-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tablets and Smartphones do more video streaming than Smart HDTV's

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,951 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 09 2013 - 04:52 PM

According to research done from Strategy Analytics (which the full paper can be had for $1995) participants from a 2010 study were contacted again regarding the online streaming habits and devices that are used.  While half of the participants have since purchased a dedicated smart TV, the majority still think that connected TV technologies have so far failed to deliver what they were looking for three years ago. None of those who now own smart TVs use this product as their main source for connected media entertainment. While a few participants find the embedded Internet and applications of the smart TV useful and convenient, the majority find using apps and connected services on other mobile devices, like a tablet or smartphone, easier and more efficient. As daily life for many gets busier with growing families, they have less time to consume TV/video, so these consumers now rely much more on the convenience of personal devices and streaming video services to provide TV/video content on demand.

How many of you do streaming media from your Smart HDTV?  I don't own a Smart HDTV, so I can't comment.  I guess I am a dinosaur with just having HDTV's in my house.

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 8 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,869 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 09 2013 - 08:14 PM

Both of my top end Smart TVs suck to use. It's 10x better to connect a game console to them and run Netflix or Amazon Prime or HboGo than to use the native apps.

You could not pay me to use the crappy web browsers on the TV. They are horribly janky and ugly.

I'd rather use the apps on my refrigerator than to use apps on my tv. It's mind boggling really.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 8 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted July 10 2013 - 07:04 AM

Agreed. I've got a Samsung Smart TV and all of those features are essentially worthless. Everything it can do my PS3 can do remarkably better and faster.

#4 of 8 huskerbear@frontier.com

huskerbear@frontier.com

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have Vizio and phillips smart tvs but my Roku boxes at every tv blow them away in every way. Also have a ps3 but only use it to download my ultraviolet movies I want to watch in the best quality.

#5 of 8 EarleD

EarleD

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 10:56 AM

I agree with the above posters.  I recently had my media PC crash and had to use my Samsung Smart TV's netflick app.  Talk about a POS.  The picture sucked to put it simply.  I have a 50mb Comcast connection and the TV was connected via wired internet.

My simple/cheap HP Desktop gives such a better picture.

#6 of 8 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted August 12 2013 - 11:54 PM

Strategy Analytics revisited eight early adopter digital media users who were first interviewed in 2010. 

Given mobile devices are, well...mobile, I am not surprised people are consuming more content on them then smart TVs. I keep hoping the tide will turn and high end TVs will be the ones without all that extra crap tacked on.

That being said, 8?? LOL

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#7 of 8 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 12:20 AM

Agreed. I've got a Samsung Smart TV and all of those features are essentially worthless. Everything it can do my PS3 can do remarkably better and faster.

The PS3 is made to stream video faster and more efficiently (for online game play), so streaming TV is in its element.

I've used the Panasonic Viera-app version of Netflix when the PSNetwork connection was down, and I can see the jaggy upscaled-YouTube difference in picture quality--OTOH, the PS3's YouTube app is a sadistic exercise in bugged futility, and I've been enjoying fullscreen viewing gold looking up rare move/TV-episode content on my Viera's YouTube app.

I'm not against smart-TV apps, but sure wish my set was programmed to get some BETTER ones to choose from.

(I keep hearing about folks who have better quality apps, like BBCAmerica and HBOtoGo--My lower-model Viera is stuck with low-rent clearance apps like Pandora, Viewster, Vimeo, some casual-game site that runs ads in German, and every international export-TV channel in the book...Although I have found myself watching ToonGoggles out of curiosity.)

Edited by Ejanss, August 13 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#8 of 8 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well, I guess there probably goes the idea of having my mother use her Panny LCD's app for NF, etc. once I finally get her set up w/ moderate speed broadband service (that should be fast enough for SD quality streaming).

What about using 2-3-yo BD players (like the ones from Panny)?  Was thinking about getting a new player that could double-duty for SD quality streaming and giving our 2-3-yo Panny to my mother.  I guess probably same as the smart TVs.

I had a PS3 (w/ dead optical drive), but gave it away before deciding to try streaming w/ Amazon Prime...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users