What's new

Non-24fps silents on Blu incorrectly mastered at 1080p causing jitter; should be 1080i (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
When silent films running at non-standard speeds are mastered in 1080p rather than 1080i, the result is annoying stop-n-go motion stutter artifacts due to repeated frames every 5 or 6 frames. Apparently Kino is now mastering all silents progressively no matter what the speed. A Kino quote that was reposted on the Criterion thread at HTF:
OUR HOSPITALITY was mastered to HD a few years prior to its release, and we didn’t have the long view at the time to how 1080p transfers are the superior standard. We know the value of 1080p now and everything will be released that way in the future.
At least OUR HOSPITALITY was spared, but because of this new wrongheaded view on the part of Kino and apparently now Cohen, the following films that I know of have been released in stop-n-go stutter motion on Blu-ray:
Cohen:
THE THIEF OF BAGDAD
Kino:
THE BLACK PIRATE (color version only; B&W version is at 24fps and plays fine)
LES VAMPIRES
DIE NIBELUNGEN
And from the Buster Keaton Short Films Collection, the following films are affected:
THE HIGH SIGN
CONVICT 13
THE SCARECROW
NEIGHBORS
THE HAUNTED HOUSE
HARD LUCK
THE GOAT
THE PLAY HOUSE
MY WIFE'S RELATIONS
THE BLACKSMITH
THE FROZEN NORTH
THE ELECTRIC HOUSE

Luckily, THE BOAT, THE PALEFACE, COPS, DAYDREAMS, THE BALLOONATIC and THE LOVE NEST are running at 24fps and are thus unaffected. ONE WEEK is definitely running slower than 24fps, way slower, but it doesn't appear to suffer from stop-n-go stutter; it only suffers from someone's insistence on running it so slow. Not sure what's up with this one. So, that's twelve Keaton shorts that are affected by being mastered in 1080p at non-standard speeds. All of these twelve shorts play perfectly fine in the old Kino DVDs, much much better than their botched Blu-ray renditions, despite missing some extra HD picture detail. Better hang onto those DVDs, fans. I certainly did.
Please note that I'm not in any advocating any sort of boycott toward these companies; I'm just trying to help prospective buyers make informed purchasing decisions. Some may not notice the motion artifacting, but many do; the problem is definitely there, and needs to not be there. Help spread the word to Kino, Cohen and all others who release silent films on Blu that 1080p is not one-size-fits-all, despite what spec-obsessed collectors say; it only works well for silents at 24fps. If it's not 24fps, please master it at 1080i.
This thread will be updated with new information whenever it comes to light.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
What is this "stop and go" motion stutter you refer to? The additional, repeated frames are compensated for by the faster refresh rate, and in my experience (with the BFI's Battleship Potemkin and MoC's Coeur fidele) are completely unnoticeable.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
EddieLarkin said:
What is this "stop and go" motion stutter you refer to? The additional, repeated frames are compensated for by the faster refresh rate, and in my experience (with the BFI's Battleship Potemkin and MoC's Coeur fidele) are completely unnoticeable.
They are in no way compensated for by the faster refresh rate in all the titles I listed. The stuttering is painfully obvious.

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
EddieLarkin said:
It's certainly unnoticeable on those releases and also on MoC's release of The Passion of Joan of Arc. The BFI have an article regarding the issue

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Of course they are compensated by the faster refresh rate. That's precisely why the films retain their original running times. For the two examples I mentioned, you've got 18fps films running 30% faster. The repeat frames are there to ensure the film is not slowed down, and simulates its 18fps speed within 24fps.

In those examples, every third frame is repeated once. Are you saying you're observing a freeze 6 times every second? The discs would be unwatchable in that case, and it's not something I've ever experienced nor have I heard anyone mention it before. Even RAH, in his thread about The Thief of Bagdad, says the effect is unnoticeable.

I would ask if you maybe have a problem with your set up, but I don't see how that's even possible.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jeffrey Nelson said:
When silent films running at non-standard speeds are mastered in 1080p rather than 1080i, the result is annoying stop-n-go motion stutter artifacts due to repeated frames every 5 or 6 frames. Apparently Kino is now mastering all silents progressively no matter what the speed. A Kino quote that was reposted on the Criterion thread at HTF:

At least OUR HOSPITALITY was spared, but because of this new wrongheaded view on the part of Kino and apparently now Cohen, the following films that I know of have been released in stop-n-go stutter motion on Blu-ray:

Cohen:

THE THIEF OF BAGDAD

Kino:

THE BLACK PIRATE (color version only; B&W version is at 24fps and plays fine)
LES VAMPIRES
DIE NIBELUNGEN

And from the Buster Keaton Short Films Collection, the following films are affected:
THE HIGH SIGN
CONVICT 13
THE SCARECROW
NEIGHBORS
THE HAUNTED HOUSE
HARD LUCK
THE GOAT
THE PLAY HOUSE
MY WIFE'S RELATIONS
THE BLACKSMITH
THE FROZEN NORTH
THE ELECTRIC HOUSE

Luckily, THE BOAT, THE PALEFACE, COPS, DAYDREAMS, THE BALLOONATIC and THE LOVE NEST are running at 24fps and are thus unaffected. ONE WEEK is definitely running slower than 24fps, way slower, but it doesn't appear to suffer from stop-n-go stutter; it only suffers from someone's insistence on running it so slow. Not sure what's up with this one. So, that's twelve Keaton shorts that are affected by being mastered in 1080p at non-standard speeds. All of these twelve shorts play perfectly fine in the old Kino DVDs, much much better than their botched Blu-ray renditions, despite missing some extra HD picture detail. Better hang onto those DVDs, fans. I certainly did.

