Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Zone Receiver.

Best Answer schan1269 , July 24 2013 - 08:12 PM

Here you go...

BIC DV62
BIC DV52
BIC DV52CLRS

That there, minus a sub, is under $300. The DV62 is a healthy enough speaker that you can make due without it for a while. If you want to spend even less, 2 pairs of 52.

But usually, you spend 75% of your ENTIRE budget on speakers.

AVR+BD+streaming device+gaming device+"whatever else you got"=your speaker budget.

Why?

Cause if you buy them right, once, you'll have them 25-125 years(meaning your great grandkids will be using them). Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 UHF/VHF

UHF/VHF

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hello. I am as un-tech as they come. Am looking to set up surround in small living room and two speakers outside for deck. I would LIKE to spend $400 or less for receiver. From reading some forums it looks like I need a 7.1 dual zone.

I am only running a blu-ray (Sony with adapter to wireless router) and sat. receiver (Direct TV) into JVC 47" 1080p.

Apologies in advance but I am not looking to rattle my fillings or shake the rafters. Just want better sound than from tv's speakers (mostly watch kids movies as the little ones are home all summer).

I want 5.1 surround in living room. I also want to listen to music on deck without having to play music inside. Hence the need for dual zone.

I have found online an Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver for $328 brand new.

Is this what I am looking for? Specs say Multi-Zone Playback....Powered Zone 2, Zone 2 Lineout.

Again just looking for good sound system with seperate zone for deck. Theater-in-box would be OK.

Also suggests to purchase Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter with receiver. Do I need this since blu-ray is wireless?

Read some reviews on-line (124-5 star, 40-1 star) seems they were having HDMI port trouble and firmware problems. Every item on-line gets good and bad reviews. Who do you believe?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

#2 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,903 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:52 PM

The 515 does what you need. Onkyo sells the most, they have the most failures.

As long as you buy it authorized, you have a 2yr warranty. Refurbs have less warranty(if buying from A4L).

#3 of 8 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,803 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted July 24 2013 - 09:01 AM

The only other consideration with multi-zone operation (and Sam usually mentions this) is that only analog connections are output for the second zone.

So, if you use HDMI to connect all of your devices to the receiver, you will ALSO need to run analog connections for any of those devices you may want to listen to via zone 2.

For instance, if you want to use your Blu-ray player to play CDs for Zone 2, you will need a second connection (red/white analog RCA's) from the Blu-ray player to to a separate input (CD?) on the Onkyo.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 8 UHF/VHF

UHF/VHF

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the green light and the heads up on the RCA cables. Now just need to find some decent speakers for the living room and I will be all set. Any suggestions on some reliable ones that won't break the bank?

#5 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,903 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 11:56 AM

How big is the bank?

#6 of 8 UHF/VHF

UHF/VHF

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 07:38 PM

Trying not to spend more than $500-$600 on surround system. If receiver is $328 that leaves me about
$172-$272 approximately. As stated earlier just small living room approx. 15'x18'.

#7 of 8 UHF/VHF

UHF/VHF

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 07:52 PM

Just did quick Google search. May need to re-examine bank :(

#8 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,903 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 08:12 PM   Best Answer

Here you go...

BIC DV62
BIC DV52
BIC DV52CLRS

That there, minus a sub, is under $300. The DV62 is a healthy enough speaker that you can make due without it for a while. If you want to spend even less, 2 pairs of 52.

But usually, you spend 75% of your ENTIRE budget on speakers.

AVR+BD+streaming device+gaming device+"whatever else you got"=your speaker budget.

Why?

Cause if you buy them right, once, you'll have them 25-125 years(meaning your great grandkids will be using them).
  • UHF/VHF likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users