7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 06:59 AM

I know.

Next thing will be frogs falling from the skies.

Again.

I've sampled Olive's release of the delightful Sam Wood comedy, The Devil and Miss Jones, and have come away pleased.

Both image and audio quality are quite exemplery.

Nice gray scale, with proper black levels.  Grain and shadow detail look fine.  Dupes are what they are.

If every Olive release looked even close to this, I'd be a happy camper.

A wonderful film, with terrific production values across the board.

If ordering on line, not to be confused with The Devil in Miss Jones, which is apparently not available on Blu-ray.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 4.5

Recommended.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 8 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 08:48 AM

What do you think accounts for your different view of this film from something like The Quiet Man?  Is it that this film is black and white or does it seem that Olive is now doing something that they were not doing previously?  thanks

#3 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 01:51 PM

What do you think accounts for your different view of this film from something like The Quiet Man?  Is it that this film is black and white or does it seem that Olive is now doing something that they were not doing previously?  thanks

Has nothing to do with color, aspect ratio or sound recording.  

Simply quality.

This one is a nice job.  The Quiet Man is one step above garbage.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 8 kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 02:18 PM

The Quiet Man is one step above garbage.

RAH

Talk about hyperbole!

#5 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 02:55 PM

Talk about hyperbole!

Hardly.

The Quiet Man is an unfinished piece of work, that should never have been released to Blu-ray.

RAH

#6 of 8 Mark-P

Mark-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 24 2013 - 07:27 PM

Talk about hyperbole!

Still, this "one step above garbage" also gets a "recommended" stamp, so it depends on which Robert Harris you choose to listen to. I'm happy with my BD of The Quiet Man.

#7 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 10:02 PM

Still, this "one step above garbage" also gets a "recommended" stamp, so it depends on which Robert Harris you choose to listen to. I'm happy with my BD of The Quiet Man.

It was an Olive-type rec. with more thought it will be removed.

#8 of 8 McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted July 25 2013 - 09:37 PM

If ordering on line, not to be confused with The Devil in Miss Jones, which is apparently not available on Blu-ray.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 4.5

Recommended.

Ah, but surely if I have seen and enjoyed the later film, I would enjoy this one? I mean, how much difference can a conjunction make, anyway?

Edited by McCructhy, July 25 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users