Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-ray discs from Spain

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 02:23 AM

Amazon Spain is now listing a BRD of Le Samourai, one of Jean-Pierre Melville's most successful and most prestigious films. 

I've not heard of the releasing company so I'm going to hold off until some brave person has taken the chance and has reported on the quality. I would very much like a good disc of this film.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 10 2013 - 02:32 AM

Robin9, I have been thinking about a Spanish thread for a while so thanks for starting it.

I have bought the Spanish blu-ray release of the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films very cheaply and I found the picture quality to be very good. I am currently working my way through them and comparing them to the original MPI DVDs and the Optimum UK box set. I have never been satisfied that, although all films have been remastered, that they are all from the same source. More research required.

I have also bought the new ITV Marple films on blu-ray (5 volumes) and again the picture quality is very good. Odd, that like many other titles, they have not been released on blu-ray in the UK.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 25 2014 - 01:41 AM

The Spanish GARDEN OF EVIL is one to avoid. The packaging looks suspicious with no Fox logo and soemone has commented to say that it's a BD-R. Spain seems to have more suspect discs than anywhere else.

http://www.amazon.es...rdin del diablo

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 08:57 AM

The Spanish GARDEN OF EVIL is one to avoid. The packaging looks suspicious with no Fox logo and soemone has commented to say that it's a BD-R. Spain seems to have more suspect discs than anywhere else.

http://www.amazon.es...rdin del diablo

Thanks for the warning.

I recall the Region 1 DVD had a disclaimer about the disc using the best elements available. That DVD looked O K to me but, as Robert Harris has pointed out on several occasions, elements that produce a satisfactory DVD may not be good enough for high definition. If Fox felt the need to put up a disclaimer for the DVD, it's unlikely a high quality BRD is just around the corner.

#5 of 31 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 869 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted February 25 2014 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the warning.

I recall the Region 1 DVD had a disclaimer about the disc using the best elements available. That DVD looked O K to me but, as Robert Harris has pointed out on several occasions, elements that produce a satisfactory DVD may not be good enough for high definition. If Fox felt the need to put up a disclaimer for the DVD, it's unlikely a high quality BRD is just around the corner.

I thought the Garden of Evil French BD looked pretty decent.

http://www.amazon.fr...=garden of evil

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 09:28 AM

Are the French and Spanish discs from the same transfer?

#7 of 31 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 869 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted February 26 2014 - 10:25 AM

Are the French and Spanish discs from the same transfer?

I don't know anything about the Spanish release.  To me, the French BD looks like a HD version of the U.S. DVD, which I thought, despite the disclaimer at the beginning, looked good.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 07:22 AM

I just picked up quite a few Blu Rays today in Barcelona....   THE CARDINAL, MAN OF THE WEST,  SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA,  BROKEN ARROW,   THE TALL MEN,  GILDA,  THE WAY WEST,  LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and  THE TARNISHED ANGELS.

Ken

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,829 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 12 2014 - 07:30 AM

I just picked up quite a few Blu Rays today in Barcelona....   THE CARDINAL, MAN OF THE WEST,  SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA,  BROKEN ARROW,   THE TALL MEN,  GILDA,  THE WAY WEST,  LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and  THE TARNISHED ANGELS.

Yeah, but is the PQ any good?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 07:57 AM

I fly back to New York tomorrow and will give them all look tomorrow night.   Hopefully THE CARDINAL looks better than the German Blu.

Ken

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 09:04 AM

There's a new Spanish Blu-ray of THE BLUE MAX. What i don't understand is why the box has no Fox or Hollywood Classics copyright notice (Hollywood Classics represent Fox and other studios for licensing many back-catalogue titles in Europe). I've had plenty of experience of buying Spanish DVDs which have no copyright notice and finding they are of poor quality.  http://www.amazon.es..._rd_i=602357031

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 12:27 PM

Argh, Maties, seems the scurrilous pirates have taken over the Good Ship "Resen" off the coast of Spain!  Shiver me timbers, may haps we'll have to make them walk the plank!

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 13 2014 - 12:52 PM

There's also a Spanish release of The Big Heat and a French blu-ray later this year.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:45 PM

I don't want to upset you Ken... but out of that list I see that LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, THE CARDINAL and MAN OF THE WEST are on the Resen (Research Entertainment) label as are THE BLUE MAX and GARDEN OF EVIL which I've mentioned in this thread (some of the others on your list may be on Resen as well - I haven't checked them all) and I'm pretty sure that Resen's titles are bootlegs. The discs don't have a studio copyright and according to Amazon reviews many of them are on a BD-R. Resen.es does have a website domain but it doesn't open.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 05:20 PM

I'm glad that I read your timely post before completing my order, Doug.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 08:22 PM

THE CARDINAL is actually "yellow ray"  ...wow a faded print....alas very bad...same as the German one.

Ken

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:56 AM

I got the Spanish Blu-ray of DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS. I don't have the Twilight Time disc but from what people have said about that version, this seems to be the same, with rather washed out colours. Nevertheless, vastly better than the DVD and only about 9 euros!. It has the original trailer and a wide range of languages and sub-titles - including English.  

#18 of 31 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,561 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:34 AM

I got the Spanish Blu-ray of DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS. I don't have the Twilight Time disc but from what people have said about that version, this seems to be the same, with rather washed out colours. Nevertheless, vastly better than the DVD and only about 9 euros!. It has the original trailer and a wide range of languages and sub-titles - including English.

There have been reports that these Spanish Blu-rays from Resen are BD-Rs. Any truth to that? They are much cheaper than their Twilight Time counterparts but I've been reluctant to take a gamble.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   ABaglivi

ABaglivi

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:51 AM

I recently returned the Spanish Blu-ray of Cobra Woman because it turned out to be MOD and was not sold as such. On the other hand, Moulin Rouge (1952) was just fine, licensed from ITV.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:56 AM

There have been reports that these Spanish Blu-rays from Resen are BD-Rs. Any truth to that? They are much cheaper than their Twilight Time counterparts but I've been reluctant to take a gamble.

It looks like a normal pressed disc and I don't think a BD-R would have such a large number of alternate language and sub-title options. It's region free by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users