Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: The Uninvited (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 of 87 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:26 AM

It has been many years since I last saw TU, but is there anything remotely like that image in the movie?  The cover is certainly striking, but I don't know that it quite fits the film contained in the box.

It's from this shot, I believe...

uninvited_17.jpg

#22 of 87 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:45 AM

"The Uninvited" is one of my must-watch films any time it plays on TCM, this despite having my own DVD-R of the first showing I saw several years ago.  I recently bought a DVD from amazon.co.uk which is from a much better print than TCM's and has some interesting features including an art/still gallery.

Stil...a resotration for Blu-ray sounds awfully good to me!!!

Edited by Virgoan, July 16 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#23 of 87 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:50 AM

I was hoping for at least an interview or commentary with either Martin Scorsese or Guillermo Del Toro - both of whom have praised the film highly - and an isolated score track that showcases Victor Young's lovely music. But I guess beggars can't be choosers, though.

I wholly agree with the notion of an isolated score track.  Also, posters, stills, lobby cards...all that would enhance the extras.  Commentaries are a mixed bag for me.  Somenone very knowledgeable about the making of the film would be very welcome.  Another "interview" opportunity for Scorsese to speak about a favorite doesn't much interest me.  Ditto Del Toro.  Their appreciation for these films is no greater than my own.  Would rather hear from "experts".

Edited by Virgoan, July 16 2013 - 09:50 AM.

• Robin9 likes this

#24 of 87 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 10:10 AM

I wholly agree with the notion of an isolated score track.  Also, posters, stills, lobby cards...all that would enhance the extras.  Commentaries are a mixed bag for me.  Somenone very knowledgeable about the making of the film would be very welcome.  Another "interview" opportunity for Scorsese to speak about a favorite doesn't much interest me.  Ditto Del Toro.  Their appreciation for these films is no greater than my own.  Would rather hear from "experts".

Yeah, I'd love to see some kind of scholarly commentary on it. Gregory Mank did some terrific commentary work on Warners' Val Lewton set back in the day and also on Island of Lost Souls, and I would love to a track from him on it. Regardless, happy to have the title available in blu.

#25 of 87 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 10:32 AM

Universal certainly has a music and effects track for this, and it would cost very little to add it.

For those who have not seen this film   the story is very adult for the time, couched in language to get past the censors. 

Wonder if you all can figure it out?

#26 of 87 OFFLINE   Steven_M Grimes

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 11:50 AM

I believe there are a couple of radio versions of this with at least Ray Milland.  They would be a nice extra.  I personally would like a scholarly commentary.

#27 of 87 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,261 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 12:13 PM

Historian commentary (other than one by Richard Schickel) would have helped. Trailer. Something. As is, I'll wait for the next B&N sale. Last year they had a second one in late fall. I agree with a previous poster that bare-bones Criterion Blu's in the past have sometimes been $29.99. This should be one of them.

#28 of 87 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2013 - 12:15 PM

Historian commentary (other than one by Richard Schickel) would have helped. Trailer. Something. As is, I'll wait for the next B&N sale. Last year they had a second one in late fall. I agree with a previous poster that bare-bones Criterion Blu's in the past have sometimes been $29.99. This should be one of them.

It is one of them.  The original pricing was wrong.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#29 of 87 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 322 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 16 2013 - 01:58 PM

Edited by ScottHM, July 16 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#30 of 87 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 03:45 PM

Historian commentary (other than one by Richard Schickel) would have helped.

Yes.  He'd probably explain how its just a standard Hollywoood programmer that's not worth watching.

#31 of 87 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:01 PM

It is one of them. The original pricing was wrong.

Huh?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#32 of 87 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:40 PM

Huh?

The BD is priced 29.99 now versus the earlier pricing of 39.99

• ahollis likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#33 of 87 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:40 PM

I love the inclusion of radio shows -- and the more, the merrier.  Are they still doing that these days?  This one certainly sounds like a missed opportunity.

#34 of 87 OFFLINE   Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:52 PM

The BD is priced 29.99 now versus the earlier pricing of 39.99

Actually, it's $23.96.

• ahollis likes this

#35 of 87 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:54 PM

Actually, it's $23.96.

I'm talking about MSRP.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#36 of 87 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 07:47 PM

This is most welcome news.  "The Uninvited" is one of my most wanted titles to never come to DVD and the wait has proven worth it.  It truly is, in my opinion, one of the best films of its type that Hollywood ever made.  I was an adult the first time I saw it on TCM and it truly creeped me out. 

I've never been a Criterion collector the way some are (more power to them) but I've collected a fair number of their BDs in the last few years as they've moved to more mainstream titles and have always found their stuff to be first rate.  B&N has spoiled us all with their sales.  I'll wait til November to pick this up for $15.00.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#37 of 87 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:58 PM

And, when all else fails, throw in a semi-appropriate bonus movie supplement.  Hey, It worked for The Killing and The Lady Vanishes.

How are Killer's Kiss, the previous film by The Director of The Killing and Crooks Tour using two characters from The Lady Vanishes only "semi-appropriate"? I'd consider both of those to be ideal second features.

And now that the price has been lowered I don't have issues with the release, but I would have rather had the higher price point with more extras. Criterion isn't just a studio, the whole point of Criterion editions are to add contextualizing material, commentaries, trailers, related additional features or shorts, and any number of other things.

Due to the massive precedent of not only including the artists involved in a film but when that's not possible extensive and insightful work by film scholars, there is literally no film that doesn't have some angle to approach the creation of bonus materials.

The only thing needed is will, imagination, and funds. I understand when the calculation is made that it's not worth the trouble to do something extensive, but again I can't imagine any film that you couldn't devise worthwhile bonus materials for - especially if you're Criterion.
  • Professor Echo and bujaki like this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#38 of 87 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 16 2013 - 10:24 PM

And now that the price has been lowered I don't have issues with the release, but I would have rather had the higher price point with more extras. Criterion isn't just a studio, the whole point of Criterion editions are to add contextualizing material, commentaries, trailers, related additional features or shorts, and any number of other things.

Agree.  Completely.

#39 of 87 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted July 16 2013 - 11:08 PM

Easily the best ghost film ever made.

My parents took me to see it when I was a kid and I had nightmares for weeks after.

I can still remember looking away at the really spooky bits.

Super scary and yet there are some wonderfully witty lines spread throughout.

Ray Milland's final words are classic.

uninvited.jpg

Obviously very popular from day one. ( unless they were Henry Aldrich fans )

Edited by Doug Bull, July 17 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#40 of 87 OFFLINE   Eerik Paal

Eerik Paal

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 11:38 PM

It is one of them.  The original pricing was wrong.

Or they are just greedy bastards and tried to see if they could get away with that pricing for a barebones release. Just like when they tried to push the MSRP to $50 for Blu-ray releases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users