Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Greystoke The Legend of Tarzan Lord of the Apes -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 05:47 AM

I recall first seeing Greystoke, Hugh Hudson's highly detailed, huge-budgeted and beautiful retelling of the Tarzan story, at the Gomillion screening room.  It was a 70mm screening print, and probably the first to be struck from the negative.

The 6-track stereo was amazing.

The experience was unforgettable.

Now, almost three decades later, courtesy of The Warner Bros. Archive Collection, I can pop a one ounce disc into my Oppo and relive that experience, albeit on a slightly smaller screen.

Before going into any discussion of the film or Blu-ray, kudos must be paid to Rick Baker, who (as he had before) created the apes for Greystoke, taking what had been learned before and moving the art forward.

One of the more interesting things is that rather than going for generic gorillas, he and his team created pseudo-apes, allowing for more audience recognition of the ape characters, as well as the ability to follow them as they age.

There is a great article on Mr. Baker and his work in Cinefex Number 16.  Seek it out for further details.  For those who enjoy film, but are not Cinefex subscribers...

Photographed by the great John Alcott in Super Techniscope (35/3), scanning the original elements created some minor problems for the WB team, as grain was generally accentuated, and the layers of smoke, fog and mist occasionally seen in the film, could become problematic.  For those who have been waiting for Greystoke to hit retail, I'm betting that massaging these details may have been the hold-up.

The final result is nothing short of amazing.

Perfect color, density, shadow detail, grain structure, black levels...  all in place.

Audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 is as superb as it ever was, which is very superb.

The film was edited by Anne V. Coates, who is known for some other work in the UK a bit earlier.

A glorious Blu-ray presentation of a brilliant film, from the director who brought us Chariots of Fire.

As to the WB Archive Collection, if they went public, I'd be on line buying shares.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 25 2013 - 06:52 AM

And it has a dream of an underscore composed by John Scott who also incorporated some Elgar into his score for added authenticity.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 25 2013 - 07:51 AM

Having never seen this film I've been sort of on the fence with it thinking it's a tongue-in-cheek sendup of the old films (don't know what led me to that conclusion) but a rousing endorsement from Mr. Harris is more than enough to convince me to spring for a copy. Can't help but think, though, that a film like this probably deserves a special edition but this seems fine for now. Now if Warner would only fast-track that long MIA release of FEARLESS.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 25 2013 - 07:59 AM

If only WB Archive shipped to Canada.......*sigh*

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 25 2013 - 08:09 AM

Have you tried Importcds.com? I got my copy of Greystoke from them (it was $5 cheaper than Amazon). Don't know if they ship to Canada but they very well might.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 25 2013 - 08:14 AM

Or the UK....I guess it's back to Amazon or Movietyme instead.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted July 25 2013 - 08:18 AM

I thoroughly recommend Importcds.com for UK folk. I get all of my Olive and Scream Factory releases through them.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 25 2013 - 09:08 AM

I thoroughly recommend Importcds.com for UK folk. I get all of my Olive and Scream Factory releases through them.

Will they put the value as under £15 even if it's more or do they pay all taxes for you. ?

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 09:19 AM

Warner-- How about FEARLESS next?

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted July 25 2013 - 09:47 AM

Will they put the value as under £15 even if it's more or do they pay all taxes for you. ?

Unsure on this. Their website claims that all items are shipped from the U.S. via DHL Globalmail, and that they are subject to customs fees.

But, every single one of my orders (all sub-£15 single item orders) have been delivered by Royal Mail, with a UK return address. All have arrived in 5-6 working days. So I think they must have some of their stock in the U.K. already, but I have yet to risk placing a greater than £15 order with them to really test them out. 

Edited by EddieLarkin, July 25 2013 - 09:48 AM.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted July 25 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yes, this looks as I remember it in the theater in '84. It has been a favorite of mine since. Warner needs to step up it's Archive Blu-ray output if Greystoke is an indication of the quality we can expect. It seems they took their time with this and had a couple delays, but they got it right.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 12:01 PM

Is it the Director's Cut or the Original version?

Ken

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is it the Director's Cut or the Original version?

Warner has released the roadshow version with Overture and prologue.

RAH

• Ken Koc likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 25 2013 - 12:30 PM

Warner has released the roadshow version with Overture and prologue.

RAH

Isn't this version the one we have always had in Europe. ?

• Ken Koc likes this

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've just ordered Greystoke from ImportCd's for $14.27. Thats well under the customs limit. Including postage to the UK it was $21.26 so thats about 14 quid in total.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 07:41 AM

Finally got a chance to watch "Greystoke" last night and Mr. Harris (as usual) was right on the money.

One of my favorite films of the '80s, this is an outstanding-looking (and sounding) Blu-ray presentation. The image is immaculate, and textures are beautifully rendered.

The PQ and AQ are really amazing, and I found myself seeing things within the film that I had never noticed before...and I've seen it dozens of times. 

Yet another example of how a first-rate Blu presentation can breathe new life into a film that I thought I knew inside and out.

Looking forward to more Blu from Warner Brothers archives!

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 06 2013 - 01:09 PM

I've just ordered Greystoke from ImportCd's for $14.27. Thats well under the customs limit. Including postage to the UK it was $21.26 so thats about 14 quid in total.

I cancelled my order from Importcds because they don't have it in stock and they have an annoying habit of automatically cancelling if a certain number of days go by and they don't get stock. I'll just pay the $5 extra on Amazon and I'll have it in 2 days.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users