What's new

Charade - 50th Anniversary Edition - Universal 2013 Blu ray release (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I was just curious if there is any reviews or more information about the new Universal Charade blu ray release and the transfer.

http://www.amazon.com/Charade-Anniversary-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00COHGPNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373482374&sr=8-1&keywords=charade+blu+ray

Universal will not be able to use the Criterion transfer?

I have the Criterion blu ray release and have been very impressed with it.

Great film too. I held out buying it until it was released on Criterion DVD and then upgraded to the blu ray when it was released by Criterion.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'll be very interested to read informed reviews of this Universal disc. Universal have - I assume - the OCN which puts them in a strong position. On the other hand Universal have disgraced themselves in the past by clumsy and insensitive use of DNR. So, what will they create with Charade: a classic BRD or a travesty? Universal: we're watching you closely - and there will be no hiding place.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm closely monitoring for reviews of this release. Will probably get this if it turns out to be region-free because A) the Criterion disc is A-locked, and B) the UK edition from Park Circus appears to no longer be available.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I have the UK Park Circus release of Charade, and it looks great; no complaints from me. I hear the Criterion release is pretty much the same as the Park Circus one. So one can only assume that the official Universal release in the US will be no less of a transfer, and thus should be excellent.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I am happy with my Criterion release edition, i doubt Universal will improve on that, if anything they will apply some noise reduction and sharpening and make the image less detailed and worse. ( standard Universal practice for many catalog releases )

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I personally think, given the transfer already looks good, that Universal will do nothing, as that is the least-cost least-effort approach. In this case, it's also the best approach.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For those who don't want to pay the premium for a CC, it's a good thing. Even though I've got the CC, I'm glad they're doing this.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I only buy Criterion when there is no cheaper alternative. Meaning I will buy this from Universal and On the Waterfront from Sony.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On the Waterfront is available from Sony in Italy.

And because I can't think of anywhere else to mention this, Sabrina ( Audrey Hepburn version) is region free and available in Italy and Germany among other places outside the US. I just bought the German version and it looks great to me but I am no expert .

I saw the new Charade release at Costco for $12.99. a little cheaper than Amazon. I wasn't sure if it was a repackage of a previous release or if it was new. I don't remember it mentioning it as a 50th Anniversary Release. The extras were concerned with Universal's 100th Anniversary which made me think it was just a repackage for their decades promotion.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If I am sent this Blu, then I'll compare it to the Criterion which I already have. But I haven't seen a review copy come this way.

I'm not sure that I go so far as to refer to any company as "disgracing themselves", but I agree that we should continue to keep an eye open for good quality releases. Universal had a very good year in 2012, all told. There were missteps, but there were also many really beautiful Blus to be found. We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I might it get after I found if this release will have some special features or not, Charade usually only gets the trailer and thats all, I'm sure that Universal or Criterion could put together a featurette or documentary on the making of this film. and behind the sceens photos and footage.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
So, any news? Has ANYBODY seen this yet? I keep looking for reviews and I'm finding zilch (which is odd a full week after the release date)

I'd love to know what this looks like. Anyone?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just picked it up at Best Buy for $7.99 with the upgrade and save coupon. Don't think I have ever seen it so I am looking forward to screening it soon.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Tino said:
Just picked it up at Best Buy for $7.99 with the upgrade and save coupon. Don't think I have ever seen it so I am looking forward to screening it soon.
Please tell us what you think of it. Several of us are really interested.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yikes the pressure. ;)Will try to watch in the next day or two and report back here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks