What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Knock on Any Door (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With Nick Ray's Rebel Without a Cause recently announced for Blu-ray, I decided to visit his second film, after They Live By Night, the 1949 Knock on Any Door starring Humphrey Bogart.

A Columbia Picture, released by Sony as part of their Choice Collection, leads me to believe that Sony's MOD program is going to be a quality affair.

As photographed by Burnett Guffey, Knock on Any Door comes off as dark, dangerous and gritty. Blacks on the DVD are about as deep as they can get, while shadow detail pops, creating an image with real depth. Grain, which is always problematic for DVD is fine.

When I add films to my library, I tend to look at them from various perspectives. One major perspective is toward completionism. One step closer to having the entire works of both Mr. Bogart as well as Mr. Ray.

A wonderful film, and a great looking DVD. While I wish it was Blu-ray with all the added possible image information, this will have to do.

Image - 4.5 (DVD Standards)

Audio - 5 (DVD Standards)

Recommended.

RAH

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
I got quite excited upon finding this in the Blu-Ray section, only for my hopes to be cruelly dashed! I hope it's a title that Criterion or Twilight Time have their eyes on.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This has been a favorite of mine for many years. This could see a Blu-ray release whereas another one of my favorites of this ilk - Let No Man Write My Epitaph - hasn't even seen a DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks