What's new

Monsters University (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

517grY5BySL._SY300_.jpg
61V2-UmFVbL._SY300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Boy, Disney/Pixar didn't waste any time getting this prepped for the home video market, did they??? It's only been in theaters for about 2 or 3 weeks!!! Ordered multiple copies of both editions for myself and friends who are fans of this series of Pixar films...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Glad to see that Disney has abandoned (at least for this title) the "3D or 2D - not both" crap they pulled on the "Oz" movie earlier this year. Hopefully they learned their lesson and that experiment is dead.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
lukejosephchung said:
Boy, Disney/Pixar didn't waste any time getting this prepped for the home video market, did they??? It's only been in theaters for about 2 or 3 weeks!!! Ordered multiple copies of both editions for myself and friends who are fans of this series of Pixar films...
it's not just Disney. It's everyone. World War Z (Paramount) is up for preorder, Despicable Me 2 (Universal), White House Down (Sony), too. This is the new trend for tentpole movies.

That being said, preordered. Shocking, right?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I'm looking at this phenomenon of early pre-ordering availability of tentpole movies from the major studios from the perspective of a buyer who can remember when it took years, not months or weeks for these movies to come out on the home video market..."Star Wars" & "E.T.-The Extraterrestrial" being the most obvious examples from the days of VHS/Beta and laserdisc...it's a little disconcerting at first to see these movies become available so quickly after original theatrical release when the opposite used to be true...not a complant, merely an observation!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luke,

Interesting point. You just took me back 31 years.

In the days of VHS there was always a considerable
amount of wait and wonder as to when a favorite film
would be released to the format.

You are most correct that these days the window
between theatrical and home video is very short. One
usually doesn't have to wait too long to own their favorite
film.

...but you are right, a far different cry from the way it
used to be.

Side Note: I remember working in a video store in the
early 80s and learning that Disney was actually going to
release one of their animated classics to VHS. If I remember
correctly, it was Pinnochio. It was quite an event to see a
studio that up to that point was hesitant to release any of their
classic films to home video announce perhaps the biggest
gem within their library. It arrived in a padded plastic case
which soon turned out to be the norm for all their classic films
that would be released to VHS.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Remember when they released tapes priced so high, they were meant for rental only?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was hoping there'd ne $5 coupon to clip. I wonder if this will drop in price before release? Ordered it anyway.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luke,

I bought hundreds of VHS tapes priced at $90 apiece for several years. It was the only way to own them.

As for Amazon preorders...

I tend to preorder movies as soon as they are announced on Amazon.

Why? The price tends to go up a few days afterwards.

Recent example of this trend is HOUSE OF WAX. It just went up several dollars
since I announced the preorder last week.

Now, with that in mind, the price tends to go back down in some cases when
Amazon starts competing with stores like Best Buy. However, that is not always
the case.

So, my advice is to always preorder when you see my post my announcement
(whether you use our link or not). You will always be guaranteed the lowest price
no matter how much that price fluctuates from now till release date.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ronald Epstein said:
Luke,

I bought hundreds of VHS tapes priced at $90 apiece for several years. It was the only way to own them.

As for Amazon preorders...

I tend to preorder movies as soon as they are announced on Amazon.

Why? The price tends to go up a few days afterwards.

Recent example of this trend is HOUSE OF WAX. It just went up several dollars
since I announced the preorder last week.

Now, with that in mind, the price tends to go back down in some cases when
Amazon starts competing with stores like Best Buy. However, that is not always
the case.

So, my advice is to always preorder when you see my post my announcement
(whether you use our link or not). You will always be guaranteed the lowest price
no matter how much that price fluctuates from now till release date.
Ron, your early home video purchasing habits sound similar to what was MY practice 30+years ago...$80-90 VHS tape purchase were the norm until sell-through pricing became the norm in the late '80s...I remember what a big deal it was when Paramount released the VHS/Beta version of "Star Trek 2-The Wrath Of Khan" for only $40 and basically created the home video sellthrough market in 1983...what a long way the market's come in 3 decades!!!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
lukejosephchung said:
I'm looking at this phenomenon of early pre-ordering availability of tentpole movies from the major studios from the perspective of a buyer who can remember when it took years, not months or weeks for these movies to come out on the home video market..."Star Wars" & "E.T.-The Extraterrestrial" being the most obvious examples from the days of VHS/Beta and laserdisc...it's a little disconcerting at first to see these movies become available so quickly after original theatrical release when the opposite used to be true...not a complant, merely an observation!!!
Oh, agreed. I'm not as seasoned as you and Ron, but I do remember when MTV actually played music videos. I even remember my conversion from fullscreen to widescreen. ;)

I like this idea of the preorder being up when the film is in theaters. There's really no chance of me not knowing something I liked is coming out, but with all the media hype right now for Monster's U (for example), it makes sense to put this out there too. I have a long list of titles on preorder. Amazon is really good about price matching BB and Target and, with Prime, I get the title on release day.

