What's new

GREGORY'S GIRL is coming. (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Coming later this year according to bluray.com. Now we need to get LOCAL HERO and COMFORT AND JOY.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I wonder if it'll still be dubbed for the US market.

I could never undestand the need for that. I mean it's not like it's set in Glasgow or anything!

Steve W

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Yorkshire said:
I wonder if it'll still be dubbed for the US market.

I could never undestand the need for that. I mean it's not like it's set in Glasgow or anything!
When was it dubbed? (Sure you're not thinking of Mel Gibson speaking "English" in Mad Max?)
Saw it a half-dozen times or so in the US theaters growing up, and the characters could say ANYTHING in Scottish and make it funny.

(And just finished slogging through "Gregory's Two Girls" on Netflix, with 30's John Gordon Sinclair now as a high-school teacher....But unfortunately, now that Bill Forsyth has turned morose and philosophical after "Housekeeping", Gregory now obsesses over world human-rights issues and "America's cultural domination", while one of his teenage girl students gives him saintly rational wisdom to put his life and world view together, just like Robin Williams got from his humorless teenaged Saint Sophia in "Being Human".
Ohh, Bill, Bill, what happened?? You made Local Hero, for cryin' out loud!!)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
'Gregory's Girl' is an all-time great. I couple it with 'Local Hero' ... so that should, if there's any justice, follow it to Blu ray soon. I'll check out Amazo.co.uk to see if pre-orders are up yet.
I believe 'Gregory's Girl' was dubbed for the States to make the Scottish accent more approachable ... but I'm ready and willing to be corrected just in case I'm getting it confused with 'Kes'.
'Gregory's Girl' is such a sweet movie that I'm really unwilling to watch 'Gregory's Two Girls' in case the magic goes ......

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
There's really only one moment in Gregory's Two Girls that suggests this is our hero grown up--
We find out that little sister Maddie now works for the UN; she and her boyfriend have a fluent conversation in Italian with the waiter at a restaurant, and grownup Gregory says "The only Italian I ever learned was 'Bella' and 'Bella'..."

It's funny to see that Sinclair hasn't lost his comic timing, but the whole plot makes us feel we're watching Bill Forsyth's World-Proactive Self-Incarnation, not Gregory--His being twitchy about girls is now updated to a plot where he's drafted into helping his girl student with an underground political-activist project (just like the "secret" ice-cream plot in Comfort & Joy), and the joke is that his fantasies of having an affair with one of the students is starting to look real to the headmasters when he tries to explain his way out of what he's doing. Ick.
Even the scene where a group of South American refugees try to make Gregory feel at home by signing Scottish folksongs just comes off like the country-singing Russian from Local Hero..Good thing it was Forsyth's last movie, he seems to be going into reruns, or doing a farewell reunion.

(Now, whether Warner's going to put "That Sinking Feeling" on disk...)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ejanss said:
When was it dubbed? (Sure you're not thinking of Mel Gibson speaking "English" in Mad Max?)
The original US release was dubbed with slightly less-broad Scottish accents. Not sure if they used the same actors, or someone else.

Steve W

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
AnthonyClarke said:
'Gregory's Girl' is an all-time great. I couple it with 'Local Hero' ... so that should, if there's any justice, follow it to Blu ray soon. I'll check out Amazo.co.uk to see if pre-orders are up yet.
I believe 'Gregory's Girl' was dubbed for the States to make the Scottish accent more approachable ... but I'm ready and willing to be corrected just in case I'm getting it confused with 'Kes'.
'Gregory's Girl' is such a sweet movie that I'm really unwilling to watch 'Gregory's Two Girls' in case the magic goes ......
I think it happened to Kes, too.

I'm at a loss as to why anyone can't understand the accents in Kes...but then again live and work just a few miles from where it was set and filmed, using locals as actors and extras.

:D

Steve W

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
The original US DVD had the original soundtrack as a "special feature" if I'm remembering rightly. This gives me hope for Local Hero which is the BEST.MOVIE.EVER

imho of course

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Yorkshire said:
I'm at a loss as to why anyone can't understand the accents in Kes...but then again live and work just a few miles from where it was set and filmed, using locals as actors and extras.

:D

Steve W
I'm American and I didn't have trouble with the accents in Kes with one exception: I couldn't understand anything said by the actor playing the older brother of the boy protagonist. I had to turn on the subtitles during his scenes.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Ejanss said:
(Now, whether Warner's going to put "That Sinking Feeling" on disk...)
WB only has rights to films from The Goldwyn Trust, which comprises the old '30s'-'50's classics Samuel Goldwyn himself produced (GUYS AND DOLLS, WUTHERING HEIGHTS, etc). THAT SINKING FEELING, like GREGORY'S GIRL, was released by The Samuel Goldwyn Company, whose assets are still part of MGM.As such, unless the film has reverted back to its UK-based producers (entirely possible), it would be up to MGM to do something with THAT SINKING FEELING.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Edward Heuck said:
As such, unless the film has reverted back to its UK-based producers (entirely possible), it would be up to MGM to do something with THAT SINKING FEELING.
Sinking still plays ThisTV, so I would assume it's still in good standing with MGM's Sam Goldwyn arthouse distributions. Just didn't know who owned which parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks