What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sleepless in Seattle -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It was recently mentioned in another thread, that kudos be paid to Julie Kirgo, who has been creating tiny, insidiously entertaining and insightful monographs for inclusion in the Twilight Time releases.

Since I've not a great deal to say about Nora Ephron's Sleepless in Seattle, with the exception of it being a superior entertainment, created by a team who love the cinema, I'll give you Ms Kirgo's final graph.

"Like An Affair to Remember before it, Sleepless in Seattle is a fantasy; it's not about quotidien love, it's about movie love. When Nora Ephron set out to make the film, she no doubt began by asking herself what she felt was missing from contemporary movies. Like many of us, she must have answered: romance! And then she proceeded, in shrewd but heartfelt fashion, to give us what we all wanted. The song that closes the film - rendered in gravelly yet tender fashion by the incomparable Jimmy Durante - set the challenge: "Make Someone Happy." Sleepless in Seattle does just that, in spades." - Julie Kirgo

There's little to say here about Twilight Time's Blu-ray release, as prepared by the Columbia / Sony team. Sven Nykvist's beautiful cinematography has been lovingly transferred to the digital realm. If you like it, take a look at some of his earlier black & white work, from his native Sweden.

A superb Blu-ray of an equally superb film.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
When it was announced, I couldn't believe it. When it was up for pre-order, I couldn't wait.

And now, I can't stop enjoying it! A wonderful film!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yep, always a fan. "You don't want to be in love; you want to be in love in a movie."

Reality is tossed out the window and who cares? Not me. :)

I watch this every year around Valentine's Day.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's amazing to read other boards' comments on this transfer. It is to laugh. I said it two weeks ago and I'll say it again in this thread - a wonderful transfer that replicates what this film looked like.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Mark Walker said:
Yep, always a fan. "You don't want to be in love; you want to be in love in a movie." Reality is tossed out the window and who cares? No me. :) I watch this every year around Valentine's Day.
I totally agree. I am so willing to escape into a word where this story can happen.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Thanks Robert for your continuous contribution to this site and I will definitely pick this up (for my wife). :)

If have the time, can you please do a few words for "Back To School". I am curious what you think of the transfer for that BD.

Thanks

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
So, I guess y'all are telling me it's high time I got off on my bloomin' arse and finally watched this movie?

Seriously. Never seen it. Never imagined I'd have an interest.

But when the likes of RAH and haineshisway are so all over something ... well, like Patton's troops, I guess I know what to do... :)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Charles Smith said:
So, I guess y'all are telling me it's high time I got off on my bloomin' arse and finally watched this movie?

But when the likes of RAH and haineshisway are so all over something ... well, like Patton's troops, I guess I know what to do... :)
VH-1 runs it pretty much every weekend.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:

Yes. This, Groundhog Day, and When Harry Met Sally are 3 of my favorite New Era movies that literally I can't not watch when I
run across them. While You Were Sleeping is just a notch behind, but not that far.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Why a limited Twilight release? Surely this could make more money with a regular studio release? And be more affordable for us romantically inclined plebs. Or is Twilight upping their numbers for this release?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
theonemacduff said:
Why a limited Twilight release? Surely this could make more money with a regular studio release? And be more affordable for us romantically inclined plebs. Or is Twilight upping their numbers for this release?
Why not? Sony didn't care to release it themselves and if they had they would have lost money. So, they licensed it, they make money, it's clean and done - no returns, no work, no bother, no fuss, no muss. The End.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
haineshisway said:
Why not? Sony didn't care to release it themselves and if they had they would have lost money. So, they licensed it, they make money, it's clean and done - no returns, no work, no bother, no fuss, no muss. The End.
classicmovieguy said:
I would have thought this film would have been popular enough to warrant a full retail Blu release, but there you go.
And there you go; the two sides of the story. If a studio can release French Kiss and expect to make a little coin, I doubt Sony would have lost money on SiS, unless there are complications in the rights and the financing. Business is business, sure, but as a consumer, I often feel like I'm caught in between millstones, grinding away forever. C'est la vie, heh?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So they don't think it's worth releasing this themselves, yet they're releasing Ishtar? Go figure...

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Robert Harris said:
It was recently mentioned in another thread, that kudos be paid to Julie Kirgo, who has been creating tiny, insidiously entertaining and insightful monographs for inclusion in the Twilight Time releases.
I'm glad that you mentioned Julie Kirgo's essays. I consider her booklets to be valuable extras on Twilight Time Blu-rays, and she is unfailingly insightful, informative and entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks