Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Monsters University (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,033 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 06:53 AM

517grY5BySL._SY300_.jpg 61V2-UmFVbL._SY300_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 05 2013 - 09:22 AM

Boy, Disney/Pixar didn't waste any time getting this prepped for the home video market, did they??? It's only been in theaters for about 2 or 3 weeks!!! Ordered multiple copies of both editions for myself and friends who are fans of this series of Pixar films...

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,523 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 05 2013 - 09:41 AM

Glad to see that Disney has abandoned (at least for this title) the "3D or 2D - not both" crap they pulled on the "Oz" movie earlier this year. Hopefully they learned their lesson and that experiment is dead.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,878 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 05 2013 - 05:36 PM

Boy, Disney/Pixar didn't waste any time getting this prepped for the home video market, did they??? It's only been in theaters for about 2 or 3 weeks!!! Ordered multiple copies of both editions for myself and friends who are fans of this series of Pixar films...

it's not just Disney.  It's everyone.  World War Z (Paramount) is up for preorder, Despicable Me 2 (Universal), White House Down (Sony), too.  This is the new trend for tentpole movies.

That being said, preordered.  Shocking, right?

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm looking at this phenomenon of early pre-ordering availability of tentpole movies from the major studios from the perspective of a buyer who can remember when it took years, not months or weeks for these movies to come out on the home video market..."Star Wars" & "E.T.-The Extraterrestrial" being the most obvious examples from the days of VHS/Beta and laserdisc...it's a little disconcerting at first to see these movies become available so quickly after original theatrical release when the opposite used to be true...not a complant, merely an observation!!!

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,033 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 10:33 AM

Luke,

Interesting point.  You just took me back 31 years.

In the days of VHS there was always a considerable

amount of wait and wonder as to when a favorite film

would be released to the format.

You are most correct that these days the window

between theatrical and home video is very short. One

usually doesn't have to wait too long to own their favorite

film.  

...but you are right, a far different cry from the way it

used to be.

Side Note:  I remember working in a video store in the

early 80s and learning that Disney was actually going to

release one of their animated classics to VHS.  If I remember

correctly, it was Pinnochio.  It was quite an event to see a

studio that up to that point was hesitant to release any of their

classic films to home video announce perhaps the biggest 

gem within their library.  It arrived in a padded plastic case

which soon turned out to be the norm for all their classic films

that would be released to VHS.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 20 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,461 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 06 2013 - 11:04 AM

Remember when they released tapes priced so high, they were meant for rental only?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 20 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,461 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 06 2013 - 11:17 AM

I was hoping there'd ne $5 coupon to clip. I wonder if this will drop in price before release? Ordered it anyway.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,033 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 11:43 AM

Luke,

I bought hundreds of VHS tapes priced at $90 apiece for several years.  It was the only way to own them.

As for Amazon preorders...

I tend to preorder movies as soon as they are announced on Amazon.  

Why?  The price tends to go up a few days afterwards.

Recent example of this trend is HOUSE OF WAX.  It just went up several dollars

since I announced the preorder last week.

Now, with that in mind, the price tends to go back down in some cases when

Amazon starts competing with stores like Best Buy.  However, that is not always

the case.

So, my advice is to always preorder when you see my post my announcement

(whether you use our link or not).  You will always be guaranteed the lowest price

no matter how much that price fluctuates from now till release date.

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 02:25 PM

Luke,

I bought hundreds of VHS tapes priced at $90 apiece for several years.  It was the only way to own them.

As for Amazon preorders...

I tend to preorder movies as soon as they are announced on Amazon.  

Why?  The price tends to go up a few days afterwards.

Recent example of this trend is HOUSE OF WAX.  It just went up several dollars

since I announced the preorder last week.

Now, with that in mind, the price tends to go back down in some cases when

Amazon starts competing with stores like Best Buy.  However, that is not always

the case.

So, my advice is to always preorder when you see my post my announcement

(whether you use our link or not).  You will always be guaranteed the lowest price

no matter how much that price fluctuates from now till release date.

Ron, your early home video purchasing habits sound similar to what was MY practice 30+years ago...$80-90 VHS tape purchase were the norm until sell-through pricing became the norm in the late '80s...I remember what a big deal it was when Paramount released the VHS/Beta version of "Star Trek 2-The Wrath Of Khan" for only $40 and basically created the home video sellthrough market in 1983...what a long way the market's come in 3 decades!!!

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,878 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 06 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'm looking at this phenomenon of early pre-ordering availability of tentpole movies from the major studios from the perspective of a buyer who can remember when it took years, not months or weeks for these movies to come out on the home video market..."Star Wars" & "E.T.-The Extraterrestrial" being the most obvious examples from the days of VHS/Beta and laserdisc...it's a little disconcerting at first to see these movies become available so quickly after original theatrical release when the opposite used to be true...not a complant, merely an observation!!!

Oh, agreed.  I'm not as seasoned as you and Ron, but I do remember when MTV actually played music videos.  I even remember my conversion from fullscreen to widescreen.  ;)

I like this idea of the preorder being up when the film is in theaters.  There's really no chance of me not knowing something I liked is coming out, but with all the media hype right now for Monster's U (for example), it makes sense to put this out there too.  I have a long list of titles on preorder.  Amazon is really good about price matching BB and Target and, with Prime, I get the title on release day. 

Now, how long it takes for me to actually watch it is another story!

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,546 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 06 2013 - 05:50 PM

I hope that this includes The Blue Umbrella in 3D.  I saw a 2D screening of Monsters U.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,033 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 11:00 PM

Ron, your early home video purchasing habits sound similar to what was MY practice 30+years ago...$80-90 VHS tape purchase were the norm until sell-through pricing became the norm in the late '80s...I remember what a big deal it was when Paramount released the VHS/Beta version of "Star Trek 2-The Wrath Of Khan" for only $40 and basically created the home video sellthrough market in 1983...what a long way the market's come in 3 decades!!!

Wow.  Had always planned to make that a trivia question should we ever

do such a contest.  You knew that answer.  Yes, "Star Trek WOK" was the

first sell-through.  I believe it was followed up by An Office and A Gentleman

and Flashdance.  Do you remember what the first sell-through title was for Fox?

Ronald J Epstein

#14 of 20 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,817 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 07 2013 - 04:26 AM

I bought a bunch of Fox titles on their Magnetic Video label which were sell through. I remember Valley of the Dolls and The Seven Year Itch, but I don't know that either was the first one.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 01:30 PM

If I recall correctly, Ron, Fox was several years late to the sellthrough home video market in the '80s, not lowering their first-run titles to the $30-40 price range until about 1985 or 86...you'll recall that when "Star Wars" originally came out on VHS/Beta & laserdisc, the tapes cost $90-100 and didn't go sellthrough until 3 or 4 years later...buying the laserdisc was way cheaper at only $35, which also provided superior picture quality and sound to tape in those days as well...I honestly don't recall what was their first first-run sellthrough title because by the time it came out, it was lost in the shuffle of the other companies lowering prices for first-run titles from 1983-85.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,033 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 09:44 PM

You are correct.  Fox did enter sell-through rather late in the game.

Their first title?  Give My Regards To Broad Street.  A real dud, but

it was released at $29.95.

Ronald J Epstein

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,093 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 01:52 PM

it's not just Disney.  It's everyone.  World War Z (Paramount) is up for preorder, Despicable Me 2 (Universal), White House Down (Sony), too.  This is the new trend for tentpole movies.

That being said, preordered.  Shocking, right?

I'm on Warner's marketing survey community, and just about a week before and after every film, we're polled about "Would you pre-order the Hobbit if it was announced early?  Would you order the digital-download version of The Great Gatsby instead of the disk if it was available?"

In other words, it's not just about the Marketing Hype anymore ("We're so big, we've even got a BIG HOME-THEATER RELEASE!"), they also want to establish the home-theater sales numbers safety-net while the movie is still in theaters, or before opening, so they don't have to wait those uncertain months in between to figure out how one is going to make up for the other at the stockholders' meeting.

For now, though, as far as they believe we're concerned, it's still Bragging Rights.  (And their tech-paranoid belief that we're all saying "Movie, shmovie, hurry up and announce the cellphone stream!")

Although, wasn't "Audiences aware of the disk version's release date" what killed off Monsters Inc. 3D in theaters?  Seem to remember that was the overriding theory at the time.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'll be VERY surprised if Warner's doesn't announce the street date and price point for their big summer hit "Man Of Steel" before the summer's out...and even MORE surprised if it isn't before Thanksgiving weekend/Black Friday!!!

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,408 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 08 2013 - 06:14 PM

Side Note:  I remember working in a video store in the

early 80s and learning that Disney was actually going to

release one of their animated classics to VHS.  If I remember

correctly, it was Pinnochio.  It was quite an event to see a

studio that up to that point was hesitant to release any of their

classic films to home video announce perhaps the biggest 

gem within their library.  It arrived in a padded plastic case

which soon turned out to be the norm for all their classic films

that would be released to VHS.

Actually, Pinocchio was the second animated feature to be released on Home Video, the first being Robin Hood. That's of course not counting Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland which were both released pretty much at the birth of the home video format, and only because they had already been shown on The Wonderful World of Disney TV program as early as 1954.

I remember buying all the Disney animated features as soon as they came out. And do you realize how atrocious the transfers were? We were all so naive that we thought they were great!  :lol:

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia (for what it's worth) and learned that Dumbo and Alice were released on home video in 1981, Robin Hood in 1984 and Pinocchio in 1985, which concurs with my memories.

Edited by Mark-P, July 08 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,945 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 10 2013 - 12:53 PM

Put me down for the 3D combo, a great movie!  Speaking of VHS I remember buying Sleeping Beauty used for $110 ouch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users