• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted July 11 2013 - 08:21 AM

This has been addressed before, but time to resurrect the subject. It had been speculated with the release of "Into Darkness" that fans might get a Blu-ray for TMP, Robert Wise Cut. Didn't happen.

Will this version ever see the light of day on BRD?

C'mon, Paramount!!!

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 08:49 AM

All the "re-done" SFX will have to be "RE-re-done" thanks to Paramount's short-sightedness of only ponying up enough to have them realized in 480p.  Why they did not see fit to restore at high enough quality to be able to go back to negative is moronic.  But if they can upgrade the SFX for ST: TOS and TNG for at least 2K then I would assume it will happen eventually.

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,997 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 11 2013 - 09:24 AM

It depends on how much Paramount actually cares; the upgrades for the series work were done under the supervision of CBS, since they now control the series, while Paramount controls the movies. JJ Abrams ran into many headaches with merchandising for the new films, since CBS also holds the rights to the characters, which is one of many reasons why he has now moved on to Star Wars. All of this is to say, I would love a remastered TMP:DC, but unless Paramount is willing to pony up for the re-rendering costs for the special effects, it ain't gonna happen.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 11 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yep...rerendering the CGI is the single biggest technical obstacle to what we all want here...when Paramount cheaped out on the Director's Cut DVD edition in this regard, they shot themselves in the foot and made it more difficult to transition this version of "ST-TMP" into the HDTV era...it still looks decent upconverted, but all Trekkies would love to see this finally released properly as a 4k-scanned blu-ray, the 4k scanning done for archival purposes and eventual release in ultra-HD!!!

Edited by lukejosephchung, July 11 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted July 12 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hopefully, Paramount had some foresight and kept the original files for the DC effects. Wouldn't it be a rather simple matter to "re-re-render" into 1080p? Or 4K? Guess I'm just a little ignorant regarding the process.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 05:44 AM

I really would like to have the Director's Cut on blu ray. As I recall on the DC DVD Wise did not want the theatrical version released further. He considered the DC his finished version of the film.

Of course that didn't stop Paramount from issuing the theatrical on blu ray and creating the new 7.1 sound mix for it.

I'm hoping in 2016 with the 50th anniversary of Star Trek the films will be reissued on blu ray with new transfers and the other cuts.

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 05:45 AM

Hopefully, Paramount had some foresight and kept the original files for the DC effects. Wouldn't it be a rather simple matter to "re-re-render" into 1080p? Or 4K? Guess I'm just a little ignorant regarding the process.

Paramount didn't, but the artists behind the new effects certainly have.

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 07:26 AM

I believe the CG needs a fresh start anyway. Simply re-rendering the old stuff to higher resolution would still result in a outdated appearance.

Edited by Jeff Robertson, July 12 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes, and some of the actions and dialogue are "outdated," too.  I think Vger should shoot first, amirite?

• Jari K likes this

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,781 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure whether Paramount actually has the files of the CGI done for the Robert Wise cut, but they certainly have ownership of them.  I believe that Darin Dochterman and company continue to have their own work product as well, but nothing can be done with that unless Paramount sanctions it.

I still believe we'll see an eventual Blu-ray of the Wise cut of TMP but I agree that at this point it won't be any earlier than 2015 or 2016, whenever they come out with another movie.  I don't think we'll see new Blu-rays of the other movies, but they continue to have the revised cut of TMP in their pocket.

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 11:31 AM

Not sure what you are implying with the use of quotes. I'm no Lucas revisionism fan...just the opposite. I'm simply stating that the CGI work done in preparation of 2001's ST:TMP Director's Cut would not hold up well today. I'm wasn't overly thrilled with it back then, either. Some good, some not so good.

Yes, and some of the actions and dialogue are "outdated," too.  I think Vger should shoot first, amirite?

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,997 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 12 2013 - 11:38 AM

A re-render could go a long way in making the newer visuals less "dated".

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 12 2013 - 11:41 AM

Not sure what you are implying with the use of quotes. I'm no Lucas revisionism fan...just the opposite. I'm simply stating that the CGI work done in preparation of 2001's ST:TMP Director's Cut would not hold up well today. I'm wasn't overly thrilled with it back then, either. Some good, some not so good.

They said when they did the CGI they wanted it to look like effects from 1979, they did not want to make the CGI look like a modern day shot film.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted July 12 2013 - 11:55 AM

I really don't have interest in owning any version other than the Director's cut of this one. I'd probably buy all the ST films on Blu if this one was included in a set, but I'm just not that moved to own one or two of them (I'd get 4 and 6) when I know that someday there will be a proper box including this one. So Paramount, you know how to get my $ now.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#15 of 51 ONLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 12:08 PM

They said when they did the CGI they wanted it to look like effects from 1979, they did not want to make the CGI look like a modern day shot film.

Maybe, but it didn't really work - I thought the new effects stuck out like a sore thumb. There aren't really all that many shots and it could probably be done much more seamlessly now without spending a lot of money.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 12 2013 - 12:13 PM

Maybe, but it didn't really work - I thought the new effects stuck out like a sore thumb. There aren't really all that many shots and it could probably be done much more seamlessly now without spending a lot of money.

The point is if we are wanting a directors cut then those effects were approved by Robert Wise and are the directors cut, re-render but keep the same if we want the approved edition, not that i would be against something better, just saying.

Edited by FoxyMulder, July 12 2013 - 12:14 PM.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 01:02 PM

This.

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 01:59 PM

The point is if we are wanting a directors cut then those effects were approved by Robert Wise and are the directors cut, re-render but keep the same if we want the approved edition, not that i would be against something better, just saying.

I loved the new effects and I'm sure when re rendering they will look great in HD as well. I also appreciated that the effects were made to look like 1979 effects and not 2001 effects.

I thought everything on this project was handled very well, except for rendering the film's new effects for theatrical release and HD.

2016 seems logical with the 50th Trek anniversary and most likely the next Star Trek film.

I thought it was funny that Paramount went to the trouble to create a 7.1 audio mix for TMP on blu ray.

This after spending $ in 2001 to finally finish the mix for TMP's Director's Cut using the elements that were created for the film in 1979, but not used due to time constraints on release of the film.

It is crazy that there was zero post production on TMP when it was released in 1979. That in itself is reason enough to justify the Director's Cut of TMP.

Edited by Osato, July 12 2013 - 02:10 PM.

• Tino and Moe Dickstein like this

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,288 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 12 2013 - 08:32 PM

Exactly. And I think they succeeded brilliantly. The new effects blended seamlessly with the old. Have both versions on the same disc via seamless branching.
  • Rodney likes this
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted July 14 2013 - 06:43 AM

Exactly. And I think they succeeded brilliantly. The new effects blended seamlessly with the old. Have both versions on the same disc via seamless branching.

+1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users