What's new

RIPD quick Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Baffling. A setup that could basically be defined as Men in Black for dead people, the jokes came across as overly hammy, the action was somewhat tedious and a completely missing second act. DSent from my Nokia 920 using Tapatalk

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'll go * 1/2 (out of 4) but yeah, it's a complete misfire. It's obviously trying to be MEN IN BLACK with a touch of GHOSTBUSTERS thrown in but you've also got the "love story" from GHOST, which is just horribly done here. Reynolds is 100% boring in the lead and I'm growing tired of Bridges playing The Dude over and over again. Even worse is that had zero chemistry together and couldn't play off one another. I thought Parker and Bacon were good. The special effects were decent but the imagination of the "monsters" was just downright bad. Is this really what $120+ million gets you????

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Michael Elliott said:
I'll go * 1/2 (out of 4) but yeah, it's a complete misfire. It's obviously trying to be MEN IN BLACK with a touch of GHOSTBUSTERS thrown in but you've also got the "love story" from GHOST, which is just horribly done here. Reynolds is 100% boring in the lead and I'm growing tired of Bridges playing The Dude over and over again. Even worse is that had zero chemistry together and couldn't play off one another. I thought Parker and Bacon were good. The special effects were decent but the imagination of the "monsters" was just downright bad. Is this really what $120+ million gets you????
I thought it was $160M..

Look, here are the big issues I had after talking about it with others;

(1) The setup of them being in other bodies was cute... but it NEVER came into play later; example: Bridges is a hot white woman who occassionally uses it, but you never see freaked out reactions of anyone when they find out he's a guy. The same goes the other way.. Reynolds is a tiny elderly asian man.. who manages to catch his former spouse on a race track to have her STARE UP at him, when we have already established the tiny chinese guy is about a foot shorter then she is..

(2) Right off the bat we know that they can't be injured or hurt so all of the car chase scenes have absolutely no impact because they are never at any risk.

(3) The "dead-os" are all unimaginative just blobby characters with big mouths. They are somehow outted by kumin or indian food, which was never at any point explained or even given a throwaway comment.. it just sat there.

(4) You are right, there is NO chemistry.

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I saw it in 3D, but honestly I have no idea why it was even in 3D. They didn't seem to have a whole lot of scenes designed for it. The cownboy jargon got pretty old and the story was sort of a flop. I kept waiting for something awesome to happen and it never did. Oh well, another $11 down the drain.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
Ok then. I was hoping this apparent 10-yr late MIB knockoff would be fun. I'll pass then.
It's actually based on a comic book from 2001.

Of course, Men In Black was based on a comic book from 1990. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks