Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Camera recommendation for wife?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 31 2014 - 08:29 AM

A little followup on the Sony Nex 6.

Bascially, my wife likes it. It takes gorgeous photos and works well in dim light. It is also much faster than the previous super zoom it replaced. The cameraa and kit lens are fairly compact and packs well. She still shoots JPEG and organizes with iPhoto (edits in Photoshop). We haven't bought Lightroom or Aperture yet. Still waiting to buy a current eyeFi card for more room and to shoot RAW.

Personally, I regret buying it. It gets very little use. The iPhone 5s camera is so good, and so convenient, that the NEX 6 is only used on big vacations or significant outings. And 9 months later, we haven't gotten to buying any additional lenses. The 'app store' and with aspects of the NEX 6 are non-features, and seem poorly implemented and abandoned by Sony. In hindsight, the better money would have been a $500 super zoom camera vs the $900 NEX.

The NEX 6 also has a very annoying pair of design flaws: It won't charge while turned on. It won't turn off automatically, after any period of inactivity. This means that if you turn it on to transfer photos to the computer and forget about it, when you come back 3 hrs later, the battery is dead. This has bit us multiple times. (It also means the stop-motion app is useless (to me) since it can only run as long as the battery lasts; about 3 hours. Can't be used for overnight runs.)

#62 of 73 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,880 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 31 2014 - 04:54 PM

But you can hook any USB charger up to keep it charged near infinitely, no?

Loving my A6000 BTW!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#63 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 03:19 PM

So long as you've manually turned the camera off, first.

You have the camera on, and shoot or transfer.

Or you can turn it off and charge the battery.

Not both.

#64 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted November 08 2014 - 10:05 PM

Reviving this thread from its sojourn.

What zoom lens to get for the nex 6? Wife wants a more powerful zoom. I assume, the standard Sony zoom lens, but I'm not current on the options.

While I'm at it, what reccomendation for prime lens? That's low priority, but I always liked shooting at 50mm on a 35mm film camera. It would nice for holiday family stuff.

#65 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 09 2014 - 07:25 AM

If you liked a 50mm prime on a 35mm film camera, then you want to look for something around 30mm for the crop sensor Nex 6.  When I was shooting primarily with a Canon crop dSLR, I used a 28mm f/1.8. It looks like Sony makes a 35mm f/1.8 for that camera, which is the 35mm equivalent field of view of 52.5mm on your Sony.

By more powerful zoom, I assume you mean a longer focal length? What does she plan to shoot with the telephoto? For outdoor use, Sony's 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 telephoto would probably be a good start for general use. If she wants it for wildlife, then you will probably want something with an even longer focal length.  If she plans on using it indoors, then she may want something with a faster f/2.8 maximum aperture. Someone else will have to offer a suggestion there, as I do not see any lens of that type listed in that Sony mount.

#66 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted November 09 2014 - 10:57 AM

Yes, longer focal length. Her stock lens is 16mm - 50mm, I think. Her uses would mostly be outdoors, vacation vistas, animals at zoos. Indoor use would be much less, I think.

The 55mm - 210mm is the sort of thing she wants. It's not a cheap lens, but if that's the best choice, it's affordable. I didn't know if there are other zoom lenses to consider. I've never used a long zoom lens (except what comes in a $500 superzoom point and shoot), and don't know what's important and what's unimportant for a vacation photo-enthusiast. :)

http://store.sony.co...lpha-NEX-Lenses

#67 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted November 09 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm hopeful this lens will get good use. The iPhones are so good that they've become our go to camera for almost everything, including vacation snapshots. And now with slow-mo and time-lapse integrated, the NEX 6's terrible app system is wholly obsolete. But the one an iPhone can't do is zoom. I think my wife might make this lens her go-to vacation lens.

#68 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 09 2014 - 11:35 AM

Dave,

If you do not mind a silver color, KEH has used versions of that Sony lens available for $199 - $229. Check it out here. I have sold lenses to KEH in the past, and they are a very reputable site. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a lens from them.

#69 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted November 15 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll pass that along, but I suspect that Mrs DaveF will not like the aesthetics of the silver lens with her black camera :D

#70 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 16 2014 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll pass that along, but I suspect that Mrs DaveF will not like the aesthetics of the silver lens with her black camera :D

Canon and Sony make white "professional" lenses that do not match their black DSLR camera bodies -- in fact, I have two Canon white lenses (and I'm just a lowly amateur). Just tell her she will look more like a pro photographer. ;)

• DaveF likes this

#71 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted November 17 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks. My wife is willing to consider this option, since it's 40% cheaper. Are these lenses used / refurb, but otherwise identical to the standard black lens? (It's not some similar, but different lens with slightly worse performance?)

At $200 vs $350 retail, it's really worth our consideration.

#72 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 17 2014 - 09:58 AM

Dave,

KEH sells used equipment, as well as new. They have a grading system for the condition of their used equipment. That grading system is very reliable -- anything you buy from them will be at least as good as the grade, and quite often even better. As I mentioned, I have sold equipment to them in the past, and they are very reputable. Once, they even gave me more money than was originally quoted because they determined the lens deserved a higher condition grade than I stated before I sent it in.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either used or refurbished camera equipment, as long as it was from a reliable source (and KEH is that). I have bought a couple of used lenses  from trusted sources, plus a couple of refurbished items directly from Canon without any issues, and saved some money in the process. As long as the lens works properly when it arrives, it will be just as good as a brand new one (and KEH will take it back if it does not work properly).

As for the color, I think that Sony offers that system in both black and gray. I am just guessing, but there is probably not as much demand for the gray color items, hence the lower cost. Someone who actually uses the Sony system, such as Sam Posten, may be able to offer more insight there.

• DaveF and ManW_TheUncool like this

#73 of 73 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,123 posts

Posted November 22 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Scott. I just ordered a LN- unit from KEH for about $100 off new retail. :) I also saw that retail, the black body is harder to find.

Christmas shopping for my wife is done and over budget :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users