• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 10 2013 - 12:29 AM

Interesting subject the grading of images, whether it is relative to the source or absolute. I am an absolutist (sorry) and the best I have seen is the IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight/Rises so it is downhill from there. Incidentally, one of the very best quality transfers I have seen is the blu-ray of Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame (Cine Asia). Generally the very best images are obviously from the large format films.

Regarding Mel Brooks, he is a taste I have been unable to acquire!

#22 of 24 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 04:29 AM

Interesting subject the grading of images, whether it is relative to the source or absolute. I am an absolutist (sorry) and the best I have seen is the IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight/Rises so it is downhill from there. Incidentally, one of the very best quality transfers I have seen is the blu-ray of Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame (Cine Asia). Generally the very best images are obviously from the large format films.

It's a balancing act.  I don't want to give something a really low grade if it's the best the movie can look, but I also don't feel comfortable giving something an "A" that looks ugly.

When I write my reviews, I just hope people read the discussion of the picture and sound and don't just look at the letter grades, as they don't tell the whole story...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#23 of 24 OFFLINE   Oblivion138

Oblivion138

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 12:07 AM

And here's an odd one.

Shout Factory, obviously in a fit of cinematic lust, has given us a reversible Blu-ray insert.  Don't like the artwork?  Flip it over, and you've got the original black & white poster art.

This has become fairly common practice with Shout's BD releases these days.  Particularly with their Scream Factory releases, which tend to feature new art by Nathan Thomas Milliner on one side, and preserve the original poster art on the reverse.  Very much appreciated.

#24 of 24 OFFLINE   Oblivion138

Oblivion138

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 12:14 AM

I love Brooks's early films, up to and including Silent Movie...with The Producers and Young Frankenstein being among the funniest films I've ever seen.  High Anxiety and History of the World are moderately enjoyable.  Spaceballs, insanely overrated.  Life Stinks...well...stinks.  Though not as much as Dracula: Dead and Loving It.  Perfect opportunity to do a Young Frankenstein-style spoof, completely squandered.  And sandwiched in between the latter two, Robin Hood: Men in Tights...eh, it's moderately enjoyable, if not to the extent of High Anxiety or History of the World.

So yeah, it's a lot of up and down.  But for me, the gems are real knockouts.

Edited by Oblivion138, July 15 2013 - 12:21 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users