What's new

What is your favorite Ice Cream and how much can you eat in a sitting? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We are having quite a heatwave here in the Northeast. Been stocking
up on Ice cream, particularly for the fact that my favorite Supermarket
brand is on sale this week (2 for $5). I bought 4 cartons since my brand
rarely goes on sale, and is available only at one particular Supermarket
in the area....

Premium_Ice_Cream_Super_Chunky_Cookie_Dough.s2v5.jpg

Blue Bunny

Discovered this brand two years ago. As far as anything available in
the Supermaket, I feel this is the best of the bunch. Blue Bunny states
that their product is real ice cream, whereas many other companies
(such as Nestle and Dreyers) are cutting back on ingredients that make
their product frozen dairy desserts.

Only one Supermarket (A&P) carries the brand in my area, so when it
goes on sale (which is not often), I stock up. My favorite flavor? Bunny
Tracks and Super Chunky Cookie Dough.

I am at complete mercy when it comes to eating ice cream. I can usually
put away an entire half gallon container in a sitting if I want. Thankfully, I
do about a half container a day.

Runner Up Favorite...

icecreamcake1.jpg

Carvel Ice Cream Cake

Simply put, this is the freshest tasting Ice Cream there is. Combine it
with those little crunchies and whipped cream topping and you have an
Ice Cream cake that can't be passed up.

Surprisingly, I never had a taste for Breyer's Ice Cream. I know it's
all-natural, but I suppose there's just something missing in flavor and
texture that perhaps those chemical additives make better.

Interesting to know what kind of ice cream you guys like and how much
you tend to eat in one sitting.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What I eat right now is:

SourPops-GreenApple_snackl.png

Blue Bell Sour Green Apple Pop. I tend to eat two a day.

When I go to Baskin-Robbins, I like Quarterback Crunch and Daiquiri Ice (now that they've brought back the original taste). I get one scoop in a cup. Sometimes, I get one scoop of each in a cup. They don't really mix together at all, but I don't care.

I don't eat that much traditional ice cream. Every few years, I'll get a carton. When I do, I only eat probably the equivalent of a scoop. I usually just take a Solo cup and spoon a bunch into it and eat that. The last I remember was some kind of Braum's with caramel swirled into it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Blue Bunny rocks and the "tracks" line is my favorite also. Believe it or not tho I have gotten hooked again on Otter Pops and the like, those are good ways to cool off fast!

I also like the eclair and strawberry eclair bars that we used to get from Good Humor, now a ton of vendors make em.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I make an ice cream substitute using my Vitamix that is really good. I would imagine any good blender or food processor would work. You could also buy a Yonanas (my sister has one and says they work well)

-Get some bananas and let them get very ripe (brown spots on skin). Peel them, chop them into chunks and put them in the freezer for about 24 hours.

- Put the frozen bananas in the Vitamix (blender) with any additional flavoring you want (berries, chocolate peanut butter, etc.) I use a little vanilla and cinnamon to keep it as healthy as possible. (the Yonanas product has some limitations on what you can add)

-Also add a bit of some sort of liquid. I used unsweetened almond milk but you can use anything from water to heavy cream, just personal preference. The amount of liquid will vary with the amount of bananas so just start small and add as needed to help blending and get the thickness you want.

Once the mixing is done I eat it right away. The mixture will have the consistency of soft ice cream and it tastes fantastic. Some people will take the soft mixture and put it back in the freezer to get something like "hard" ice cream although I have never done that.

-Keith

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Local grocery store brand Creamy Creations, my fav, banana nut. Can easily eat about 1/2 of a half gallon at one sitting. Luckily for me, I only eat Ice Cream once in a great while. Runner up is Blue Bell, French Vanilla.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Extreme Moose Tracks (chocolate ice cream with thick fudge swirls and mini chocolate fudge-filled cups).

The carton is usually gone within a week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I usually buy reduced sugar or sugar-free varieties. I like Blue Bunny, and they make some good sugar free flavors (I've tried Bunny Tracks, Mint Choc Chip, and Cherry Vanilla...all good). I also like some Edy's sugar free varieties. I have a carton of Mint Chip going right now, and finished a container of Triple Chocolate last week.

Back in the day, I loved any number of Ben & Jerry's flavors: Half Baked, Cherry Garcia, Fudge Brownie, Choc Chip Cookie Dough. It kills me that the supermarkets around here have been running sales on B&J the past couple of weeks that, when combined with a recent coupon, reduce the price to about $1 per pint (down from abour $4 each).

Starbucks Java Chip is also a long-time fave.

I also agree that Breyers, though "all natural," has never been a favorite.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Had to go look that one up. I know what Moose Tracks
are, but not who makes that particular flavor.

Looks like it's tied to Denali.

They don't serve our fine State.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Malcolm,

Love Ben & Jerry's. Always go for them when I am
in "snack" rather than "devour" mode.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Nine times out of ten, regardless of the purveyor, I'll get THE ice cream: good old plain vanilla.

It's not that I don't like other flavors, it's just that I love vanilla that much -- for ice cream, shakes, sodas, etc. In addition, I've always subscribed to the (probably half-assed) theory that vanilla shows the quality, or lack of quality, of the ice cream, and other additives make that all too easy to disguise.

I don't even eat ice cream all that often these days, though when I think of all the other junk that crosses my lips, I might as well be stuffing myself on it. But when I do eat it, I go for the "real" thing -- made with cream, sugar, etc. For years, Haagen-Dasz was a favorite, but there's too much competition out there now for me to justify that expensive habit. Oh -- I can make a killer vanilla ice cream in the little Krups maker I bought for $2 (never been used) at somebody's garage sale. I should take that out of the cabinet.

In spite of my love for the real stuff, I do very much like the occasional soft serve -- and boy, there's a lot of difference in quality among those, too. (One convenient standby that's decent is, believe it or not, McDonald's.)

But my real ice cream eating days were back when Howard Johnson's ice cream was still available. THAT was the stuff.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, Charles, I remember HoJo Ice Cream. Good Stuff.
...and I am like you. I am a vanilla guy. I'd be happy with plain
vanilla any day -- especially soft serve -- but the influx of chunks
of candy, peanut butter cups and cookie dough offerings over the
years has escalated my tastes.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I don't eat ice cream anymore for the most part, but when I did, I was always a fan of the Edy's Slow-Churned stuff. Even though it was considered "light" ice cream, I always thought it tasted better and creamier than most brands. Certainly better than something like the icy tasting Breyers (never understood how people liked that stuff).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Agree about Breyer's. However "correct" the ingredients are, the stuff has always managed to have a cheap or artificial taste.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ronald Epstein said:
Todd,

Had to go look that one up. I know what Moose Tracks
are, but not who makes that particular flavor.

Looks like it's tied to Denali.

They don't serve our fine State.
Denali licenses their flavors to many of the supermarket chains, who sell the ice cream under their own brand. I've found this flavor at just about every chain here in SoCal.

At Vons/Safeway/Pavillions, it's sold under the JerseyMaid brand.
At Ralphs, it's sold under thier Private Selection label.
Alberstons sells it under their own name brand.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One flavor I really miss is Starbucks Mud Pie (coffee ice cream with chocolate swirl and Oreo bits). It was discontinued around the same time that Dreyers (who was making Starbucks ice cream at the time) was sold to Nestle, and Nestle was forced by the FTC to sell their Starbucks license agreement to the makers of Eskimo Pies.

Starbucks ice cream has never been the same since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks