-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Problem with Cheap 4K UHD TVs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 PaulGo

PaulGo

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 10 2013 - 01:14 PM

The Problem with Cheap 4K UHD TVs

Tier-one TV makers on who wins and who loses in new TV market

Dealerscope recently talked to the top executives from some of the major TV vendors about how they’re dealing with the most pressing trends in the industry. One trend they’re now facing is the arrival of inexpensive 4K UHD TVs from third- and second-tier manufacturers. We asked them if that poses a threat to their brands and whether the low prices will commoditize the product and cheapen consumer perception of the new technology.

Full article at:

http://www.dealersco...-new-tv-market/

#2 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,311 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 10 2013 - 02:27 PM

These things are already commoditized. When I bought my 48" Mits projection TV back in '02(I think), I made sure it had DVI.

I walked out with the TV(delivery), an LCD/DVD portable Toshiba, a Monster(was basically given to me) power block/surge and a 5yr on the TV for $2400.

What does "that" cost now? My $2400 was a screaming deal then. Now you can get it all for $1000.

Really?

Commoditized? 

#3 of 5 PaulGo

PaulGo

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 10 2013 - 03:35 PM

The problem is if consumer buys a cheap 4K TVs they will probably be disappointed with the results and 4K will get a bad rap.  After a few years the differences in 4K sets will probably become minor but for now the saying goes you get what you pay for.

#4 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,311 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 10 2013 - 04:06 PM

We already have that in crappy LCD under $400(Target had a 42" LCD for $399 over the weekend).

Joe Consumer that doesn't care about quality isn't going to care about 4K...until there is a 4K PS4 game.

Going back to another thread about DuPont printed board OLED. If they reach their longevity goals...which is the current holdup...

They can produce printed board in any size you wish, any aspect ratio you wish for pennies per square inch. It was reported in 2011 that DuPont's longterm goal is to get the cost under 50* cents per square inch. While being made in the country it is being sold in. 

Meaning US market will be made here and exported to Canada/Mexico, South Africa for Australia and that part of the world, somewhere in Europe and one of the far east countries there. If DuPont gets it right...there will be no more "across the pond" sales of displays.

*That would make a 110" printed board cost under $2600...eventually.

#5 of 5 PaulGo

PaulGo

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 10 2013 - 06:34 PM

I also question the need for 4K TVs right now.  I have viewed the Sony 4K display at Best Buy and while I find the picture quality to be excellent, at normal viewing distances the additional resolution is lost.   Eventually as prices drop for quality 4K TVs it might make sense.  One feature the Sony TV has is passive 3D at 2K resolution which might make 3D TV a more attractive option.  4K games will not happen on the PS4, the PS4 is only set up for 4K movies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users