Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Eureka brings 2 Sirk films to Blu in August/September

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,834 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 08 2013 - 09:11 PM

UK label Eureka are releasing the Douglas Sirk films "A Time to Love and a Time to Die", and "The Tarnished Angels", in their 'Masters of Cinema' Blu-ray collection, in August-September.

Hopefully more Sirk on Blu-ray will be on the horizon!  I have my fingers & toes crossed for "Imitation of Life", "There's Always Tomorrow", "Interlude", "Magnificent Obsession", "All I Desire" and "All That Heaven Allows".

Attached Thumbnails

• 77751_medium.jpg
  • 77752_medium.jpg

Edited by classicmovieguy, July 08 2013 - 09:47 PM.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 02:18 AM

Very good news indeed. Many thanks. I'll buy both as soon as they're available. And yes, I'd like other Sirk movies on Blu-ray too. Sirk's deployment of composition, light and color is ideal for high definition.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted July 09 2013 - 07:19 AM

Be good if they could get the stereo tracks for A TIME TO LOVE.............

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 09 2013 - 07:34 AM

Douglas Sirk is a director, like Fritz Lang, whose films are always worth watching. I am also hoping that Written on the Wind will be released on blu-ray soon. I watched it recently on Channel 4 HD and it was like seeing it for the first time. I am concerned about the AR's for Sirk's films however!

My favourite Sirk film is none of the above. It is Has Anybody Seen My Gal, ever since I first saw it on the Carlton Cinema television channel on ONdigital (subsequently ITV Digital). Anybody remember Carlton Cinema, the best channel for classic films, it has been gone 10 years now.

• classicmovieguy likes this

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,834 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 09 2013 - 01:30 PM

"Has Anybody Seen My Gal?" is a real charmer.  Sirk had a special hand at comedy, which a lot of people are still unaware because his later melodramas kind of overshadowed the earlier American films (including the fun murder-mystery "Lured" with Lucille Ball).

• Keith Cobby likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 10 2013 - 12:07 AM

You are right about Lured, what a wonderful cast. George Sanders, Charles Coburn, Boris Karloff and one of my absolute favourites - George Zucco. I must give the DVD a spin!

• classicmovieguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users