research a universal remote. After setup (done on your computer) they work pretty well if you get a good one; Lofitechs are the usual choice. If looks (wires, etc) is holding you back. An electrician can run wires in the walls/floor for a couple hundred bucks. You can also get in-wall speakers that reduce the visible footprint. I'm an Axiom fan and they have a decent in-wall, so here's a link: http://www.axiomaudio.com/in-wall-on-wall-speakers.

Eliot Tow

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot Tow
Do any experienced folks have an opinion Integra A/V components in general? A local company highly recommends this brand.

Thanks, Eliot

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Integra is Onkyo's installer brand. Whichever Integra you are looking at...over its comparable Onkyo has...

1. 3 year warranty instead of 2.
2. Soft feel remote instead of hard plastic.
3. 12v triggers that are more configurable.
4. Multi-color GUI(so you can make it look more appealing...to you)
5. You have a store you can call in case you have a problem. Integra's 800# is not the same as Onkyo's...and there is a world of difference getting warranty service.

Integra, by design of not being sold online, have a much higher resale value over 5 years than its comparable Onkyo.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Another thing with regards to the newer TV's is the slimmer they get, the smaller the speakers become. I upgraded from a little older 42" LG LCD to a newer, much thinner LG 55" LED; the sound was absolutely crappy on the LED. Even a soundbar is an improvement over the TV speakers.

If you wanted to go the soundbar route, they make them now bluetooth compatible. You can literally sync your phone to it and stream music. The sound quality isn't going to be top shelf but if you're not in for the "greatest" sound it'll do the job.

I'm running a Sony 5.1 system with Sony Pro Studio speakers as tall as I am on the front, a small Pro Studio for the center, a Yamaha sub and a pair of older Marantz speakers I've had forever for the back channels. Even a modest set-up such as mine absolutely blows you away. You even have faux Pro-Logic settings that you can use for music that delivers your music in 5.1 sound. There's nothing like listening to an LP in 5.1!!!

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
as well as the other reasons mentioned, there is also component switching. Most Receivers will switch your speakers from your HT, to your stereo, to your game system, to your record player.

dharrison003

Auditioning
Another option if your tight on space but not on budget would be a Bose 3-2-1 system....it is a small av control box with 2 speakers and a sub. It takes up very little room and if you not super picky about sound quality this little system will more than do the job for you...it creates 5.1 sound from just the two speakers. I have this in my bedroom and it works well for just that room....I can't say I have ever heard rear channels in effect....but definately 3.1 across the front. They run about 1k ....Bose overpriced as always....but I'd look for one on EBay they've been out a while you may find a good deal on a great shape used or return or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks