Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Depatie-Freleng’s 1966 animated “The Super 6” DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 of 25 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,023 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 07:25 AM

I found this in a "Family Favorites" bin in a Walmart this weekend (after checking a few other Walmarts where it was absent).  Good show and my children like it.  Great opening song by Gary Lewis (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ch1T8-hDy5I).  One thing I like about cartoon shows of this vintage is how the voice actors would fall back on celebrity voice impersonations to create characters.  The voice of one of the Super 6, Super Boing, seems to be based on a young Jimmy Stewart.  The villain in one episode, who is described as "enemy of everything good and decent," sounds like James Cagney in full "you dirty rat" mode.  In Underdog, I always thought that Simon Bar Sinister was based on Lionel Barrymore, and I recall thinking that the leader of an alien planet sounded a lot like Charles Laughton (imagine Laughton saying, "We have the most delicious rocks in the universe," and you'll get where I am coming from).  $5 for the complete series on two disks -- what a deal -- I want more!

#22 of 25 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 09:01 AM

My understanding was that Fox was handling all of MGM's licensing and distribution.

At one point they were, which with Fox being Fox, it meant that absolutely nothing was being done with all of the MGM shows. Since MGM is in perpetual financial trouble, I assume that what happened was someone finally looked at the distribution deal with Fox and saw how they had no shows being licensed and no revenue coming it. Finally they must have said, screw this, we need to make some money and they decided to start doing it on their own. If Fox were still handling their shows, none of this would be happening.

#23 of 25 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,023 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 09:08 AM

Perhaps Fox has improved. If only for MGM properties and not its own:

[font="Arial, 'sans-serif';"]http://latimesblogs....ertainment.html[/font]

[font="Arial, 'sans-serif';"]http://en.wikipedia....e_Entertainment[/font]

#24 of 25 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,518 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 06:57 AM

You are probably right about this since the Fox name was on all the early MGM releases that they did but The Fox name is nowhere to be found on all these recent MGM releases from TGG and Timeless only MGM. I'm sure Fox would insisit on their name on the product as well if it was coming from them.

At one point they were, which with Fox being Fox, it meant that absolutely nothing was being done with all of the MGM shows. Since MGM is in perpetual financial trouble, I assume that what happened was someone finally looked at the distribution deal with Fox and saw how they had no shows being licensed and no revenue coming it. Finally they must have said, screw this, we need to make some money and they decided to start doing it on their own. If Fox were still handling their shows, none of this would be happening.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#25 of 25 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 11:01 AM

You are probably right about this since the Fox name was on all the early MGM releases that they did but The Fox name is nowhere to be found on all these recent MGM releases from TGG and Timeless only MGM. I'm sure Fox would insisit on their name on the product as well if it was coming from them.

Lower back cover says:

C 2013 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. Distributed by TGG Direct, LLC under license from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX, FOX and associated logos are trademarks of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and its related entities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users