Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#321 of 461 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,592 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted November 10 2013 - 03:37 PM

Here is the Australian cover art...

4477722.jpg

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#322 of 461 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,657 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 10 2013 - 07:01 PM

Seriously, if the film ends up looking and sounding half as great as Dick Van Dyke does now, we've got ourselves a winner.

#323 of 461 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted November 10 2013 - 11:55 PM

Back in 1964 my 4th grade teacher took the entire class to see this at a first run theater in CT. Guess who was the only kid that didn't get to go? I was in bed with the flu or some such thing. I remember they brought me back the souvenir program.

I never got to see it until decades later when it was first released on home video.

#324 of 461 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:00 AM

Very excited that the released date is near, but why on earth is this great film not getting a special box set?  I think it deserves a nice collector's boxed set like 'Wizard of Oz" or "Sound of Music" got.  They could have included a book, postcards, extra features, etc.  From what we've heard so far, most of the special features have been carried over from the 40th Anniv edition.  Those were all wonderful, but the 50th deserves so much more.

Chris

#325 of 461 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,050 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 11 2013 - 06:42 AM

Very excited that the released date is near, but why on earth is this great film not getting a special box set?  I think it deserves a nice collector's boxed set like 'Wizard of Oz" or "Sound of Music" got.  They could have included a book, postcards, extra features, etc.  From what we've heard so far, most of the special features have been carried over from the 40th Anniv edition.  Those were all wonderful, but the 50th deserves so much more.

Disney doesn't typically do "big boxes of junk," as some people around here call them.  The last one I remember, and there were probably more in the last ten years or so, was the DVD Collector's Edition of The Lion King.  It had four small pictures in it, to the best of my memory.

#326 of 461 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 12:49 PM

Disney doesn't typically do "big boxes of junk," as some people around here call them.  The last one I remember, and there were probably more in the last ten years or so, was the DVD Collector's Edition of The Lion King.  It had four small pictures in it, to the best of my memory.

Thanks, Jason.  That makes sense.  

It would be great if there was a book released on the history and production of the film at least.  All the artwork and photographs that could be included would make a gorgeous presentation.  There have been many Poppins storybooks through the years, but not an entire hardcover book dedicated to the film itself.

Chris

#327 of 461 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted November 11 2013 - 01:15 PM

Mary Poppins was shown last night at Grauman's as part of the AFI Fest.  Here's a nice clip of Dick Van Dyke on the red carpet.  Halfway through he holds up the new blu-ray.  Thought I'd post this here as it's a nice little preview of the slip cover. 

He really looks and sounds great!

I find it interesting that he hopes that MARY POPPINS will someday get the same 3D treatment as The WIZARD of OZ.

For those who only know Dick Van Dyke as a song and dance man, and light comic actor, you really should check out the COLUMBO 4th season episode "Negative Reaction". It not only showcases Mr. Van Dykes ability as a dramatic actor, but it's one of the most highly rated Columbo episodes as well.

#328 of 461 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 11 2013 - 02:07 PM

All Van Dyke fans also need to hunt down his incredible performance as a self-destructive alcoholic in the heartbreaking telefilm THE MORNING AFTER (1974), which unfortunately remains MIA on any home video format.

#329 of 461 OFFLINE   westham

westham

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 06:30 AM

UK release is out today - I have a copy and it seems to have most of the USA listed bonus features but certainly doesn't have the 7.1 audio. Quite surprised by this - 5.1 DTS-HD audio only. I have attached a scan of the rear cover below.

Picture quality is OK'ish. Expected a lot more perhaps but this one looks like it has quite a lot of grain compared to the trailer I looked at.

Scan 2.jpeg

#330 of 461 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 18 2013 - 06:41 AM

A Disney film which features animation and it has film grain left in it, lo and behold there is a God, let's hope this catches on.

Edited by FoxyMulder, November 18 2013 - 06:59 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#331 of 461 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 632 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted November 18 2013 - 07:13 AM

Is the Buena Vista logo at the beginning of the film?

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#332 of 461 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 07:32 AM

Bruce already answered for the US.  On the 2004 documentary "A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman," he mentioned that some theatres (he surmises London) played with an intermission, taking place after "Stay Awake."  They even included a shot of the intermission card:

Posted ImageMaryPoppinsIntermission.JPG

Does anyone know if foreign versions also included an overture and exit music?  The main title music is sometimes billed as the Overture on some soundtracks, but I haven't come across any exit music.

When I first saw MARY POPPINS (at The Midtown Theatre, in Philadelphia), in the first week of its run, it had an intermission after "Stay Awake".  When I went back to see it (at the same theater, months later), it did not.

#333 of 461 OFFLINE   westham

westham

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 08:37 AM

Is the Buena Vista logo at the beginning of the film?

Hi,

It has this at the start with a fanfare of sorts.

Mark Poppins start.jpg

#334 of 461 OFFLINE   westham

westham

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 08:45 AM

Quick screen grab:

MP screen grab.jpg

#335 of 461 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 08:52 AM

POPULAR

Hi,

It has this at the start with a fanfare of sorts.

Posted ImageMark Poppins start.jpg

That fanfare is by orchestrator Irwin Kostel, and is part and parcel of MARY POPPINS.  Thank God, they've restored it.  It was missing from the latest DVD release; and, as insignificant as it might seem to others, it was greatly missed by me.

#336 of 461 OFFLINE   westham

westham

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 08:54 AM

That fanfare is by orchestrator Irwin Kostel, and is part and parcel of MARY POPPINS.  Thank God, they've restored it.  It was missing from the latest DVD release; and, as insignificant as it might seem to others, it was greatly missed by me.

Hope it is the one you want - it lasts for about 5-6 seconds only.

#337 of 461 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 08:56 AM

Yes, that's all it lasts, but it's how MARY POPPINS begins.  Without it, the beginning is missing.  It's a visceral thing.

#338 of 461 OFFLINE   westham

westham

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 09:08 AM

Quite amazed by how many extras are on this - some great footage from the premiere plus 2 x almost 1 hour long special features and loads more. A few look new to the Blu Ray as they are shot in HD. Some covering the stage musical (looks recent).

Just wish the UK release had the 7.1 track but not much going on with the 5.1 surrounds anyway so perhaps no great loss!

#339 of 461 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted November 18 2013 - 09:39 AM

Back in 1964 my 4th grade teacher took the entire class to see this at a first run theater in CT. Guess who was the only kid that didn't get to go? I was in bed with the flu or some such thing. I remember they brought me back the souvenir program.

I never got to see it until decades later when it was first released on home video.

And your parents didn't take you?  To paraphase Uncle Albert, that's the saddest thing I ever heard. 

#340 of 461 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,269 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 09:40 AM

All Van Dyke fans also need to hunt down his incredible performance as a self-destructive alcoholic in the heartbreaking telefilm THE MORNING AFTER (1974),

+ The Runner Stumbles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users