• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Linear_BL

Linear_BL

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 06:33 AM

Hello,

It has been rather difficult to find a clear cut opinion on Sherwood as a brand for surround receivers. I am interested in building a moderate 7.1 system and have been eyeing the Sherwood RD-7505. It looks good on paper.. my concern is that there are no reviews on Parts-Express, and I can only find opinions on Amazon (and I am not too confident in the Amazon.com consumer-base for accurate reviews).

Does anyone have any experience/input regarding the particular unit or Sherwood brand-name?

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=252-214

Thanks,

Kevin 

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,026 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 10 2013 - 07:05 AM

Sherwood's parent company makes pretty much everybody else's <$800 AVR.

Sherwood as a brand(except certain Newcastle) is a lowball enterprise. If you note the power output is quoted as 6ohm in stereo...then they claim 1kz with 1% distortion. If you aren't looking to "rock the house"...then the price is decent.

Yesterday there was a woot deal on the Onkyo 560 for $400. The Onkyo 460 is less money and does more.

• Linear_BL likes this

#3 of 4 gene c

gene c

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 10 2013 - 02:26 PM

I would take Sherwood over Pyle and the ebay fodder (Theater Solutions, Theater research, etc) but that's about it. A toss-up with Sony and Insignia. I'd stick to the basics like Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, H/K, Marantz.

Refurbs from Ac4l.com is where we recommend those on a budget look. Newegg.com can also have some great deals as can Onkyo's own web store.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 4 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 07:58 AM

I've had several Newcastle components and was very happy with them. But the standard Sherwood pieces are not very good, IMO.

I agree with Sam & Gene, in that price range you're better off looking for discounted name brand components from Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc. I'll also second the Accessories4Less recommendation.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users