What's new

Glacier National Park (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We visited Glacier N.P. a couple of weeks ago. I am still sorting and editing the photos, but I thought I would share a few. I will try to add some more shots to the thread when I finish with the editing.

451A7041-XL.jpg

451A7099-XL.jpg

451A7254-XL.jpg

451A7399-XL.jpg

451A7500-XL.jpg

IMG_4411-XL.jpg

IMG_4484-XL.jpg

IMG_4591-XL.jpg

IMG_4569-XL.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thank you.

Here is a shot from a close grizzly encounter we had. It's not the best shot of a grizzly I have ever taken, but the experience was unique. We were hiking a trail, and I walked upon the bear without either of us seeing each other. I was within 10 yards (my wife was several paces behind me) when I saw a light brown back in the high grass just off the trail, and initially thought it was a mule deer (we'd been seeing quite a few very close in the area). It raised it's head then, which gave me quite an adrenaline jolt. I kept calm, and slowly backed away, and the grizzly went back to digging for food. I was probably 60-75 yards away when I took this shot.

IMG_4398-XL.jpg

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Beautiful photos, Scott. I really like #5 in your first set. Heh, your grizzly encounter had my heart beating a bit. I can't imagine how you felt after he went back to eating.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Richard Travale said:
Beautiful photos, Scott. I really like #5 in your first set.
Heh, your grizzly encounter had my heart beating a bit. I can't imagine how you felt after he went back to eating.
Thanks, Richard. That shot #5 is one of my favorites, too. Last night I placed an order for a 24x16 metallic print of that one -- Meridian Pro had a sale on metallic prints that ended last night, and I have always wanted to try one.

As for the grizzly bear encounter, it was quite an experience. I was quite pleased with how calm I kept. Luckily the bear was more interested in digging for food than in us. It looked like a younger adult, which can be the most unpredictable type, so we were pretty fortunate. We had to wait about 10-15 minutes for the bear to leave the trail before we could continue our hike.

Here is a shot similar to #5 from the first set, but of a different lake and at more of a wide angle. The first one was of Swiftcurrent Lake, which our hotel -- the historic Many Glacier Hotel -- was on. This one was from nearby Josephine Lake.

451A7528-XL.jpg

Here is a shot of the Many Glacier Hotel from the parking area, to give you an idea of the setting. The hotel is the only facility on the lake, so it's a very tranquil setting. We stayed there four nights before moving to the west side of the park for three nights.

451A7278-XL.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here are a few more shots:

Wide angle shot of Lunch Creek on Going To The Sun Road
451A7153-XL.jpg

Jackson Glacier. Not many actual glaciers remain in the park
451A7168-XL.jpg

The Highline Trail above Going to the Sun Road
451A7828-XL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks