Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Well, maybe I will get a 4K HDTV... Sony to do 4K downloads

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 2,087 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 18 2013 - 10:19 PM

Wow... I never really thought that a studio would step up and provide movies in 4K.  Well, Sony is doing that for "movie downloads" this fall via its Video Unlimited service. 

Previously, 4K TV owners could only get native 4K content from Sony's 4K media server, which is delivered to users with the content pre-loaded. Any content updates are done manually through a hard-wire connection.

I'm not really 100% clear on all of this as Video Unlimited is a streaming service.  Streaming <> downloads, which was specifically called out in the press release.  Also, after going to Video Unlimited's web site it appears that you can only stream to Sony devices.  Many of the devices referenced certainly don't have enough storage to download a 4K movie.  Also, what happens with bandwidth issues? 

It's kind of funny... Sony was one of the biggest Blu-ray supporters during the format wars.  Now they release 4K on a streaming service and not on the format that was going to take us all into the future....

So, does anyone have one of the compatible devices that will be willing to step us this fall and tell us what the native 4K content looks like?

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 23 2013 - 10:19 AM

I've been trying to get a review unit from a few manufacturers but so far no luck!  Not willing to drop the $3.5+ on the asus one that popped up but they are getting closer to my price point.  Chicken and Egg on content vs. screens for sure, hopefully PC monitors lead the way:

http://www.anandtech...-monitor-review

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users