What's new

Predator 3D coming to Blu-ray in December (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
predator-1.jpg

Just announced at Comic-Con...

Predator 3D will be coming to Blu-ray.

Limited Edition Head Packaging (500 available)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The last Blu-ray release of this movie was such a disaster that maybe a new transfer had to be struck in order to do the conversion.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
lukejosephchung said:
According to the Tweet by Fox's Jamie Finn, both the 2D and 3D are new 4k transfers...HALLELUJAH!!!
good news if really true. if not, i stick with my old mpeg2 version. can you please provide the link to his tweet. i can't find it.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I have no idea why so many people think the old mpeg2 version is OK. It as less resolution than the recent remaster, it's just masked by a huge amount of video noise. Anyway, this new release will render hopefully both of those obsolete.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron,

Can you confirm with your contacts at Fox if the 2D version is actually a new 4K transfer? There seems to be a little confusion about this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am meeting with Fox tomorrow night. I shall ask. In fact,
I may be able to get an answer sooner.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can you confirm with your contacts at Fox if the 2D version is actually a new 4K transfer? There seems to be a little confusion about this.
Just received confirmation directly from Fox that the 2D
version (in addition to the 3D) is indeed a new 4K transfer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Is this new 4K transfer actually new or was it the basis for the last Predator release which some people ( including myself ) would not buy.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Awesome, thanks! Very much looking forward to this.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
I went to SDCC few weeks ago and got the chance to talk to someone that looked to be the manager of the Predator 3D Booth. I first started out by referencing the "Ultimate Edition" and the problems with the edition's transfer being DNR'd to heck and back. His response was a very sincere "mistakes were made on that release" which quite honestly took me by surprise. But than I remembered that 20th Century Fox has been re-issueing their controversial BluRays with better/different video transfers that seem to get better praise on release, so I was glad he said they re-scanned the film and won't repeat the same mistake.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ted Van Duyn said:
I went to SDCC few weeks ago and got the chance to talk to someone that looked to be the manager of the Predator 3D Booth. I first started out by referencing the "Ultimate Edition" and the problems with the edition's transfer being DNR'd to heck and back. His response was a very sincere "mistakes were made on that release" which quite honestly took me by surprise. But than I remembered that 20th Century Fox has been re-issueing their controversial BluRays with better/different video transfers that seem to get better praise on release, so I was glad he said they re-scanned the film and won't repeat the same mistake.
I remember them saying that transfer was "director approved" so i guess it depends on who you speak to, if this really is a brand new 4K film scan and doesn't have the DNR - Edge enhancement sharpening issues then i will re-buy it, not interested in the 3D edition because they will have to go for a very smooth look for that release.

I wonder why Universal didn't do a brand new 2D release for Jurassic Park, the 3D edition isn't to my liking but they could have taken the opportunity to make a new 2D release which improves on the original release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is this new 4K transfer actually new or was it the basis for the last Predator release which some people ( including myself ) would not buy.
The information I received comes directly from James Finn at Fox.

However, just for you, Malcolm, I am going to again pose the question
again to Mr. Finn tonight when I see him. I'm certain that he's going to
reiterate to me that this is a brand-new transfer all around.

Check back in this thread later this evening.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Fox has been cranking out some very good transfers on some of the catalog titles I have seen lately and I think this one is going to turn out well.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I remember them saying that transfer was "director approved" so i guess it depends on who you speak to, if this really is a brand new 4K film scan and doesn't have the DNR - Edge enhancement sharpening issues then i will re-buy it, not interested in the 3D edition because they will have to go for a very smooth look for that release.

I wonder why Universal didn't do a brand new 2D release for Jurassic Park, the 3D edition isn't to my liking but they could have taken the opportunity to make a new 2D release which improves on the original release.
I never recall Fox saying the UHE was Director Approved - any source for that? The Director was in jail as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks