-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EXTENDED EDITION (3D/2D BD Combo)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 of 66 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 826 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted August 02 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'd happily buy a different version of Hobbit if it were shorter.

Why all the extended edition hate?  The theatricals exist, but honestly, who even cares about the LOTR theatricals?  Those discs are coasters now.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#42 of 66 Tnilsson

Tnilsson

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 09:57 AM

I like extended editions when they result in a better, more enriching, movie experience than what the director was allowed to release to theaters (because theater owners want shorter movies so they can have more showings each day and make more money than they could with a longer movie with more limited showings).

But the Hobbit is the exception to that rule. The theatrical release already contained so much that was not in the book, and was already so padded by Jackson in an overly greedy effort to stretch this one story into three movies, that I can't imagine any extended edition being anything but even worse than the original overly-long and padded theatrical release. Hence my hate for any extended edition of this particular movie.

• David_B_K likes this

#43 of 66 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 10:37 AM

Why all the extended edition hate?  The theatricals exist, but honestly, who even cares about the LOTR theatricals?  Those discs are coasters now.

The theatrical versions of The Fellowship of the Rings and Return of the King are leaner, better-paced movies than the extended editions.  In my opinion, they tell the story better and are more fun to watch.  Peter Jackson also considered the theatrical verisons "the definitive versions" (http://www.ign.com/a...ackson-2?page=4).

#44 of 66 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,106 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't hate the EEs of LOTR, but they're all lesser films than the theatrical versions.  Adding time reduced the quality of the films, and in the case of ROTK, significantly so.

#45 of 66 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,804 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 02 2013 - 02:22 PM

I don't hate the EEs of LOTR, but they're all lesser films than the theatrical versions.  Adding time reduced the quality of the films, and in the case of ROTK, significantly so.

What about the demise of Christopher Lee's character in Return Of The King, the extended edition allows us to see it and it enhances the storyline, i thought Peter Jackson made a huge mistake in not having that scene in the theatrical edition.

• Randy Korstick likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#46 of 66 ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 02:29 PM

I love the extended editions of LOTR, and won't watch the theatricals again (never actually saw the theatrical cut of RotK, so can't comment on that). And I enjoyed Hobbit Part I a lot (apart from being mystified that nobody snuffed it, considering everything they went up against, but I accept that's the story).

So...

When I buy The Hobbit on blu, I'll be wanting the EEs... but not until they're all in one box. The first film was good, but not good enough that I'm gonna buy it (and the other two), and then moan and groan when a complete box comes out. Speculating that'll happen about Xmas 2015, I have no problem waiting for that.

#47 of 66 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,601 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 02:56 PM

I am all for the director having the ability to release extended/director's cuts. I'm also all for preservation of the original cut (Mr. Lucas). But while I bought all the TE and DE of the Lord of the Rings, I realized that I no longer watch either one. Because as time has distanced me from the novelty and excitement of seeing my favorite novel onscreen, I realize how far afield from the spirit of the book and characters PJ had gone.

While undoubtedly the world of Middle Earth is big, the stories in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are very personal, character-driven stories. Even in the near 12-hour EE of LoTR, PJ eschews character development for large action scenes and sweeping set pieces.

I've only just finished the first season of Game of Thrones, but now I find myself wishing this group of filmmakers and writers had tackled LoTR. The pacing and focus on character and plot in GoT is much more true to the style in which Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

So unfortunately I'll be passing on this EE of The Hobbit, as I already found the original TE so far afield of the book that I am not sure how 13 more minutes can rescue it in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong: PJs movies are great entertainment. They're just not good adaptations of a much-beloved and respected book.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#48 of 66 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,794 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 02 2013 - 02:58 PM

When I buy The Hobbit on blu, I'll be wanting the EEs... but not until they're all in one box. The first film was good, but not good enough that I'm gonna buy it (and the other two), and then moan and groan when a complete box comes out. Speculating that'll happen about Xmas 2015, I have no problem waiting for that.

The LOTR set was just the three EEs in one box. That doesn't mean that they absolutely won't add more content to a box set of The Hobbit but I think they'll just go with the three EEs in one box again.

#49 of 66 ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 03:08 PM

The LOTR set was just the three EEs in one box. That doesn't mean that they absolutely won't add more content to a box set of The Hobbit but I think they'll just go with the three EEs in one box again.

That's cool with me! I'm just happy to wait for all three in one nice package (like the LOTR EEs).  :)

#50 of 66 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 08 2013 - 08:53 AM

There are times, I feel, where an extended version of a film really makes the film better, more fleshed out.  One of the best examples of something like that is "Almost Famous".   But there are other times where extended editions just shove in scenes to get "unrated" cuts for some films, and fluff for others.  

I quite enjoyed the Extended cuts of LOTR:TT and LOTR:FOTR, but the extended edition of ROTK didn't do much more me. 

The problem with Hobbit is that it already felt like a seriously extended edition from the get go.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#51 of 66 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted August 08 2013 - 09:21 AM

Perhaps the blu-rays should be produced with a lot of branching so that you can decide for yourself the length and content.

#52 of 66 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,960 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 08 2013 - 09:32 AM

Here's my suggestion: when the box set comes out, include a copy of editing software so that we can create our own, single-film cuts as we see fit.  :D

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#53 of 66 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 06:54 PM

I cannot understand how they can make this fricken thing even longer. Why?! King Kong was bad enough. Hobbit needs to drop 500 pounds at least. But what do I know, I haven't made any multi-billion-dollar blockbusters. Maybe when we see all three of them put together in their extended forms, we'll all see the genius of taking a little children's book and blowing it unneccesarily out of all proportion.

For the moment, I am quite happy with the 0-minute reduced cut of The Hobbit, the one that takes up no shelf space in my living room. You're not getting my money this time.

• Stephen_J_H likes this
My DVDs

#54 of 66 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 07:16 PM

Beware the Best Buy exclusive 3D steel book doesn't appear to come with a 2D version of the movie and therefore does not contain the commentary.

I picked up my 3D version (including 2D version) from Walmart.

#55 of 66 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted November 06 2013 - 01:17 AM

Interesting discussion about the theatrical and extended versions. Fans seem to prefer the extended versions rather than the theatrical whilst over at Mad World everyone seems to be excited about the theatrical version (or at least one of them!). Perhaps there is more money to be made from LOTR/Hobbit by releasing theatrically the extended versions.

#56 of 66 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 07:01 AM

That's cool with me! I'm just happy to wait for all three in one nice package (like the LOTR EEs).  :)

During the commentary for "Hobbit", Peter Jackson discusses the possibility/likelihood of a massive "LOTR/Hobbit" boxed set down the road.  Obviously this can't happen until 2015 at the earliest, but he makes it sound like a probability, not a possibility...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#57 of 66 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 10:19 AM

Haven't seen part one. My big plan is to wait for a boxed set of all three EEs in 2015 and watch all nine hours in one sitting.

#58 of 66 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,483 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 06 2013 - 11:47 AM

During the commentary for "Hobbit", Peter Jackson discusses the possibility/likelihood of a massive "LOTR/Hobbit" boxed set down the road.  Obviously this can't happen until 2015 at the earliest, but he makes it sound like a probability, not a possibility...

I'm positive this will happen. It'll be really expensive and include tchotchkes and I won't buy it. :)

As for the LOTR EEs vs. TEs, I could see an argument about Fellowship, and I never saw the TE of ROTK, but I cannot imagine how anyone could defend the TE of Two Towers as superior to the EE. The Faramir tale alone is nonsensical in the TE.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#59 of 66 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,388 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 12:56 PM

People are still ignoring the fact that this trilogy is not based on one book but based on The Hobbit, The appendices from Return of the King and other writings of Tolkien all designed to bridge the gap between the Hobbit and LOTR. When it was 1st announced as 2 films the idea was One film on The Hobbit and a 2nd film on all the Pre-LOTR stuff but then they realized the 2nd film would probably suffer with a title like prelude to LOTR so they intermixed all the material to keep the title The Hobbit. It was later changed to 3 films when Jackson realised he was going to have alot more extra footage left then he originally thought and knew there was enough material to make 3 films. So wait until you see all 3 films before speaking I think many here will change their opinion once they see all 3. Since there is no more middle earth after this I'm very happy that its 3 films.

As for LOTR Extended I couldn't imagine watching the theatricals again, the Extended versions add so much more character and plot development that the theatricals look sloppy in comparison. I think they theatricals only work for those who read the books there is too much missing in the theatricals. I went to Felowship with 3 non-book readers and all of them asked "Why did they send little boys to do such a dangerous job?" None of them had any idea what a hobbit was. The "Concerning Hobbits" scene in the extended version is critical to non-book readers seeing the film for the 1st time just as it was critical in the book.

For the person commenting on GOT wait until you see the next 2 seasons, book readers are doing nothing but complaining at all the changes from the books. They didn't have big action scenes because its a TV show and they don't have the budget otherwise they would, The creators of the show are very clear about that.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#60 of 66 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 06:32 AM

It only took 20 minutes into watching the extended cut of The Hobbit for me to find it better than the theatrical cut.

The added moments in the scene between the elf king and the dwarf king immediately explained the tension between them.

And, it was late, so I switched over to the commentary track and it is another good one. Boyens and Jackson talk about "This scene will make more sense when you see what is in the third film," and "This scene is at the same location, outside Moria, where the fellowship ran to just after escaping from the Balrog."

I am really looking forward to digging into all the bonus content and watching the whole thing this coming weekend.

Edited by Mark Walker, November 07 2013 - 06:41 AM.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users