What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.jpg

(Ad as appears in Home Media Magazine)

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One of my fave childhood films as well. Lots of memories for me, and I do believe this was the first movie that ever made me cry. :)

Please, please, PLEASE Disney, do this gem justice!!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The sing-along bonus is now "Mary-Oke". Yuk yuk. :lol:

We weren't fooled for a second, and knew this would be coming out in tandem with Tom Hanks, we all just didn't know we'd hear about it so soon.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I love the retro font used on this edition. I am hoping for the best on the HD audio. Also crossing my fingers they stick to the 1.66:1 aspect ratio.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dpippel said:
One of my fave childhood films as well. Lots of memories for me, and I do believe this was the first movie that ever made me cry. :)
Lemme guess: Mr. Banks on his way to being dishonorably de-banked? :)

(Proof that arranger Irwin Kostal, as in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Charlotte's Web, could turn a good Sherman Bros. song into a Great one.)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Nope. I was 6 when I saw this during it's theatrical release, and actually teared-up at the close when Mary flew off and Bert said "Goodbye Mary Poppins. Don't stay away too long." I just didn't want the story to end. ;)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I am thrilled but trying not to get my hopes up too high. I have very high expectations for this and the higher the expectation the harder the fall if it's not perfect. And in this case practically perfect is not perfect enough! :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wonder if they're going to digitally re-compose any of the animated process shots-- hoping to avoid any translucent squirrels scampering around Bert's feet...

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Ethan Riley said:
I wonder if they're going to digitally re-compose any of the animated process shots-- hoping to avoid any translucent squirrels scampering around Bert's feet...
No not another STAR WARS!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Why panic before anyone sees the release? Seems such a waste of time. There was no question when this was coming - canny marketing tie in with Saving Mr. Banks. We're doing our bit, too, here in LA with a Kritzerland show (we do these once a month at The Federal in North Hollywood - the first Sunday of every month, we're about to celebrate three years!) and the November show is a Sherman Brothers show (our first Encore show - we did one two years ago). Richard Sherman will be there and will sing something and we always have five great singers and one great guest star. So, if you're in LA come on down and meet Richard and listen to all the Sherman Brothers' classics.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Although I am not the panicky type, there are instances when things can be fixed or changed at the last minute due to letters, emails, and yes, the internet. Films like the Hitchcock Blu-ray set, the Universal monsters set (DRACULA, in particular), The aspect ratio for SHANE have had improvements and changes made prior to release due to fan’s comments. I know most of these came about because of certain sequences from the restored versions showing up on YouTube beforehand, but at least some attempt was made to fix certain things.
My main worry is the MARY POPPINS soundtrack. I think the last version was good, but the previous version had that ghastly DISNEY HOME THEATER sound or some moniker like that and the reverb added was just horrible. It sounded like they rerecorded it in a large master bathroom.
Of course, most problems we just can’t predict until we see the final results. There are infinite possibilities of doing something wrong. I am sure MARY POPPINS will be a challenge to the Blu-ray authoring and cleanup as there are so many analog effect shots of almost every type in this great classic. But I have high hopes and expectations.
Oh, and one more thing, was the Intermission in Mary Poppins for only foreign versions or did it play in the USA with an Intermission?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
dpippel said:
Nope. I was 6 when I saw this during it's theatrical release, and actually teared-up at the close when Mary flew off and Bert said "Goodbye Mary Poppins. Don't stay away too long." I just didn't want the story to end. ;)
Nice memory, but next time how about a friendly neighborhood SPOILER WARNING? Unilkely as it may seem, it's possible some folks reading this thread may never have seen the movie.

The HTF policy on this should always be to never assume everyone has seen everything and to always include a SPOILER warning. Rant over.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
John Morgan said:
Oh, and one more thing, was the Intermission in Mary Poppins for only foreign versions or did it play in the USA with an Intermission?
Bruce already answered for the US. On the 2004 documentary "A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman," he mentioned that some theatres (he surmises London) played with an intermission, taking place after "Stay Awake." They even included a shot of the intermission card:

MaryPoppinsIntermission.JPG

Does anyone know if foreign versions also included an overture and exit music? The main title music is sometimes billed as the Overture on some soundtracks, but I haven't come across any exit music.

Users who are viewing this thread