-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EXTENDED EDITION (3D/2D BD Combo)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 of 66 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:15 AM

Like many other people, I was astounded when I read that there was going to be an extended cut of this. The main complaint that just about anyone had was that it was too long. I am curious, though, to read what people think when this is released. 13 minutes doesn't make it all that much longer (considering how long the theatrical release is). I wonder if it could improve the pacing? For me, the movie's long enough that we'd end up watching it over 2 nights anyway (and it will take a week to watch all 3 films).

Now, I haven't seen this yet, and don't plan to until all 3 are out on disc. By that time, I will have had plenty of time to figure out if it makes more sense to get the theatrical versions or the extended versions (I know we'll be getting one or the other; my wife is a big fan of Tolkien, while I'm a big fan of epic fantasy in general).

Bottom line: mark me down as "curious".

Edited by Brian McHale, July 31 2013 - 11:16 AM.

Brian

#22 of 66 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:31 AM

Really?! You demand a pricing re-evaluation because you imagine the product de-valued after a window of two weeks?

Yes, really.  I think those prices are ridiculous even if they didn't delay the title two weeks.  I'm glad that you're okay with major titles being available for download weeks before physical copies are released.

BTW, where did I "demand a price re-evaluation"?  I was commenting on the price and the two week delay, I didn't "demand" anything.

Vincent

Edited by Vincent_P, July 31 2013 - 11:35 AM.

• cafink likes this

#23 of 66 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:34 AM

As Joe wrote, there is a lot more going on in this movie than just the story of The Hobbit. I have a feeling that once all three films are out, they may make more sense as a single, complex storyline. As it is, the existing film has a lot of threads and loose ends, too many of which don't resolve.

I am tempted to get this, but I know I'll be better served to await the eventual 3-film boxed set. :)

Incidentally, does anyone else prefer the 3-disc set's cover art over that of the 5-disc set as much as I do?

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#24 of 66 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:50 AM

It does seem rather pricey for only 13 minutes of footage.

Loved the first film, but may wait for a box set release after the final film.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#25 of 66 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 12:01 PM

As Joe wrote, there is a lot more going on in this movie than just the story of The Hobbit. I have a feeling that once all three films are out, they may make more sense as a single, complex storyline. As it is, the existing film has a lot of threads and loose ends, too many of which don't resolve.

That's basically how I feel. After seeing the first film, and getting a sense of how they might be dividing the second and third films up, my issue is no longer that it's a trilogy. My issue is that I don't know why it has to be three three-hour films.

Some scenes are so long and drawn out that a lot of the fun is sucked out. There are bits throughout the film that could have been trimmed up, but one thing that stuck out to me was all the business with Frodo at the beginning. It isn't even that long, but it feels interminable because it is so completely pointless. Then it ends up taking longer to get to the dwarves-meeting sequence, which is also too long.

Basically, the best way I can sum up the movie's pacing problems is that it takes too long to get to the parts that are too long. But as Brian mentioned above, it could be that those extra 13 minutes might actually improve the pacing; stranger things have happened.

At any rate, I like the film overall, and I might want to see the extended version. But I'll have to think about it, and that's something I never said about the LOTR extended cuts.

Edited by Bryan Tuck, July 31 2013 - 12:02 PM.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#26 of 66 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 31 2013 - 12:32 PM

Is the 3D in this film any good, i mean good depth and many pop out moments or is it just depth. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 of 66 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 12:38 PM

A deleted scene from The Hobbit is making its rounds.

As for the question concerning the 3D....

It is quite good, depth wise.  There may be a brief pop-out

here and there but nothing memorable.  It's the depth of the

Middle Earth that is really astounding to look at, particularly

in the size between the various characters.

• Tom Logan and FoxyMulder like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#28 of 66 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,016 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 31 2013 - 12:43 PM

Is the 3D in this film any good, i mean good depth and many pop out moments or is it just depth. ?

My memory is that it's almost all depth.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#29 of 66 ONLINE   Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:27 PM

This scene is EXACTLY what the theatrical version needed much more of: character development, nuanced acting, breathing space.

It may very well be that additional minutes result in a better-paced (and thus more enjoyable) movie.  Or so I hope.  :)

#30 of 66 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,507 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:30 PM

I for one am hoping for 13 more minutes of Radagast the Brown getting pooped on.

• Stephen_J_H likes this
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#31 of 66 ONLINE   Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:38 PM

Fecaled follicles flagrantly filch film's fineness.  Perhaps poop portions plucked primly per Peter's preference.

Or so one hopes.

• Stephen_J_H and ijthompson like this

#32 of 66 OFFLINE   Tommy R

Tommy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 06:18 PM

Having never read the book, I'm perfectly fine with how the first Hobbit movie turned out, being only familiar with the LotR movies. I even think that it was the most fun middle earth film since Fellowship. I greatly anticipate the next two films, but I just may wait a bit to pick up this extended version seeing as it's only 13 mins.

#33 of 66 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 01:08 AM

After the LOTR Extendeds, I just take it for granted that there's no reason to watch the Theatrical editions at all.

Yes, even for the Hobbits, although those suffer more from Prince Caspian's Disease, where the writers feel they have to "cure" a thin/short "kids" story with corny default screenwriter tropes.   Ick.

Thinking back eleven years, I dimly remember buying the Fellowship EE with an empty bookcase you could fill the other volumes with later, which was the only incentive toward not waiting for the boxset three years later.  They don't seem to be doing that this time around.

#34 of 66 OFFLINE   Ruly2

Ruly2

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 03:31 AM

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Here is the full breakdown of the Appendices as well as the other bonus features:

The Appendices: Part 7 – A Long-Expected Journey: The Chronicles of The Hobbit [14 part documentary]A Long-Expected Journey - A 14-part chronological history of the filming of An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, and the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects.:

• The Journey Back to Middle-Earth
  • Riddles in the Dark: Gollum’s Cave 
  • An Unexpected Party: Bag End 
  • Roast Mutton: Trollshaws Forest 
  • Bastion of the Greenwood: Rhosgobel 
  • A Short Rest: Rivendell and London 
  • Over Hill: The Misty Mountains 
  • Under Hill: Goblin Town
  • Out of the Frying Pan…: The Forest Ledge 
  • Return to Hobbiton: The Shire 
  • The Epic of Scene 88: Strath Taieri 
  • The Battle of Moria: Azanulbizar 
  • Edge of the Wilderland: Pick-ups and the Carrock and Home is Behind 
  • The World Ahead

The Appendices: Part 8 – Return to Middle-EarthAnother selection of documentaries and featurettes await, further detailing the development, design and production of An Unexpected Journey

♦ The Company of Thorin (8-part documentary)Explores the characters and backgrounds of the five families of dwarves and the company of actors chosen to play Thorin's company on the Quest of the Lonely Mountain.:

• Assembling the Dwarves 
  • Thorin 
  • Fili & Kili 
  • Balin & Dwalin 
  • Oin & Gloin
  • Dori
  • Nori & Ori 
  • Bifur
  • Bofur & Bombur

Mr. Baggins: The 14th Member A revealing look at the film's charismatic and talented lead actor, Martin Freeman.

Durin’s Folk: Creating the DwarvesReveals the journey and process of designing, conceptualizing and physically realizing the dwarves in The Hobbit.

The People and Denizens of Middle-Earth (4 part Featurette)Focuses on the realization of new characters and creatures encountered in the first film, from casting to characterization to physical and digital design.

• The Stone Trolls 
  • Radagast the Brown
  • Goblins 
  • Azog the Defiler

Realms of the Third Age: From Bag End to Goblin Town (5 part featurette) - Follows the creation of the Middle-Earth locations from conceptual design to set and prop building to fully digital realities.:

• Hobbiton
  • Rhosgobel 
  • Rivendell 
  • The Misty Mountains
  • Goblin Town

The Songs of The Hobbit A look at the realization of Tolkien's songs in An Unexpected Journey.

Edited by Ruly2, August 01 2013 - 03:37 AM.

#35 of 66 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,952 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 08:04 AM

There are bits throughout the film that could have been trimmed up, but one thing that stuck out to me was all the business with Frodo at the beginning. It isn't even that long, but it feels interminable because it is so completely pointless.

You are right about the Frodo business at the beginning.  I would have preferred something like a brief written statement of "Middle Earth __ time, __ years before the beginning of The Lord of the Rings."

#36 of 66 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:38 AM

IMO this was the best 3D I have seen yet, mainly due to the 48fps film speed making it so bright and clear (no idea how the home viewing experience is, but I assume if you own a 3D set you can crank up the brightness if desired :) ). I often find 3D films to be too murky.

Is it possible that the Extended Edition will have some material cut? It's possible that more than 13 minutes of footage is added but some existing scenes are trimmed.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#37 of 66 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:53 AM

IMO this was the best 3D I have seen yet, mainly due to the 48fps film speed making it so bright and clear (no idea how the home viewing experience is, but I assume if you own a 3D set you can crank up the brightness if desired :) ). I often find 3D films to be too murky.

Is it possible that the Extended Edition will have some material cut? It's possible that more than 13 minutes of footage is added but some existing scenes are trimmed.

On my Samsung plasma the brightness automatically goes much higher when set to 3D mode, it's okay but i always yearn for more, the latest F8500 has a lot more brightness but unlike my E6500 it suffers from image retention issues, none of that whatsoever on my E6500, i'll take less brightness over image retention any day of the week.

Edited by FoxyMulder, August 01 2013 - 10:54 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#38 of 66 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,113 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'd happily buy a different version of Hobbit if it were shorter.

• Tnilsson likes this

#39 of 66 OFFLINE   Tnilsson

Tnilsson

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 08:49 AM

While Jackson's Lord of the Rings was not my vision of the books, I thought he did a very good job and he seemed to stay true to the books. Though his Hobbit matches my vision of the book more than his prior efforts did (at least when he sticks to the book), I was horrified by all the bits he added that are not in the book, and in his overly-Hollywoodized chase and fight scenes that seemed more like something out of the Goonies than the Hobbit (silly rabbit-pulled sleighs, unbelievable collapsing bridge fight scenes, etc.). Jackson's Hobbit is an egocentric exercise that proves that Jackson is as subject to the Peter Principle as anyone else.

So I agree totally with Adam_S. I can't imagine an even longer, and more bastardized Hobbit than what Jackson already released in theaters. The only Hobbit I would ever buy would be a shortened version that sticks to the book, which I am sure will never be released by Jackson. Sad.

#40 of 66 OFFLINE   DennisBassi

DennisBassi

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted August 02 2013 - 09:01 AM

Does anyone know if the extended cut will include the theatrical cut?  I remember acquiring the standard definition DVDs which included both the theatrical releases as well as the extended cuts, but when it went to Blu-ray you had to buy them separately. I like having both.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users