What's new

Tablets and Smartphones do more video streaming than Smart HDTV's (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
According to research done from Strategy Analytics (which the full paper can be had for $1995) participants from a 2010 study were contacted again regarding the online streaming habits and devices that are used. While half of the participants have since purchased a dedicated smart TV, the majority still think that connected TV technologies have so far failed to deliver what they were looking for three years ago. None of those who now own smart TVs use this product as their main source for connected media entertainment. While a few participants find the embedded Internet and applications of the smart TV useful and convenient, the majority find using apps and connected services on other mobile devices, like a tablet or smartphone, easier and more efficient. As daily life for many gets busier with growing families, they have less time to consume TV/video, so these consumers now rely much more on the convenience of personal devices and streaming video services to provide TV/video content on demand.

How many of you do streaming media from your Smart HDTV? I don't own a Smart HDTV, so I can't comment. I guess I am a dinosaur with just having HDTV's in my house.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Both of my top end Smart TVs suck to use. It's 10x better to connect a game console to them and run Netflix or Amazon Prime or HboGo than to use the native apps.You could not pay me to use the crappy web browsers on the TV. They are horribly janky and ugly.I'd rather use the apps on my refrigerator than to use apps on my tv. It's mind boggling really.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Agreed. I've got a Samsung Smart TV and all of those features are essentially worthless. Everything it can do my PS3 can do remarkably better and faster.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have Vizio and phillips smart tvs but my Roku boxes at every tv blow them away in every way. Also have a ps3 but only use it to download my ultraviolet movies I want to watch in the best quality.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I agree with the above posters. I recently had my media PC crash and had to use my Samsung Smart TV's netflick app. Talk about a POS. The picture sucked to put it simply. I have a 50mb Comcast connection and the TV was connected via wired internet.

My simple/cheap HP Desktop gives such a better picture.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Strategy Analytics revisited eight early adopter digital media users who were first interviewed in 2010.
Given mobile devices are, well...mobile, I am not surprised people are consuming more content on them then smart TVs. I keep hoping the tide will turn and high end TVs will be the ones without all that extra crap tacked on.

That being said, 8?? LOL

-Keith

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MattAlbie60 said:
Agreed. I've got a Samsung Smart TV and all of those features are essentially worthless. Everything it can do my PS3 can do remarkably better and faster.
The PS3 is made to stream video faster and more efficiently (for online game play), so streaming TV is in its element.
I've used the Panasonic Viera-app version of Netflix when the PSNetwork connection was down, and I can see the jaggy upscaled-YouTube difference in picture quality--OTOH, the PS3's YouTube app is a sadistic exercise in bugged futility, and I've been enjoying fullscreen viewing gold looking up rare move/TV-episode content on my Viera's YouTube app.
I'm not against smart-TV apps, but sure wish my set was programmed to get some BETTER ones to choose from.

(I keep hearing about folks who have better quality apps, like BBCAmerica and HBOtoGo--My lower-model Viera is stuck with low-rent clearance apps like Pandora, Viewster, Vimeo, some casual-game site that runs ads in German, and every international export-TV channel in the book...Although I have found myself watching ToonGoggles out of curiosity.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I guess there probably goes the idea of having my mother use her Panny LCD's app for NF, etc. once I finally get her set up w/ moderate speed broadband service (that should be fast enough for SD quality streaming).

What about using 2-3-yo BD players (like the ones from Panny)? Was thinking about getting a new player that could double-duty for SD quality streaming and giving our 2-3-yo Panny to my mother. I guess probably same as the smart TVs.

I had a PS3 (w/ dead optical drive), but gave it away before deciding to try streaming w/ Amazon Prime...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks