-

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

If I could convince you to buy a Blu-ray blindly....

Lionsgate

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 of 74 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,424 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 17 2013 - 08:39 PM

Ron:

Thanks for the thread and for the nudge to give this film a try (a true blind buy).

I didn't know anything about it.  But I do now.  I wish more people did. 

A great script and a great ensemble cast which produced a number of fine performances.  Jeff Nichols wrote and directed a very personal tale which hit all the right notes in weaving together all those different stories of male-female relationships (and father-son relationships). 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#62 of 74 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 10:45 PM

Mike,

You are very welcome.

Hopefully all of us can continue to spread the word and encourage

others to discover this wonderful film.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#63 of 74 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thanks, Neal.  I got a separate confirmation over in this week's RoundUp. 

Don't wait.  I got the last copy of Mud in my local BB today.  And it wasn't in the new releases endcap...it was tucked away all by itself in the drama section.

Best Buy seems to want their customers to leave empty-handed these days, possibly never to return. They have completely revamped their Blu-ray and DVD shelves (very confusing displays), and moved them back from the front of the store. The last three movies (new releases) that I asked for were not on display, which I discovered after looking for twenty minutes or so each time -- an associate had to go to the back room and find them. This is the worst kind of incentive for me to retain a Best Buy card and shop at their local retail store. Amazon's better in every way: in-stock, even lower prices, fast shipping. BB is doomed if they continue on as they are, in my opinion.

Edited by Dick, August 18 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#64 of 74 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,424 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 18 2013 - 10:45 AM

Mike,

You are very welcome.

Hopefully all of us can continue to spread the word and encourage

others to discover this wonderful film.

And I did just that this morning by telling a few people at my church about the film.  None of them had ever heard of it and there are some real cinema lovers in the group!  I gave it a very high recommendation.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#65 of 74 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,424 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 18 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have a similar question to Aaron's.  Is there any/much violence or scary stuff in the film?  I'm hoping to watch the film with my wife...but she's got issues with gore, fright, etc.  I'm hoping that it's pretty much a straight drama.

There is a climactic shootout, but it doesn't contain in-your-face gore. Otherwise, it's a very unusual domestic-style drama. My review went up a few hours ago, and it contains some additional information you might find useful about the film's contents.

I just wanted to come back to this because my wife did watch the film with me and enjoyed it very, very much.  She doesn't like action films at all (or anything scary--and she has a LOW threshold as to what's scary!).

Probably one of our favorite films that we both really enjoyed in recent years was Doubt.  This one now makes it onto our list of recent favorites.  I know we will revisit it down the road. 

#66 of 74 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:51 PM

Just blind bought this on a shopping trip to Montana. Really looking forward to it and staying spoiler-free.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#67 of 74 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 22 2013 - 01:22 PM

Just blind bought this on a shopping trip to Montana. Really looking forward to it and staying spoiler-free.

Just out of curiosity ... is that a trip from British Columbia, Alberta or Saskatchewan? 

#68 of 74 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 23 2013 - 08:36 AM

It was a rather convoluted trip from SK into Montana, then back into AB.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#69 of 74 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,359 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted August 23 2013 - 01:29 PM

Ron: you convinced me to buy (pre-order) blindly. I don't even know when this is coming out in Canada...

#70 of 74 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 02:48 PM

I purchased 'Mud' on Blu-ray (blind buy) on release date and it's been sitting (unopened) ever since.  Why?

Because it will be the main feature of our double-feature in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater on August 31.  I've heard so many good things about this movie, I wanted it to see it for the first time on our big screen, just like our guests!

I'm absolutely dying to see it!  It's been difficult to wait this long.  But we were traveling and couldn't schedule a Booth Bijou Garage Theater event before the end of August.

The other movie we'll be showing is 'Olympus Has Fallen', which I've already seen.  Popcorn flick action, all the way.  But I know 'Mud' will be the highlight of the evening!

T-minus 8 days and counting!

Mark

#71 of 74 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 23 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm going to try and watch this this weekend.

Pillow Book showed up today. So may make a movie night with the gf with them.

#72 of 74 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,743 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 04:30 PM

I watched the film earlier today and I'll start with the criticisms and then move on...

The 'shootout' felt like it belonged in a different film with a tone that was so different than everything that had came before.  The film hints at that level of violence earlier with several fist fights and threats but it still felt somewhat out of place.   As I recall a similar film, Ulee's Gold, had a violent confrontation at its finale; but it was more measured, if I recall correctly.  (It has been a lot of years since I viewed that fine film, so I could be wrong.)

As much as I enjoy Michael Shannon as an actor, his scenes could have been cut from the film as they really don't drive the narrative perhaps beyond establishing Neck Bone's family history.

To be sure, these are both minor criticisms of a fine film that I enjoyed quite a bit.

The boys were both terrific three dimensional characters with their relationship being the 'meat' of the film.  I was pleasantly surprised that so much of the film was a 'coming of age' film dealing with these two individuals.   As others have stated, there were echoes of Stand By Me in this film which were really well executed.  

McConaughey's screen presence and natural charm were a perfect match for the character of Mud.  His nearly endless optimism with regards to the love of his life struck a chord with Ellis who had similar feelings on the topic.  This optimism and the innocence of Ellis' character was one of the most appealing aspects of the film for me.  Despite some of the hard lessons he learned during the course of the film, Ellis was still hopeful which ingratiated me to his character and the performance of the fine young actor portraying him.

Growing up in a rural setting the outdoors sequence really felt authentic, especially the types of adventures young boys would go on in the countryside.  Exploring, finding odd things in the outdoors, dealing with snakes and other animals, etc.  

A solid film that was very enjoyable to view.  

Fans of this film and Michael Shannon in general would be well served by director Nichols' earlier effort Take Shelter, which features a compelling, flawless performance from Michael Shannon.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, August 24 2013 - 04:33 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#73 of 74 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 11:52 PM

'Mud' was the main feature in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater this evening!  WHAT A FABULOUS MOVIE!  It was SO worth the wait!  Easily, the best Blu-ray blind-buy I've ever made!  The Booth Bijou gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars!

Our guests applauded (loudly) at the end of 'Mud'!

Mark

#74 of 74 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 11:53 PM

Easily, the best Blu-ray blind-buy I've ever made! 

Welp....looks like my job is done here!

Walter, enjoyed reading your take on the film.  Not too 

much criticism, thankfully.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lionsgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users