Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Searching for a new tv. Input welcomed

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   brendend

brendend

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted July 17 2013 - 07:40 PM

Finally got the wife onboard with replacing our tv. 50" Toshiba lcd. We're looking to upgrade to 60-65". Dont care if its 3d or not. Just needs to be a slim smart tv. Kids at the local best buy aren't exactly helpful and I refuse to do business with hhgreg after our washer fiasco.
Lookinh to keep it between 1000-1200ish. Thanks for the help

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted July 18 2013 - 04:35 AM

Congrats, the wife is always the hard part. Remember smart features can easily be accomplished by a cheap blu ray player if you are finding a TV with good performance but lacking smart features (which is possible in your price range). Also take a look at previous model years for better prices.

Id start doing some reading. The Katz has compiled a list of the more current models but if you price around you may find better prices than listed. Im partial to Panasonic, obviously, but take a look:

http://reviews.cnet....ches-and-above/
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 18 2013 - 04:51 AM

After doing a lot of research online and consulting with friends whose opinions I trust, I went with the Panasonic ST60 plasma (55", but all sizes are identically reviewed) and couldn't be happier with my purchase.  All reviews say it's the best TV by far in the price range you've set for yourself.

http://reviews.cnet....7-35566952.html

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 07:34 AM

I'll ditto the plasma recommendation, unless you have lighting issues. LCD has closed the gap, but plasma still has better black levels, color rendition and is less subject to motion artifacts than LCD.. And with comparable feature sets and quality, plasma is generally less expensive on a per inch basis than LED-LCD.

I have a Samsung, which I consider 2nd to Panasonic for absolute picture quality, but it's fairly small difference, IMO. The most noticeable difference is price;  Samsung can be considerably less expensive for the same size and comparable features.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users