-

Photo
- - - - -

Proper way to shut off Gamecube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Steve_J

Steve_J

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted December 29 2001 - 04:27 PM

Could anyone tell me the proper way to turn off the Gamecube when you are done playing? Should you reset it and then just open it and take the disc out then power down? Is there a standby mode? Thanks for any help.

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted December 29 2001 - 04:43 PM

well... it has a disc brake that stops the disc from spinning when you open the cover. The proper way, according to the manual... is to open the cover, take out the disc, then turn off the power. If you turn off the power than open the top, the disc would still be spinning Posted Image

well, that is how I do it
...um, I hope you got all that... Dreamcast was the same way Posted Image

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 02:07 AM

euh what's the proper way to turn off PS2?
it's like I'm hurting the game I just have to turn the machine off to stop it?

I really don't like how PS2's power is at back of machine..why not make it a button up front?

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 02:40 AM

If you press and hold the green button on PS2 for like, 2 seconds, the light will turn red. I guess its more of a standby mode then actually powering off, but its just as good.
JQ

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 06:17 AM

These power down threads are bizzare.

Reminds me of people who had a system for shutting down their old computers. Monitor first, then disk drive, then computer, any other way will damage the machine

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 06:19 AM

...I still do that...
OH HAR!

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 07:18 AM

I certainly remember hard drive 'parking'. Posted Image

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 04:17 PM

Quote:
These power down threads are bizzare.

No kidding. Does anyone read the instructions?
I don't mean to insult anyone but if they need help turning off a simple video game console you've got to wonder how challenging the rest of life must be.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Steve_J

Steve_J

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted December 30 2001 - 05:38 PM

I am able to off my console, but I would like to do it in the best way possible to preserve my console and my games. For example, if you leave a disc in your PS2 with the power off the disc can and does get scratched. Likewise, if you turn off the PS2 every time you are done playing it shortens the life of the power supply. I'd like to learn any such precautions I should take on my Gamecube. Thanks for comments though.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted December 31 2001 - 12:23 AM

Don't bother with camp's comments, he probably thinks he can do everything in life himself and never has to ask for someone's help.

Remember camp, something you ask for help for probably seems simplistic to someone else - and they would say the exact same thing to you.

-ELmO

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted December 31 2001 - 12:55 PM

Quote:
if you leave a disc in your PS2 with the power off the disc can and does get scratched.

Eh? How is this possible?? What would be causing the disc to be scratched?

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted December 31 2001 - 07:18 PM

Disc Gnomes

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted January 01 2002 - 11:31 AM

Quote:
Don't bother with camp's comments, he probably thinks he can do everything in life himself and never has to ask for someone's help.

Remember camp, something you ask for help for probably seems simplistic to someone else - and they would say the exact same thing to you.

Wow...gosh...I think you've changed my life. Thank you. You're a saint.

Now grow the fuck up.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted January 01 2002 - 08:44 PM

Wow, you're being a hypocrite there Camp. Does anyone like you on this forum? You really don't have to reply, everyone knows the answer. Posted Image

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted January 02 2002 - 12:35 AM

Camp, there's no need for that kind of language. elMalloc, it's apreciated that any issue you wish to take up with another member is taken up in private. There is no need for your last post.

Honestly, two days into 2002 and already the Gaming Forum is seeing arguments amongts members. Cool off, everyone!

Dan (UK)

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   elMalloc

elMalloc

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted January 02 2002 - 01:42 AM

Whoever takes more damage, it's him - he 'started' it. This is the first time someone told me to take it private, but him instigating it? That's an obvious attack on his part.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted January 02 2002 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
This is the first time someone told me to take it private, but him instigating it? That's an obvious attack on his part.

That may be, but it's apreciated that if you're going to hit back you do it in private instead of doing so openly on the forum. Don't contribute to bogging down Steve's innocent thread with cries of who started what.

We're trying to make it clear in the forum rules that any form of response to a thread that offers nothing of worthy contribution or questions the overall usefulness of a question asked in a thread is forwned upon by those who moderate the HTF.

I expected more from Camp and Graeme than to have put forward such unconstructive comments when Steve's asked a simple and innocent question. That said, I have no intention to suspend Camp by any means, he is a worthy contributer to the gaming forums, and indeed the HTF in general. His response doesn't sit too kindly with me, but this thread didn't need your post of:

Quote:

A comment like that is asking for trouble. So again, and this goes for everyone, instead of having it out with another member openly in some other person's thread, do it in private. Yes, take it up with us moderators in private, just please do not further such arguments in puplic any more than called for.

Dan (UK)

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted January 02 2002 - 06:38 AM

Graeme's comment (Disc Gnomes) was a direct reply to Craig S asking "Eh? How is this possible?? What would be causing the disc to be scratched?"

And i'm curious as to how this could happen as well. I mean there's no physical touching of the disc as it's spinning so what could cause scratching?
if it could cause scratching wouldn't the disc be getting scratched as you played as well?

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted January 02 2002 - 07:49 AM

Okay, so what's the "correct" way to switch to a different game on Gamecube. Do you just open the hatch, switch the game, and hit the reset? Or do you power off, switch the game, and power on?

I've RTFM, and it does not addresss switching between games.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Mike__D

Mike__D

Supporting Actor

• 617 posts

Posted January 03 2002 - 01:31 AM

When I switch games, I open it up, switch discs, then hit reset. To power off, I usually just shut the power off and leave the game in there. It's not going to get scratched since nothing touches the disc except for a beam of light...

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow