Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

PHE Press Release: Star Trek Into Darkness (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 of 91 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 11:21 PM

Is there any direct confirmation yet on the German release having shifting aspect ratios?

#82 of 91 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,555 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 14 2013 - 12:11 AM

The studio can say they're sorry all they want, but if the discs sell well, there will be more of this crap. They'll only be sorry if they lose sales. I was just given an amazon gift card that would cover the 3D edition. I will not be buying any of these customer gouging discs.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#83 of 91 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,706 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 03:28 AM

As much as I enjoyed the film, and adore BC specifically since Sherlock started, the mishandling of this Blu-ray has prevented me from buying this release.

The release date has come and gone and my resolve has not been shaken.

It is the first Trek film that I do not plan to own until the studio releases a version where I can watch it with the commentary track and not have needed an internet connection to do so at any point along the way.  

I will also do my best to avoid giving Paramount another nickel until they resolve this.

The studio can say they're sorry all they want, but if the discs sell well, there will be more of this crap. They'll only be sorry if they lose sales.I was just given an amazon gift card that would cover the 3D edition. I will not be buying any of these customer gouging discs.

Edited by Mark Walker, September 14 2013 - 03:47 AM.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#84 of 91 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,218 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 14 2013 - 04:34 AM

Bill Hunt posted this today on his FB page and I thought I would share it here.  Forbes just chimed in on the manner in which this release was handled and they are none too kind to Paramount for this shafting of Trek fans.

http://www.forbes.co...ishes-the-fans/

Bill also mentioned that he thinks the studio now has gotten the message. In a follow up comment

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(78,86,101);background-color:rgb(250,251,251);]"...without betraying off the record discussions, I think it might be reasonable to say that the studio realizes it may have miscalculated. What might be done about it remains to be seen and anything that might be done will probably take a while given all the contractual windows to the exclusive content that have to expire. So I have to leave it there for the time being. Just know the message was heard..."[/color][/font]

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I think "what might be done about it" will be to simply re-release and resell the movie with all the features in one place rather than making it right by giving a disc with all the features on it to the people who have already bought a copy or copies of the movie.

The only good thing about this is that Paramount came out of it looking like real a-holes. It's one thing when Trek fans are griping on a message board but they don't want Forbes talking about them.

#85 of 91 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,270 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 07:26 AM

Short promo featurettes and even those are spread to some silly retail "exclusives"? Oh boy, is this the future of the big mainstream releases?

#86 of 91 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 04:45 PM

As much as I enjoyed the film, and adore BC specifically since Sherlock started, the mishandling of this Blu-ray has prevented me from buying this release.

The release date has come and gone and my resolve has not been shaken.

It is the first Trek film that I do not plan to own until the studio releases a version where I can watch it with the commentary track and not have needed an internet connection to do so at any point along the way.  

I will also do my best to avoid giving Paramount another nickel until they resolve this.

agreed.

#87 of 91 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted September 15 2013 - 12:05 PM

I was in Target and noticed that the Target blu ray version is $5 more than the standard blu ray release version.

The title is off ad this week.

Regular blu ray version price is $29.99, Target blu ray version is $34,99.

I didn't look at the 3D version pricing.

#88 of 91 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,001 posts

Posted September 15 2013 - 01:55 PM

I went to Target to get the exclusive, but they were sold out.  I should have been there Tuesday morning to pick up a copy so it is my own fault. 

I did pick up a copy on Blu-Ray because I love the film, and while it looks and sounds great I think the features on disc are poor.  No trailer(s), and of course no commentary.

To ease the confusion of fans, and average consumers, maybe Paramount can from this point on release two different copies that will be readily available in every store imaginable, from Amazon to Wal-Mart.  A standard Blu-Ray release  with nothing but the film, and a premium package(priced accordingly to the size of the set) containing a special designed case(steelbook) every special feature available for that release, and every type of disc they are pushing like 3-D, digital copy, dvd.

I would happily pay $50 for a movie I love with all the bells and whistles.  What I won't do is buy 3 different copies of the same film for every available feature.

Edited by Bryan^H, September 15 2013 - 01:56 PM.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#89 of 91 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,218 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 15 2013 - 02:15 PM

For what it's worth, I was in Best Buy today and they had seemed to still have a large number of their exclusive.

#90 of 91 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,231 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 05:40 AM

I watched this last night, first time since seeing it the theater in May. Back then, I enjoyed the movie, with some reservations, but seeing it again, I was not impressed. The movie falls into too many cliches (setting up Pike as Kirk's mentor, then killing him to motivate Kirk was the first of many in the movie), and I cannot stomach the destruction at the end of the film - way over the top. Also, I think Cumberbatch got Khan wrong. His characterization is so different from the old Khan as to be a different character -- which would have been fine, if he was a different character! I'm afraid the Star Trek movies have become another exercise in creating more or less generic action movies with a brand name. Lindelof says as much in the article in which he defended the creative choices made in the film. 

http://www.grantland...r-trek-darkness

And in this interview, Lindelof makes it sound like the production had no choice but to go to the places they did in the film:

http://www.vulture.c...eenwriting.html

As Livia Soprano might say, "Oh, poor you."

#91 of 91 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,555 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 29 2013 - 10:13 AM

I would happily pay $50 for a movie I love with all the bells and whistles.  What I won't do is buy 3 different copies of the same film for every available feature.

I don't happily pay $50 for any single movie.  Never done it, never will.  I hate paying $30 for a movie and seldom do.  I think the regular, non-exclusive edition of ST 3D  hit $20 briefly.  Considering how the customer is being jerked around on this release, I passed on it.  I might consider paying $15 for it, but I'm still pissed off about this release, so maybe not.

I didn't like the movie as much as I wanted to in the theater, so I'm in no rush.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users