Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Sleepless in Seattle -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Twilight Time Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,598 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 05:36 AM

It was recently mentioned in another thread, that kudos be paid to Julie Kirgo, who has been creating tiny, insidiously entertaining and insightful monographs for inclusion in the Twilight Time releases.

Since I've not a great deal to say about Nora Ephron's Sleepless in Seattle, with the exception of it being a superior entertainment, created by a team who love the cinema, I'll give you Ms Kirgo's final graph.

"Like An Affair to Remember before it, Sleepless in Seattle is a fantasy; it's not about quotidien love, it's about movie love. When Nora Ephron set out to make the film, she no doubt began by asking herself what she felt was missing from contemporary movies. Like many of us, she must have answered: romance! And then she proceeded, in shrewd but heartfelt fashion, to give us what we all wanted. The song that closes the film - rendered in gravelly  yet tender fashion by the incomparable Jimmy Durante - set the challenge: "Make Someone Happy." Sleepless in Seattle does just that, in spades." - Julie Kirgo

There's little to say here about Twilight Time's Blu-ray release, as prepared by the Columbia / Sony team.  Sven Nykvist's beautiful cinematography has been lovingly transferred to the digital realm.  If you like it, take a look at some of his earlier black & white work, from his native Sweden.

A superb Blu-ray of an equally superb film.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 06:08 AM

Love this film and look forward to owning the Blu-ray.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 15 2013 - 11:35 AM

When it was announced, I couldn't believe it.  When it was up for pre-order, I couldn't wait.

And now, I can't stop enjoying it!  A wonderful film!

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yep, always a fan.  "You don't want to be in love; you want to be in love in a movie."

Reality is tossed out the window and who cares?  Not me.   :)

I watch this every year around Valentine's Day.  

Edited by Mark Walker, July 15 2013 - 06:08 PM.

• bryan4999 likes this

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#5 of 17 ONLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 15 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's amazing to read other boards' comments on this transfer.  It is to laugh.  I said it two weeks ago and I'll say it again in this thread - a wonderful transfer that replicates what this film looked like.

• Mark Walker likes this

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yep, always a fan.  "You don't want to be in love; you want to be in love in a movie."

Reality is tossed out the window and who cares?  No me.  :)

I watch this every year around Valentine's Day.

I totally agree. I am so willing to escape into a word where this story can happen.
  • Mark Walker likes this

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Robert for your continuous contribution to this site and I will definitely pick this up (for my wife). :)

If have the time, can you please do a few words for "Back To School". I am curious what you think of the transfer for that BD.

Thanks

Edited by John Stockton, July 15 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 15 2013 - 06:55 PM

So, I guess y'all are telling me it's high time I got off on my bloomin' arse and finally watched this movie?

Seriously.  Never seen it.  Never imagined I'd have an interest.

But when the likes of RAH and haineshisway are so all over something ... well, like Patton's troops, I guess I know what to do...     :)

Edited by Charles Smith, July 15 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted July 16 2013 - 07:00 AM

So, I guess y'all are telling me it's high time I got off on my bloomin' arse and finally watched this movie?

But when the likes of RAH and haineshisway are so all over something ... well, like Patton's troops, I guess I know what to do...     :)

VH-1 runs it pretty much every weekend.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 16 2013 - 07:18 PM

Yes.   This, Groundhog Day, and When Harry Met Sally  are 3 of my favorite New Era movies that literally I can't not watch when I

run across them.      While You Were Sleeping is just a notch behind, but not that far.

Edited by David Norman, July 16 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:08 PM

Why a limited Twilight release? Surely this could make more money with a regular studio release? And be more affordable for us romantically inclined plebs. Or is Twilight upping their numbers for this release?

#12 of 17 ONLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:12 PM

Why a limited Twilight release? Surely this could make more money with a regular studio release? And be more affordable for us romantically inclined plebs. Or is Twilight upping their numbers for this release?

Why not?  Sony didn't care to release it themselves and if they had they would have lost money.  So, they licensed it, they make money, it's clean and done - no returns, no work, no bother, no fuss, no muss.  The End.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 16 2013 - 09:20 PM

I would have thought this film would have been popular enough to warrant a full retail Blu release, but there you go.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted July 17 2013 - 07:46 AM

Why not?  Sony didn't care to release it themselves and if they had they would have lost money.  So, they licensed it, they make money, it's clean and done - no returns, no work, no bother, no fuss, no muss.  The End.

I would have thought this film would have been popular enough to warrant a full retail Blu release, but there you go.

And there you go; the two sides of the story. If a studio can release French Kiss and expect to make a little coin, I doubt Sony would have lost money on SiS, unless there are complications in the rights and the financing. Business is business, sure, but as a consumer, I often feel like I'm caught in between millstones, grinding away forever.  C'est la vie, heh?

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted July 17 2013 - 12:43 PM

So they don't think it's worth releasing this themselves, yet they're releasing Ishtar? Go figure...

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 17 2013 - 02:09 PM

So they don't think it's worth releasing this themselves, yet they're releasing Ishtar? Go figure...

What's the difference? Both are getting released.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,115 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 17 2013 - 08:08 PM

It was recently mentioned in another thread, that kudos be paid to Julie Kirgo, who has been creating tiny, insidiously entertaining and insightful monographs for inclusion in the Twilight Time releases.

I'm glad that you mentioned Julie Kirgo's essays. I consider her booklets to be valuable extras on Twilight Time Blu-rays, and she is unfailingly insightful, informative and entertaining.

Rich Gallagher

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Twilight Time, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users