Please note that I'm not in any advocating any sort of boycott toward these companies; I'm just trying to help prospective buyers make informed purchasing decisions. Some may not notice the motion artifacting, but many do; the problem is definitely there, and needs to not be there. Help spread the word to Kino, Cohen and all others who release silent films on Blu that 1080p is not one-size-fits-all, despite what spec-obsessed collectors say; it only works well for silents at 24fps. If it's not 24fps, please master it at 1080i.

This thread will be updated with new information whenever it comes to light.
For the benefit of those, like myself, who have no idea what you're talking about, why does 1080p create this problem versus 1080i, and how does frame rate figure in? thanks

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I didn't notice any stuttering problem on the Buster Keaton shorts.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I find interesting, going to Yami's link...I find a discussion called "flaming the fan" about movies being subtitled by fans, then uploaded to the internet...Japanese movies that are hardly ever seen outside Japan are getting "new life" as bootlegs. Diary of a Shinjuku Thief being one of them...and means my copy must be a boot.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
schan1269 said:
What I find interesting, going to Yami's link...I find a discussion called "flaming the fan" about movies being subtitled by fans, then uploaded to the internet...Japanese movies that are hardly ever seen outside Japan are getting "new life" as bootlegs. Diary of a Shinjuku Thief being one of them...and means my copy must be a boot.
Return it.No boots.As far as speed conversion is concerned, this is a subject I discussed long ago with Rene Clair, and his ideas are even more viable today. We'll be experimenting with them in the near future. In 1080p and DCP.RAH

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
My BDs of THIEF OF BAGDAD and THE BLACK PIRATE have the stutter Jeff Nelson describes in his original post. It's annoying.

I think Mr. Harris explained it in his comments on THE THIEF OF BAGDAD:

Robert Harris

Posted February 26 2013 - 06:54 AM

"The score was recorded to sync to film at 22 frames per second for live screenings. Projectors can be set to run at any speed."Blu-ray can only run an image at 24 fps."Frames must be added to the image to keep in sync, apparently one every ten frames. There seems to be no alternative at the moment to equalize frame rates."

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Your display may be adding 3:2 pulldown judder, 24p is the better choice as interlaced would result in lessened vertical resolution although you would have more precision ( 60 fields per second ) to space out the 18 fps.

( Answer provided by David Mackenzie )

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I think FoxyMulder David Mackenzie has the answer. It's likely that a combination of regular pulldown judder and the slight judder that the duplicated frames show exacerbates the issue and makes it more noticeable. Is your player set for native 24p playback?

Interlaced video would eliminate the duplicate frames but still have pulldown judder, plus it would also add the combing problem the BFI article notes; whenever there is fast motion you will see the horizontal lines where the two slightly different fields are meshing together.

FoxyMulder said:
Your display may be adding 3:2 pulldown judder, 24p is the better choice as interlaced would result in lessened vertical resolution although you would have more precision ( 60 fields per second ) to space out the 18 fps.
Hi Foxy,

If you're going to ask me to comment on these things via private messages then copy and paste the answer, do please credit the source :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Just popped in my Thief of Bagdad and noticed a slight judder even at 24p, but it is indeed exacerbated when I switch over to 60hz. I still don't notice any judder at all on Die Nibelungen (both films), Coeur fidele or Battleship Potemkin.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I checked People On Sunday (1080i, 22fps) against Battleship Potemkin (1080p, 20fps?) and there is definitely a different look, but perhaps it's just frame speed? Potemkin at least looks much more natural than the old stretch printed version. One thing that surprised me was playing back People On Sunday resulted in no interlacing or ghosting when going frame by frame

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to ask a dumb question.

My Hitachi plasma and JVC projector have 24p "mode" (72 on the Hitachi, don't remember on the JVC) where I don't need pull down. I haven't ever seen this issue, probably because of this.

Anyway...does your choice of TV/projector play into this?

I would assume DLP and plasma sets along with DLP and D-ILA/LCoS would have an easier time with this than LCD TV or projector.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Patrick McCart said:
I checked People On Sunday (1080i, 22fps) against Battleship Potemkin (1080p, 20fps?) and there is definitely a different look, but perhaps it's just frame speed? Potemkin at least looks much more natural than the old stretch printed version. One thing that surprised me was playing back People On Sunday resulted in no interlacing or ghosting when going frame by frame
Which release of Potemkin are you watching? Only the BFI disc has regularly repeated frames (every third, for a total of 18 unique-6 repeat per second). The Kino is the original 25p source (made for PAL television broadcast), which contains irregularly repeated frames (18 unique-7 repeat?), and is slowed down to 24fps, increasing the run time.

Having irregularly repeated frames would likely cause judder.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Adam_S said:
I didn't notice any stuttering problem on the Buster Keaton shorts.
Me neither. Maybe I'm so acclimated to silent films of this age running weird on home video releases that my brain skips these issues and just enjoys the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks