Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless Router recommendation?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 of 30 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hehheh... I do want more (and would easily go for the next step up if it were simple to do), but we live in a part of the city that just doesn't make that easy.

The only option for faster right now is TWC, and I wouldn't trust them to make it easy (and worth the price to me) if I do jump from VZ's DSL to them... at least until VZ makes me regret stayung w/ them.

If I make the switch to TWC, I'd also need to consider switching landline phone service to them and other hassles. And then, my service would be at their mercy instead of VZ, and there would be no near-term competition for faster service for alternative, leverage, etc.

35M/35M hehheh. Guess I'd be tempted to do everything in the cloud w/ that. Almost fast enough to stream highest quality Blu-rays w/out rerender/processing. :) That's T1 speed, no?

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#22 of 30 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 10 2014 - 12:47 PM

Any thoughts on the best low-end wireless router? I see various Belkins and WDs and such in the $30-$50 range. My old Buffalo of 8+ years keeps crapping out, so I think it's time for a replacement. I'm not doing anything fancy; just connecting my PS3 (no online gaming, really) and iPad 4 to my DSL line.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#23 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 10 2014 - 06:27 PM

http://thewirecutter...linksys-ea2700/

If someone I knew needed an inexpensive wireless router that would cover their basic, day-to-day internet usage, I’d recommend a refurbished Linksys EA2700.

with the cavet

We’re warning against getting a cheap router at this point in time because we’d like to find a cheaper AC router to recommend in a few months.

#24 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 06:29 PM

Related, at the top end they also say to wait:

Lots of top-end AC1900 wireless routers coming out at CES, but we don't actually recommend you get one. Stay tuned for our updated router piece.

http://thewirecutter...r-asus-rt-n66u/

#25 of 30 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,532 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 10 2014 - 06:32 PM

I would buy a used Netgear WNDR4500. I bought one when it was first new.

Since it came out, linksys and Cisco leapfrogged it. Granted, it took 9 months to get leapfrogged.

Plenty for sale on EBay.

#26 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 06:35 PM

And curious, I looked into the rumor of a merged AppleTV and wifi router. The rumor is for an AppleTV combined with Airport Express. I'm not sure that's adequate. I don't need AC, but I'm not sure I'm ok with just two 100 Mbps ports. I'd have to take stock of my TV setup. If it does do all that, at $99, and spans my house, it might be worth the buy to try.

http://www.idownload...-tuner-airport/

Long story short, a much improved Apple TV hardware refresh is thought to include an 802.11ac wireless router functionality by way of AirPort Express integration. It should also come with a built-in TV tuner to control your existing cable boxes and TV stations and include gaming functionality.

#27 of 30 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,532 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 10 2014 - 06:40 PM

Dumb qurstion(of course I could look...)

What is "AC"?

One listing I read for the 4500(looked before recommending to make sure we're some) mentioned selling it cause they wanted AC.

#28 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 11:44 AM

AC is just a new wireless protocol.

#29 of 30 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 14 2014 - 11:36 AM

AC won't make any difference for my PS3 and iPad 4, though, right?

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#30 of 30 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 14 2014 - 05:33 PM

Aaron - Odds are 802.11 ac is faster than your broadband so you wouldn't notice any speed difference unless you are using it for data transfer between two wireless ac devices on your WLAN. That being said, my Airport Extreme includes ac in the specs but none of my devices use ac, only n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users