Now, how long it takes for me to actually watch it is another story!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I hope that this includes The Blue Umbrella in 3D. I saw a 2D screening of Monsters U.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, your early home video purchasing habits sound similar to what was MY practice 30+years ago...$80-90 VHS tape purchase were the norm until sell-through pricing became the norm in the late '80s...I remember what a big deal it was when Paramount released the VHS/Beta version of "Star Trek 2-The Wrath Of Khan" for only $40 and basically created the home video sellthrough market in 1983...what a long way the market's come in 3 decades!!!
Wow. Had always planned to make that a trivia question should we ever
do such a contest. You knew that answer. Yes, "Star Trek WOK" was the
first sell-through. I believe it was followed up by An Office and A Gentleman
and Flashdance. Do you remember what the first sell-through title was for Fox?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ronald Epstein said:
I bought a bunch of Fox titles on their Magnetic Video label which were sell through. I remember Valley of the Dolls and The Seven Year Itch, but I don't know that either was the first one.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ronald Epstein said:
If I recall correctly, Ron, Fox was several years late to the sellthrough home video market in the '80s, not lowering their first-run titles to the $30-40 price range until about 1985 or 86...you'll recall that when "Star Wars" originally came out on VHS/Beta & laserdisc, the tapes cost $90-100 and didn't go sellthrough until 3 or 4 years later...buying the laserdisc was way cheaper at only $35, which also provided superior picture quality and sound to tape in those days as well...I honestly don't recall what was their first first-run sellthrough title because by the time it came out, it was lost in the shuffle of the other companies lowering prices for first-run titles from 1983-85.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You are correct. Fox did enter sell-through rather late in the game.

Their first title? Give My Regards To Broad Street. A real dud, but
it was released at $29.95.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jason_V said:
it's not just Disney. It's everyone. World War Z (Paramount) is up for preorder, Despicable Me 2 (Universal), White House Down (Sony), too. This is the new trend for tentpole movies.

That being said, preordered. Shocking, right?
I'm on Warner's marketing survey community, and just about a week before and after every film, we're polled about "Would you pre-order the Hobbit if it was announced early? Would you order the digital-download version of The Great Gatsby instead of the disk if it was available?"

In other words, it's not just about the Marketing Hype anymore ("We're so big, we've even got a BIG HOME-THEATER RELEASE!"), they also want to establish the home-theater sales numbers safety-net while the movie is still in theaters, or before opening, so they don't have to wait those uncertain months in between to figure out how one is going to make up for the other at the stockholders' meeting.
For now, though, as far as they believe we're concerned, it's still Bragging Rights. (And their tech-paranoid belief that we're all saying "Movie, shmovie, hurry up and announce the cellphone stream!")

Although, wasn't "Audiences aware of the disk version's release date" what killed off Monsters Inc. 3D in theaters? Seem to remember that was the overriding theory at the time.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I'll be VERY surprised if Warner's doesn't announce the street date and price point for their big summer hit "Man Of Steel" before the summer's out...and even MORE surprised if it isn't before Thanksgiving weekend/Black Friday!!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ronald Epstein said:
Side Note: I remember working in a video store in the
early 80s and learning that Disney was actually going to
release one of their animated classics to VHS. If I remember
correctly, it was Pinnochio. It was quite an event to see a
studio that up to that point was hesitant to release any of their
classic films to home video announce perhaps the biggest
gem within their library. It arrived in a padded plastic case
which soon turned out to be the norm for all their classic films
that would be released to VHS.
Actually, Pinocchio was the second animated feature to be released on Home Video, the first being Robin Hood. That's of course not counting Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland which were both released pretty much at the birth of the home video format, and only because they had already been shown on The Wonderful World of Disney TV program as early as 1954.

I remember buying all the Disney animated features as soon as they came out. And do you realize how atrocious the transfers were? We were all so naive that we thought they were great! :lol:

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia (for what it's worth) and learned that Dumbo and Alice were released on home video in 1981, Robin Hood in 1984 and Pinocchio in 1985, which concurs with my memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks