Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sergio Leone Blu-ray thread

Blu-ray DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 of 51 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:03 AM

The PQ detail is astounding. However I hear the french 5.1 mix is still not in the right pitch (apparently they fixed the german pitch problem by going back to the original mono and ditching the 5.1), and I'm awaiting to get some feedback confirmation on the mono english mix being the right mix and not the fold down of the 5.1 as per the previous disc.

Edited by HDvision, May 21 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#42 of 51 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:22 AM

addition: the mono track on the new GBU remaster is, er, NOT THE ORIGINAL, it's same old downmix from the 5.1 remix...

#43 of 51 OFFLINE   Martin Zandstra

Martin Zandstra

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 02:06 AM

Weird:

I just checked my UK Blu-ray and the mono track is not a mixdown of the 5.1 and so does not have the new foley like in the beginning when van Cleef pulls the emergency stop.

And the train stopping sounds are the old ones and not the new ones.

It's the same as the mono track on the German Blu-ray.

#44 of 51 OFFLINE   AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted July 06 2014 - 01:03 AM

What movie ar you talking about? Not GBU, as

when van Cleef pulls the emergency stop..

is in FEW DOLLARS MORE. ;)

Hollywood-Icons_HTF.jpg

#45 of 51 OFFLINE   Brenty

Brenty

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted July 08 2014 - 07:25 AM

I just got back from Il Cinema Ritrovato 2014 in Bologna and saw the latest restoration of A Fistful of Dollars. Sir Christopher Frayling was there for a few days to give his usual excellent insights into Leone and spaghetti westerns in general and again I got to chat with him.

A quick aside: although there are no definitive original language soundtracks for many spaghettis, personally I prefer to view them in the native language of the principal actors. Therefore English is my favoured choice for all the post-Colossus Leones.

Fistful has now had its English soundtrack restored from a combination of several 35mm and 16mm prints and separate original music, dialogue and effects tracks. As it has had no new sounds added I consider it as authentic as any other in existence, although it is effectively a 'new' track. Naturally, given that the restorers had access to all this original material and could recreate the entire track from scratch it doesn't make sense that they would also create a new mono track just for the sake of it.

I can finally see why they sometimes considerately include a folded-down-to-mono remixed/recompiled/restored audio track for those who prefer the mono experience.

My point is that though previously frustrated at the lack of original mono tracks on BD for some of these films, the concept of such a thing becomes moot. The only way they could include a truly original (in this case, English) track is if they simply transferred an entire, worn and damaged in places, 35mm optical track to  BD. Even then, it would likely be missing some audio due to the various different international film edits.

We really do get the best of all worlds now and certainly far better than the original audiences had.

Brenton Film: the past, present and future of silent film

#46 of 51 OFFLINE   Martin Zandstra

Martin Zandstra

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 08:03 AM

What movie ar you talking about? Not GBU, as

is in FEW DOLLARS MORE. ;)

Few dollars more, I forgot to add that!

#47 of 51 OFFLINE   Martin Zandstra

Martin Zandstra

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 01:52 AM

Just received the "old" DVD of The Good, the bad and the ugly.

Bought it on eBay for about € 5,-

Anamorphic 2.35:1, original english mono and (nearly complete) international cut, what's not to like!

Yes the resolution is lower, yes there are imperfections like scratches and debris but I don't care

it gives the film an authentic look.

Sometimes companies make old movies look too good and clean in my opinion.

Now I know which version of TGTBTU I'll be watching from now on.

For the record, I also have the US 2-disc and the Dutch Blu-ray.

#48 of 51 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted July 19 2014 - 11:48 AM

That DVD is great. Warts and all. Shame this cut doesn't exist on Blu.

#49 of 51 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 700 posts
  • LocationGlendale, California

Posted July 21 2014 - 08:39 AM

Good thread, David.

What is missing from a few moments of the late 1990's DVD of TGTBTU? And why would they be missing.

#50 of 51 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted January 26 2015 - 05:40 AM

Wow, long time since this thread was updated.

I need to fix the first post. MGM silently reissued GBU with the correct mono track of the english mono instead of the fold down.

A fan have bought online a 35mm italian print of GBU, where he found extra footage not to be found anywhere on any version + includes the complete Tuco torture scene, showing it was part of the italian version.

Also I just was pointed out on FB about this exceptional document showing Sergio Leone directing the french dubbing of DYS.

Sergio Leone speaks in french in it, there's a great part where he says that after OUATITW, then Once Upon a Time... The Revolution, he will complete the trilogy with Once Upon a Time in America. This is dated probably early 1972.

https://www.facebook...8803164&fref=nf

It shows clearly what real title the master intended for this film. (Thought he does speaks about the italian title, and this part of the conversation comes out as underwhelming).

Edited by HDvision, January 26 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#51 of 51 OFFLINE   cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted January 26 2015 - 02:06 PM

I  have never been a fan of westerns   with the  exception of  films by Sergio Leone. A true master of the cinema.  THE GOOD ,THE BAD AND THE UGLY  is  ,in my opinion one of the    greatest films ever made.There is not  dull moment in this 3 hour  epic. I recently watched the  newly remastered bluray of the film and  I was  mesmerised rom start to finish. That is a rarity   in cinema. It is a pity that there are   few  film makers   capable of  attaining  Leonie's  qualities. A true master of the cinema. Now I know where Clint Eastwood got his talent from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users