Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

UPA-700 vs Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V

Best Answer schan1269 , July 15 2013 - 04:51 AM

8 is not better than 6. Just like 4 is no better.

The speakers fine. Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   thenightisdark

thenightisdark

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 14 2013 - 03:36 PM

I trying to decide if I should use a TX-NR515 or UPA-700?

The speakers I am using are :  Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, a Pioneer SP-C22 and a Pioneer SW-8MK2

At first glance, the A/V receiver right? Well, I have it and am about to return it and get the UPA-700. Tell me I am wrong or right!

Here is the history: Had a $70 5.1 computer speaker setup. The speakers died, and it is time to upgrade to some better speakers. I like the speakers, but they are still returnable too, incase 6 ohm speakers are crud for some reason I dont know yet! so, speakers aside, how do I power them?

Here is my setup: I have a computer with HDMI out*. I have a projector I use as a TV hooked up to my computer. I have the Pioneers hooked up to the TX-NR515. My computer has spdif out, 5.1 sound over 1/8th jacks in addition. This is my computer.

As far as I can tell, I am using my TX-NR515 as nothing more than a UPA-700. Why not use a much, much better amp if all I am using the TX-NR515 is as an amp?

Plus to using TX-NR515

1) HDMI to transmit audio over

And the UPA-700 would lose those plus's 

1) using 1/8th jacks to transmit over instead of HDMI

Am I right on my assumptions? Am I crazy to switch from TX-NR515 to a UPA-700?

*HDMI and S/PDIF, I have both connected. I started a few songs, and during the songs switched from optical to HDMI. Over my  TX-NR515 they both sounded nearly the same. Optical was slightly quieter, that is about it. I know on paper they are the same, but I got to test it. Sounded the same. 

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,514 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 14 2013 - 04:54 PM

If you only have 1 source, and you'll be happy using your 6 channel analog, sure.

Your computer can control the volume.

And optical=digital coax=HDMI for all audio that isn't lossless anyway. As long as your computer can change lossless to PCM, instead of bitstream, your are good for lossless audio.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   thenightisdark

thenightisdark

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 14 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thanks. Now I have the peace of mind to start with just the amp, and add the UMC-200 or other AV Preamp down the road. 

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   thenightisdark

thenightisdark

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 12:07 AM

How do the  Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, a Pioneer SP-C22 and a Pioneer SW-8MK2 compare to the others recommended here? I am a newbie, so only know 8 ohms is better than 6 ohms. The pioneers are 6 ohms.... budget is $300ish (spent just less than $300 on all 4 speakers)

› Nominal Impedance.......................................................6 Ohms

› Sensitivity (2.83 V)...............................................................85 dB
› Maximum Input Power.........................................................80 W
› Cross-Over Frequency.........................................................3 kHz
Spec Sheet (PDF)

The Bic America Adatto Dv52Si Adatto Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Black) were recommended, they are 8 ohms. They are way less, $70 and paired with BIC AMERICA DV-52CLRB 5 1/4" 2-Way Center Channel Speaker (BIC AMERICA DV52CLRB) is $130 (no sub). 

or

klipsch HD theater 300 is $400. Should I have gone with that instead? It is also NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible.

Did I get the wrong speakers?

Edited by thenightisdark, July 15 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,514 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 15 2013 - 04:51 AM   Best Answer

The speakers fine.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   thenightisdark

thenightisdark

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 11:26 AM

The speakers fine.

I found this after you answered, I wish I had found it sooner. This seems to plainly explain what ohlms is to us beginners. 

http://www.prestonel...o/Impedance.htm

I need to read it about 3 more times to really understand it, but I wanted to post it because it might help someone else. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users