What's new

Depatie-Freleng’s 1966 animated “The Super 6” DVD (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone, I don’t know how many would be interested, but a friend just mailed me a DVD of Depatie-Freleng’s 1966 animated “The Super 6 The series”, he came across it in Wal*Mart’s five dollar section, it is a pressed disc from MGM/UA and contains all twenty episodes. I never heard of this being released, it has a 2013 date on the package. The prints look great; the show is a bit dated, but I’m just pleased to own another childhood Saturday morning memory.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Oh, you can tell it's a factory box with the MGM/UA-TGG logo on it. Besides my friend is well aware that I do not collect boots.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Aaaah! how do I buy this, there isn't a Wal-Mart by me adn I can't find it online!!

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
It’s really strange about this release, Movies Unlimited, Amazon, or even TV Shows on DVD, have no mention or history on this title. Could it be this slipped under the radar before MGM/UA’s demise and is already out of print?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I had forgotten about this series entirely until your post - thanks for the heads up.
I wish I could find the disc somewhere!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I contacted them and asked how to get it, This is their reply:

Hi Tory,

SUPER 6: THE SERIES will be available on Amazon end of July-August. Check back with me next week and I will give you a more substantial date.

Best,

Michelle Weiman
The Garr Group, Inc.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
What was the total running time for the disc? I believe there were more than 20 episodes altogether.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
I was thinking its a bootleg but according to Wikipedia, TGG has released it.
Wow! I wonder if Super-President will come out next!

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
20 shows with 3 episodes each on 2 discs.Boy, I thought this show would be one of the last ones I’d see on DVD, let alone the entire series. Now, aside from a few missing Hanna-Barbera’s, Q.T. Hush, Linus the Lion Hearted, and Hoppity Hooper would complete my made for TV animation list.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm just curious as to what other MGM goodies are lurking around the corner waiting for TGG or Timeless to grab for a release. My personal wishes: The Double Life of Henry Phyfe, The Debbie Reynolds Show, Hey Landlord, Its About Time and Trials of O'Brien. Wouldn't mind seeing My Mother The Car either although I have a nice set of them from off of TV Land when they ran them uncut. Hell, not a good show but I'd even like to see The Pruits of Southhampton.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
With Fox getting stuff like this license for MGM, why oh why can't they get some of their own stuff licensed as well?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This actually doesn't involve Fox. MGM owned this show and licensed it to TGG just like Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Bat Masterson and Ripcord. MGM is also licensing alot of shows to Timeless. I don't think Fox even believes there is such a thing as a TV show from the 50's or 60's anymore.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
This actually doesn't involve Fox. MGM owned this show and licensed it to TGG just like Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Bat Masterson and Ripcord. MGM is also licensing alot of shows to Timeless. I don't think Fox even believes there is such a thing as a TV show from the 50's or 60's anymore.
My understanding was that Fox was handling all of MGM's licensing and distribution.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Even though I have no memory of this show, this is exciting news.

I picked up the Pink Panther collection (the one in the white puffy box) some years ago and later the individual DVDs of the Ant/Aardvark and the first volume of the Inspector. (Of course, they later re-released the box with these included, as well as the rest of the Inspector cartoons and I passed, figuring it was too much of a double dip.)

I note the (later) box also included Roland & Ratfink and another series, which were DePatie-Freleng productions but as far as I know, were never connected with the Pink Panther (or featured on the Pink Panther TV show as the Inspector and A/A were, not counting when TNT or Cartoon Network showed them together years later). But they never released Misterjaw or the Tijuana (Texas) Toads, which were part of the Pink Panther TV show. I think the ultimate box would include those, as well as all the various TV show openings, closings and interstitials -- I have no idea why those weren't included, although it was a nice touch for hem to include the animated title sequences from the Pink Panther movies.

Anyway, in a roundabout way, I guess I'm hoping this may be a possible venue for getting the above (as well as the rest of the forgotten shows from the DFE library) released.

One of our over the air digital subchannels was running a syndicated Pink Panther show a couple years ago, which to my surprise included a whole slew of interstitials and some (but not all) of the show openings and closings from various seasons. But the only cartoons they showed were the Panther, Inspector, Ant/Aardvark and Crazylegs Crane. I finally got Boomerang and they ran the same selection of cartoons (but no show openings, closings or interstitials). I'm told before I had the channel they had been showing Misterjaw and others, but they were gone by the time I got Boomerang. I am thinking it might not be a coincidence, maybe the cartoon selection had to match the syndicated show running at the time?

Anyway, back on topic -- this is cool news.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
I'm just curious as to what other MGM goodies are lurking around the corner waiting for TGG or Timeless to grab for a release. My personal wishes: The Double Life of Henry Phyfe, The Debbie Reynolds Show, Hey Landlord, Its About Time and Trials of O'Brien. Wouldn't mind seeing My Mother The Car either although I have a nice set of them from off of TV Land when they ran them uncut. Hell, not a good show but I'd even like to see The Pruits of Southhampton.
"My Mother The Car" is a no-brainier, they have off-the-shelf masters ready to go.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I was able to find this at a Wal*Mart in Orange, California, on Saturday.Usually, I have bad luck with these kind of adventures (looking for a hard-to-find release), and I thought the bad luck was persisting in this case, when I was unable to find the release in the first few bargain bins I poked through. In fact, I had given up, and was walking out, when I passed another bin, that contained mostly family films, which gave me some renewed hope. Indeed, the release was in that bin.Thanks again to williampl7 for the heads-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks