Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Earrings of Madame De... -- in Blu-ray

Criterion A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 07:34 AM

The Earrings of Madame De... is a cinematic masterpiece.  A tale of love, of indiscretion, and of fate.

Technically, it acts as a primer to the extraordinary work of filmmaker Max Ophuls, and specifically to his extreme use of moving camera and long takes -- in 1953.

I have a huge problem with this purported "restoration" of Earrings, as I'm not a believer in masturbatory film restoration, of which this is a wonderful example.

The work performed in 2012 is far too recent to be performed as done.  I would chastise Gaumont and those behind the work, but I'll not do that, as I consider it an unfriendly act.  I'll suggest, persuade, and attempt to educate.

Gaumont and those involved need to be far more cognizant of the the value, and use of original film elements, which are irreplaceable.

One should absolutely never, ever scan an original negative at anything less than full resolution for any purpose other than asset protection and true restorative efforts.  With even the slightest chance of damage during the scan, in shipment, etc., it simply should not be done.

If an entity is desirous of saving money, scan at 4k, archive the scans, and do a clean-up a HD resolution.

But why even consider that for one of the greatest of most important artifacts of our cinematic culture?

There are fine grains and dupe negatives that could have been used, and the final result on Blu-ray, would have been all but indistinguishable from what has been harvested from the OCN.

End of rant.

Reading about the 2k scan, I had red flags raised high.

Especially after the horrific Blu-ray of Children of Paradise, I expected the worst.

But it never really came.

Spending quality time with Criterion's new Blu-ray, I've come away generally pleased.  The majority of the data looks fine.  Make no mistake, the film has been processed for grain reduction, but even in shots that should be problematic, those that have moving dust, fog, steam or other distractions of the sort, things work decently.  The film is extremely clean.  But the grain removal is not without problems -- and I really don't understand why it's done, as it has nothing to do with "restoration."  There are  processing problems, and I did note one extreme anomaly during the hunt sequence, in which the shrubs in the background of a shot or two seem to have gone totally digital, indistinct and "clumpy."  I would call them almost "painterly."  I don't know how to dissuade people from turning that knob.

Brilliant blacks, full deep shadow detail, sparkling whites.  A grain structure is fake, but appears decent.  No obvious anomalies, hanging grain or other problems.

Audio the best I've ever heard for the film, with sparkling frequency and well-controlled low.  Dialogue is crisp and clear.

I love this film.  Make no mistake, it is one of the most important and beautiful films ever made.  Bar none.

It belongs in the collection of any serious cinephile.  To consider yourself as such, and to not own it, may be cause to lose one's identity as such.

Image - 2.5

Audio - 5

RAH

• bujaki likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 01 2013 - 08:54 AM

if I may ask, with all the furor on other corners of the internet, and the many issues you point out, how is this transfer more acceptable than what was done with Children of Paradise?
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 01 2013 - 09:15 AM

Any import discs on this that might be better or is this now going to be considered the definitive transfer, such as it is?

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:19 AM

well it seems they would all come from this Gaumont harvest, so they'd theoretically all be the same.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 11:19 AM

if I may ask, with all the furor on other corners of the internet, and the many issues you point out, how is this transfer more acceptable than what was done with Children of Paradise?

Because, with the exception of a handful of shots, this is still eminently watchable.

Children of Paradise is a coaster.

With a hole in the center.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 12:50 PM

"masturbatory film restoration"?  I'm gonna have to remember that one.

It's disappointing, not to mention nearly unimaginable, that a high-profile Criterion blu-ray has been given this kind of a sub-par treatment.  I trust this is a one-off for the Collection; I can't imagine them such that they think just because a film bears the most beloved logo in home theater it won't automatically stand up to scrutiny.

I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 01:43 PM

It's disappointing, not to mention nearly unimaginable, that a high-profile Criterion blu-ray has been given this kind of a sub-par treatment.  I trust this is a one-off for the Collection; I can't imagine them such that they think just because a film bears the most beloved logo in home theater it won't automatically stand up to scrutiny.

