What's new

Matilda (1996) comes to blu-ray (10/15) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If the reviews are good, this is a no-brainer. Aside from a few scenes of pandering, mainly during Matilda's final confrontation with the Trunchbull, I thought it was a really successful and faithful adaptation. Danny DeVito's sensibilities as a director are a perfect fit for this one. Pam Ferris was an absolute terror in the best possible way. And other than being American, Mara Wilson made a terrific Matilda.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I believe that's true.
The UK currently has a 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD available, which I own and which looks nice. But this forthcoming Blu will be welcome.

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The novel is my favourite, which probably explains why I never warmed to the film. Wouldn't mind giving it another go though.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
There was an OAR laserdisc, but there were 2 MAR DVDs; the first was part of Columbia/TriStar's original DVD roll-out.
Correct, but it was part of that TriStar production line that had miserable Rot problems. I think I bought 3 copies over the years and even the best had some nasty speckles.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
John-Weller said:
The novel is my favourite, which probably explains why I never warmed to the film. Wouldn't mind giving it another go though.
I think you'll enjoy it on the second go-round. This is a film that grows on you with repeat viewings, of which I have had many with my kids. It is one of the superior adaptations of Roald Dahl's work (much as I love Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I view it as a separate entity from the book).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Stephen_J_H said:
I think you'll enjoy it on the second go-round. This is a film that grows on you with repeat viewings, of which I have had many with my kids. It is one of the superior adaptations of Roald Dahl's work (much as I love Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I view it as a separate entity from the book).
It's miles away from the original book, but the original book's ending was a bit weak--
Still, it's probably one of the only other movies besides Dahl's own script for "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" that captures the larger-than-life tyrant slobs that Dahl baddies were.
"The Witches" or "Fantastic Mr. Fox", OTOH.....nnnnno.

(And I know this's probably getting the push because of the Broadway musical, but confession: Am I the only obscure-movie buff who keeps reading the header, and thinking "The boxing-kangaroo movie from the 70's?--They're finally digging it up?")

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ejanss said:
It's miles away from the original book, but the original book's ending was a bit weak--
This is one of the rare movies where I prefer the ending of the movie to the ending of the book; I found it a lot more satisfying. I also think the movie did a better job foreshadowing the fate of Matilda's parents. That being said, I thought the sneakier and less bombastic final confrontation with the Trunchbull was more effective in the book. Other than transplanting the story to America, the subplot in the Trunchbull's house and the areas mentioned previously, I thought it was a very faithful adaptation.

If they make the musical into a movie, I hope they keep it British. I think there's room for both versions on film.

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
It's funny how in the novel, Matilda's Dad barks "If it's by an American, it's certain to be filth", yet uses the word fanny in an American context.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched my copy of this on Blu-Ray. After years of longing for a widescreen DVD release, I'm happy to report that the Blu-Ray is not only 2.40:1, it looks and sounds terrific.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
The UK anamorphic dvd of Matilda was one of the first kids movies I ever bought in 1999 . Has the US really gone 15 years without one .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Matilda-DVD-Danny-DeVito/dp/B00004CWJ9/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1410383035&sr=1-5&keywords=matilda

The UK one was released by the actual studio too - it wasn't licenced.
What was unusual about it was that it contained an MPEG audio soundtrack aswell as Dolby Digital as the disc was released during an uncertain time when the discussion was that the dvd regional market would be separated by different audio formats aswell as region coding.
IIRC it was Philips angling for the UK to use MPEG.
Thankfully the idea was dropped

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
John-Weller said:
It's funny how in the novel, Matilda's Dad barks "If it's by an American, it's certain to be filth", yet uses the word fanny in an American context.
Yes, I've always been amused how the Americans use the word 'fanny' in ... how should I put it? -- in a back-to-front way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks