Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

PHE Press Release: Star Trek Into Darkness (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 of 91 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,599 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 07:47 PM

Head up that Bad Robot may have something to do with how the bonus content was mishandled on this release:

http://trekmovie.com...bonus-features/

I know it's true because I read it on the internet.  ;)  Kidding aside, I am just looking for answers, but will take any data where I don't know the sources reputation (Bill Hunt is above reproach.), with a measure of caution.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#42 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,805 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 01 2013 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for that link, Mark!

I can't imagine the VAM was delivered too late to be included on all the discs.  If that WAS the case, for the sake of argument, it means Bad Robot has the worst scheduling known to man.  This press release came out almost 2 months ago.  The movie was in production for, what, 18 months?  And the theatrical release date was four months ago. 

If this is all Bad Robot's fault, someone there needs to step up, admit it and take the heat off of Paramount.  We've been directing our anger at Paramount when it should have gone to Bad Robot under this scenario.

I'm more apt to think BB, iTunes and Target all paid for the VAM on their releases.  Paramount did it back in the day when the original TNG/DS9 sets came out and they did it recently with Enterprise on BD.  Which is kind of weird on BB's side since they can't drop packaged media quick enough in store...

• Mark Walker likes this

#43 of 91 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 11:01 AM

Another review of the disc..

http://www.dvdbeaver...ess_blu-ray.htm

#44 of 91 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,599 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for that link, Mark!

I can't imagine the VAM was delivered too late to be included on all the discs.  If that WAS the case, for the sake of argument, it means Bad Robot has the worst scheduling known to man.  This press release came out almost 2 months ago.  The movie was in production for, what, 18 months?  And the theatrical release date was four months ago. 

If this is all Bad Robot's fault, someone there needs to step up, admit it and take the heat off of Paramount.  We've been directing our anger at Paramount when it should have gone to Bad Robot under this scenario.

I'm more apt to think BB, iTunes and Target all paid for the VAM on their releases.  Paramount did it back in the day when the original TNG/DS9 sets came out and they did it recently with Enterprise on BD.  Which is kind of weird on BB's side since they can't drop packaged media quick enough in store...

Thanks for the added BD background information.

I enjoy the ST films, but readily admit I am in the dark about any bonus content shenanigans regarding any of the ST TV series on BD.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#45 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,805 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:08 PM

I enjoy the ST films, but readily admit I am in the dark about any bonus content shenanigans regarding any of the ST TV series on BD.

The Best Buy releases of TNG and DS9 had various exclusive discs: the ST Encyclopedia, various featurettes, audio books, etc. 

The Enterprise S1 BD set at BB had some find of featurette...I didn't bother with it, honestly.

#46 of 91 OFFLINE   Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 02:48 PM

Paramount did it back in the day when the original TNG/DS9 sets came out and they did it recently with Enterprise on BD.

Minor correction. The Enterprise BD are not released by Paramount, but by CBS. The two companies split in 2006 and are pretty much on their own. Ever notice how none of the current Star Trek TV series BluRays have previews for Star Trek Into Darkness?

Also, I cancelled my QMx Phaser Gift Set after hearing this news. 

#47 of 91 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would have liked to have this movie on blu, but after reading the digital bits article linked to here, I immediately canceled my Amazon order.  It's too bad the process didn't give me a chance to explain the reason for the cancellation, otherwise I'd still be writing on Amazon instead of here.

This is a good example of how little respect the studios hold for the customer.  It's "you should be grateful we let you buy it all" attitude.  This is gouging.  My attitude is "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Any body got a link to write to Paramount?

• Mark Walker likes this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#48 of 91 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 02 2013 - 05:11 PM

While I'm not thrilled with these events, I can't wait to get the blu next Tuesday and can't imagine NOT getting it because of extras, or lack thereof.

The film is what's most important to me. And the lack of IMAX scenes isn't that big a deal since the film was composed for 2.35:1 , was released in all non imax theaters that way, and is being released as such.

I'll double dip when the all Inclusive edition comes out. Until then, I'll be more than satisfied with this release.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#49 of 91 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 02 2013 - 07:39 PM

If the commentary had been included with the blu ray, I might have gone along.  Paramount just scattered all the extras and it just pissed me off.  I'll wait for a big price drop and if that doesn't happen, I'll live.

• Mark Walker likes this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#50 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,805 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 03 2013 - 05:52 AM

Minor correction. The Enterprise BD are not released by Paramount, but by CBS.

Totally.  I wasn't even thinking when I wrote it.  Thank Ted!

#51 of 91 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,461 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 06:40 AM

http://trekcore.com/...rt-i-video-vam/

Mark's link above has a nice link to Trekcore which has a very nice breakdown of the different VAM's from Target and Best Buy. However, it wasn't clear if the digital code for the iTunes downloads will give you the audio commentary and other extras there. One guy posts that the codes do, the article isn't so clear cut about that.
  • Mark Walker likes this

#52 of 91 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,862 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 03 2013 - 08:38 AM

Some of you are making a compelling argument and I'm in the process of determining how badly I need this release.  I might choose to cancel my preorder and try to pick it up during the Holiday specials at a lower price.  It's not a title I was planning to watch right away.

• Mark Walker and Osato like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#53 of 91 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 403 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 03 2013 - 12:15 PM

Enhanced commentary I-Tunes digital code is region locked to US only I-Tunes store everyone else is denied access to it!

#54 of 91 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 05:58 PM

Some of you are making a compelling argument and I'm in the process of determining how badly I need this release.  I might choose to cancel my preorder and try to pick it up during the Holiday specials at a lower price.  It's not a title I was planning to watch right away.

+1. I'm disappointed with how the extras are handled, but would still like to get the film on blu ray. I'm not in a hurry though.

It can wait and I will pick it up for a lower price or put it on the Christmas list.

Edited by Osato, September 03 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#55 of 91 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,461 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 05:39 AM

Trekcore has confirmed for the US and UK release of the ID release that the iTunes download will include the commentary at no additional cost. But as has been described, it's not your regular audio commentary. They suggest that other regions such as Canada should also have this ability, but has not confirmed that since its not released yet. Here's the link to the article:

http://trekcore.com/...ced-commentary/

#56 of 91 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:29 AM

Looks like I'll be doing 3D PPV.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#57 of 91 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:35 AM

Do any of the releases have deleted scenes. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#58 of 91 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted links to reviews and details about the various exclusives.

Wow; this is all pretty silly. It's not that I feel "entitled" to anything, and studios are of course in the business of making money, but I don't think confusing and annoying your customers is the best way to go about it.

I didn't even like this movie that much, but I was thinking about getting it just to complete my Trek film collection. However, Paramount (and/or Bad Robot or whoever is behind the release strategy) seem to be working hard to convince me not to.

Maybe they really are actively trying to kill off physical media, after all.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#59 of 91 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted September 04 2013 - 03:18 PM

Maybe they really are actively trying to kill off physical media, after all.

That thought crossed my mind, but I kind of doubt it. Physical media is still too large a revenue stream to "kill." However, the download exclusives weeks before physical media doesn't help the situation. The whole "split" of VAM on STID was, IMO, just a bungled marketing job, nothing more or less. 

Worst case if physical media started to die off years from now, I'd simply have to start making my own physical copies of everything I purchase. It'd be a hassle, but I'd do it.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#60 of 91 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 09:05 AM

I doubt Bad Robot is to blame.  I have a friend who is a big G.I Joe  fanatic.  He recently bought two copies of G.I. Joe Retaliation(Paramount) on Blu-Ray to get all the special features.  This seems to be a new, and sickening trend.  If an average consumer buys a copy, fine.  If a true fan of a certain franchise buys two copies for completion sake, great.  It is just a win/win for the studio.

I cancelled my pre-order of STID until I can weigh all my options, and figure which is best to own.  No way I'm getting into the two copy scenario...and I'm a completest nut!

Edited by Bryan^H, September 05 2013 - 09:07 AM.

• Mark Walker likes this

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users