I think that Gaumont twisted Criterion's arm into releasing this one. I assume the same happened last year with their release of Children of Paradise.

Because, with the exception of a handful of shots, this is still eminently watchable.

Children of Paradise is a coaster.

With a hole in the center.

RAH

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Gaumont and those involved need to be far more cognizant of the the value, and use of original film elements, which are irreplaceable.

One should absolutely never, ever scan an original negative at anything less than full resolution.

I can't agree enough. I cringe every time I hear "2k restoration from the OCN". And yes, Gaumont could and should be doing a far better job than it is.

Edited by Lromero1396, August 01 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted August 01 2013 - 02:50 PM

Was going to buy the blu-ray but Amazon had a great price on the 2008 dvd release and that is the one i got.  Also i did see DVD BEAVER's website comparison and it was not enough for me to go blu-ray but happy to have this great film in my collection. Do agree with Robert about Children of Paradise and i hope one day Criterion will re-release it again with their high standards.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,613 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 04:54 PM

It belongs in the collection of any serious cinephile.  To consider yourself as such, and to not own it, may be cause to lose one's identity as such.

Unfortunately this is one that I have not had a chance to see. It sounds like I need to rectify that. I wonder if this quote will be enough to convince the wife that I had to buy it---Criterion has been plowing through my movie funds recently.  :)

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 01 2013 - 06:01 PM

Unfortunately, Criterion and other small companies that license movies for home video are often at the mercy of the copyright holders for the HD masters. Sometimes they get something beautiful. Other times, they get something like Gaumont's "HD restoration" of Children of Paradise.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 06:07 PM

Unfortunately, Criterion and other small companies that license movies for home video are often at the mercy of the copyright holders for the HD masters. Sometimes they get something beautiful. Other times, they get something like Gaumont's "HD restoration" of Children of Paradise.

True.

But fortunately Criterion is responsible for a great many of their transfers, and quality is at the fore.

RAH

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 09:12 PM

The last time I checked Gaumont and Pathe are not the same company.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 02:32 PM

Precisely what I said.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yes, but Gaumont definitely had a period (which I hope is now over) where they were turning knobs for their releases. A number of their 2012 releases in France had significant DNR. Thankfully, the ones I have seen reviewed from 2013 seem to be largely unaffected, although The Earrings of Madame De... is out in France in September.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted August 15 2013 - 11:38 AM

iTunes 720p download (using the same source as the 2008 Criterion DVD):

http://i.imgur.com/Vvaw9P7.jpg

Criterion Blu-ray:

http://i.imgur.com/o28lYeh.jpg

What in God's name did they do?!

I notice this painterly effect in a great deal of the caps on the net. Would it not have been better for Criterion to dismiss the new transfer and instead just give us their old HD master in 1080p?

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 15 2013 - 03:26 PM

Whoops! I confused the two.  :)

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 05:59 PM

iTunes 720p download (using the same source as the 2008 Criterion DVD):

http://i.imgur.com/Vvaw9P7.jpg

Criterion Blu-ray:

http://i.imgur.com/o28lYeh.jpg

What in God's name did they do?!

I notice this painterly effect in a great deal of the caps on the net. Would it not have been better for Criterion to dismiss the new transfer and instead just give us their old HD master in 1080p?

Cripes Eddie - that is shocking! I think I'll be downloading the film in 720p if at all possible....

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted February 16 2014 - 03:12 AM

Before releasing this in France, Gaumont decided to redo the transfer due to all the complaints.

Criterion:

http://www.dvdclassi...ile.php?id=1508

Gaumont:

http://www.dvdclassi...85cc61d51b5c04a

Looks great now. The watercolour effect has been removed and the grain is back. Also opened from 1.33:1 to 1.37:1.

Order here:

http://www.amazon.fr...y/dp/B00DE6NGN0

• Robin9 and Davinchi like this

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 04:06 AM

That looks now like I can buy it after all. :)

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Oblivion138

Oblivion138

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:07 PM

So according to Amazon, the Gaumont release is Region-free and has English subtitles...is that correct?  Just want to be 100% certain before I chance importing it.

• McCrutchy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users