What's new

Love IS a Many-Splendored Thing (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Since the reviews are now in a whole other place, I just thought this deserved its own dedicated thread - MattH gave this a deserved rave - my only difference with him is in the rating of the transfer - he's a solid 4.5, I'm a solid 5 or more. What a great transfer this is - and if anyone ever has a question as to what color and skin tones should look like, this transfer is a poster child for it.

The films is so lovely, and Jennifer Jones and William Holden are just wonderful in it. And oh that Alfred Newman score! Just order the damn thing already.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Bruce, I ordered my copy of this 2 weeks ago and Matt's rave review along with yours has left me salivating for it to arrive, as I received my shipping notice from TT/SAE this morning and expect to have it by this weekend...am only curious as to Robert A. Harris' assessment of this newly minted image and audio harvest, but I'm waiting for my copy with bated breath... :thumbs-up-smiley:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've never seen this film, but mine shipped on Friday. Bring it on!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
haineshisway said:
They just don't make 'em like this anymore - and they should, oh, brother, they should.
Yeah, but on the plus side, we get things like The Hangover III and After Earth, so it all evens out. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, I'm jealous because I included The Driver in my order which looks like it's holding up my shipment of this fine BD.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Watched the other half of this release this evening - Sleepless in Seattle. Although there are things about the film itself that really irritate me, its basic story and the performances work so well I forgive it its irritants (the overuse of songs to tell us what the characters are feeling is the worst for me - heaven forbid Miss Ephron should just let a nice moment go by without hitting us over the head with a SONG or even let her excellent composer do HIS job - and there's just a few too man quirky characters). I've been reading with the usual amusement about people complaining about softness in the transfer - one wonders if these people have actually ever seen a movie from this era (it's only twenty years old) in a movie theater. Of course, if they did, they were watching the movie, not inspecting it, not freeze-framing it, not looking for PROBLEMS. It looks just like it should look - some shots with filters look like they've always looked - opticals look like they've always looked - detail is there as it was always there, color is perfect, and it looks like - you know - Sleepless in Seattle as shot by Sven Nykvist. A lovely transfer - fear not.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for the evaluation of Sleepless in Seattle, Bruce. I was waiting to hear from an expert because I wasn't sure what I was seeing. It just looked dull compared to the other Sony transfers I've seen recently, and I suspected it might be an older transfer. Glad to hear that's not the case. I guess it's just a product of its era.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark-P said:
Thanks for the evaluation of Sleepless in Seattle, Bruce. I was waiting to hear from an expert because I wasn't sure what I was seeing. It just looked dull compared to the other Sony transfers I've seen recently, and I suspected it might be an older transfer. Glad to hear that's not the case. I guess it's just a product of its era.
I don't think it's an older transfer - not sure if it's off an IP or internegative or camera negative - but it does look as it should - a look at other films from that year and that budget range will yield a similar look.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
People are actually complaining that a Sven Nykvist-lensed feature is soft? That's almost as bad as complaining that Geoffrey Unsworth-lensed features are hazy!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
haineshisway said:
Watched the other half of this release this evening - Sleepless in Seattle. Although there are things about the film itself that really irritate me, its basic story and the performances work so well I forgive it its irritants (the overuse of songs to tell us what the characters are feeling is the worst for me - heaven forbid Miss Ephron should just let a nice moment go by without hitting us over the head with a SONG or even let her excellent composer do HIS job - and there's just a few too man quirky characters). I've been reading with the usual amusement about people complaining about softness in the transfer - one wonders if these people have actually ever seen a movie from this era (it's only twenty years old) in a movie theater. Of course, if they did, they were watching the movie, not inspecting it, not freeze-framing it, not looking for PROBLEMS. It looks just like it should look - some shots with filters look like they've always looked - opticals look like they've always looked - detail is there as it was always there, color is perfect, and it looks like - you know - Sleepless in Seattle as shot by Sven Nykvist. A lovely transfer - fear not.
I read some of the complaints you mentioned and I'm glad to hear that they aren't warranted. Sleepless in Seattle is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine, and I look forward to getting that one. Thank you.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING last night. A beautiful transfer! Wonderful sound! Loved this film. Although I like When Harry Met Sally, it pales in all ways to LIAMST.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Damn you guys! I've promised myself that I won't spend more than $20 for any single movie on Blu-ray. But thanks to the glowing reviews of LIAMST, I've just ordered my fourth Twilight Time release! :(

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks