Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Fly (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 of 49 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 25 2013 - 04:02 AM

Curse was TERRIBLE , dull and lethargic...I enjoyed Return of the Fly way better - it worked for me anyway...

I'm with a few others here in thinking that Curse is a very good & effective little film (apart from having er...no fly in it!), nice looking DVD. I can't remember anything about Return. A box of the three of them would have been nice. And I don't know why Fox doesn't use the original film poster art for this release. For 50's movies I don't think you can go wrong using the film poster on the Blu-ray box.

#42 of 49 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 27 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'm not noticing directional dialog..Beautiful picture, though.

#43 of 49 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 08:45 PM

In the commentary, David Hedison said the script for The Return of the Fly was bad and he never would have done it had it been offered to him. Spies and horror do not mix. Plus the fly head looks like a cheap mardi gras mask that looks like it's ready to fall off at any minute. All together, a very bad film.

#44 of 49 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,621 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 28 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just got an email from Amazon saying the blu will be released on September 10th.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#45 of 49 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,621 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 28 2013 - 05:24 PM

In the commentary, David Hedison said the script for The Return of the Fly was bad and he never would have done it had it been offered to him. Spies and horror do not mix. Plus the fly head looks like a cheap mardi gras mask that looks like it's ready to fall off at any minute. All together, a very bad film.

This makes me wonder how Hedison could have done a sequel since he was thoroughly dead twice in The Fly.  I know, I know, the magic of Hollywood script writing.  :)

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#46 of 49 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 28 2013 - 06:03 PM

"Return of the Fly" is the story of Hedison's now-grown son (played by child actor Charles Herbert in the original film).  Unless he was initially thought of to play the grown son - which would have confused audiences, I'm sure.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#47 of 49 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA

Posted July 28 2013 - 08:13 PM

I read where the BD of "The Blob wasn't worth a double dip because of the great work Criterion did on the DVD. Could anyone that owns the DVD (upscaled to 1080i) compare it to the BD thru a PJ onto a large screen?

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My HT equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#48 of 49 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted July 28 2013 - 08:51 PM

I read where the BD of "The Blob wasn't worth a double dip because of the great work Criterion did on the DVD. Could anyone that owns the DVD (upscaled to 1080i) compare it to the BD thru a PJ onto a large screen?

I don 't have the DVD, but The Blob BD looks quite nice on my 106" screen.

#49 of 49 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 01:18 PM

What Hedison said was that the script was so bad that if it had been offered to him, he would have turned it down. Clearly Hedison did not think much of Return of the Fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users